Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca
And proper loading!
Don't forget that!
Here's a link to a "game" that's kind of fun- it's at a British "caravan" site, and it has you "load" a trailer and then rates you on how well you've done in terms of achieving stability...
Bailey of Bristol - Caravan Stability Studies

Francesca
I"ll do it but what if we only have clothes and maybe about only 100 lbs of stuff?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club

You sound like a better traveler than I am, Boubou...
I've got 100 lbs of stuff in my purse!
I'm one of those types that sees available space as something to be used, and used up

Do you have a trailer yet, or are you in the "looking" stages?

Francesca

Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

I've got 100 lbs of stuff in my purse!
Francesca

you should see my purse! a little flat roots purse and I cannot even fill that up! wallet, sunglasses, phone and keys.
I got myself a gigantic purse but I don't know what else I need to put into it!

yea, light travelers, just the chairs, 2 plates, 2 cups, frying pan, pot, coffee maker, toaster, clothes, towels, sheets, flashlight, trailer stuff, tv, minimal food stuff. you should see this trailer, way too much cupboard space and closets,

We got the trailer, we went in for a jayco and we ended up with the Shasta Revere 21 FBS LE. I just assumed because of the length of it, the truck would be fine towing it but after I got it I started looking at the numbers and freaked out. It is heavy but it will be ok to tow. That's how I got interested in your thread, the tongue weight. I'm a bit concerned my tt tongue weight is high at 750 lbs (that's dry, I haven't weighted it yet)
Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think your tongue weight is pretty much where it should be- it's certainly in the 10-15% range right now.
For stability, heavier is better.
Does your concern have to do with your truck's hitch weight limits?
I'd be really interested in what the trailer and tongue weigh when the rig's loaded, especially if the water/waste tanks are full.
Where are the wet tanks on your trailer, by the way?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I think your tongue weight is pretty much where it should be- it's certainly in the 10-15% range right now.
For stability, heavier is better.
Does your concern have to do with your truck's hitch weight limits?
I'd be really interested in what the trailer and tongue weigh when the rig's loaded, especially if the water/waste tanks are full.
Where are the wet tanks on your trailer, by the way?

Thanks!

Francesca
I'll go and get the trailer weight on saturday before going camping.
The truck has class IV hitch and good to 1045 lbs so that's good
My concern about the tongue weight is more about the fact that it's factory number and i assume it is probably higher with the propane tanks, battery and awning. I was worried that the Reese dual cam WD / sway control wouldn't work because the trunion bars are rated 800 lbs
The 50 gal fresh water is over the axels and the grey and black are in the back i thin (not sure)
I won't travel with full tanks and if I really have to, not for too far
Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I don't know much about trunion bars- nothing, as a matter of fact!
If that 800 lb. number is tongue weight limit, you might be pushing the outer edges of their capacity...
You might ask your dealer if that's an O.K. combination.
I'll sure be interested inn hearing what you find out about the weight!

Have fun on your (first?) trip!

Francesca
Old 09-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Well, I don't know much about trunion bars- nothing, as a matter of fact!
If that 800 lb. number is tongue weight limit, you might be pushing the outer edges of their capacity...
You might ask your dealer if that's an O.K. combination.
I'll sure be interested inn hearing what you find out about the weight!

Have fun on your (first?) trip!

Francesca
I had the dealer order the 1200 lbs (there is no 1000 lbs )The day i went for the install he had both sizes there but he strongly suggested i get the 800 lbs. He thought 1200 was overkill so i have to trust what he says, he know a lot more about this sort of thing.

Yes first trip
Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sounds like you're good to go then, Boubou!

Have a great time!

Francesca
Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for your help, I'll post pictures
Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #38

Francesca,

Something that no one has mentioned during the early discussion on tongue weight for a dual axle trailer is the effect of the trailer's attitude while towing. I mean, is the trailer sitting level or nose high or nose low?

With a dual axle trailer, as you lower the front, more weight is transferred to the front axle. This will have the effect of reducing the tongue weight. If the trailer is sitting nose high, the more weight is carried on the rear axle and the tongue weight is greater.

Generally, you want the trailer to be level when you tow it, but if you can't load it properly, I suppose you could adjust for that by raising or lowering the ball. I haven't tried this, and don't recommend it, but it might work that way.

-- Loren
Old 09-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren B. View Post
Francesca,

With a dual axle trailer, as you lower the front, more weight is transferred to the front axle. This will have the effect of reducing the tongue weight. If the trailer is sitting nose high, the more weight is carried on the rear axle and the tongue weight is greater.

-- Loren
Hi, Loren

Hoooooo-boy.
That's exactly the opposite of an answer I got on another forum!
See how I coded the quote?
Are you saying:"Ball lower = tongue weight lower?
And "Ball higher= tongue weight higher"?

That doesn't make sense to me.
Especially since I just got told the OPPOSITE was true.

Forgive my density, but ...

Francesca
Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #40

Francesca,
You are correct, Loren is saying it wrong, I guess. If a trailer is nose down, more weight is toward the front; nose up, more weight toward the rear.
You always want 10-12% on the tongue (those % can vary, but ALWAYS want the trailer with weight on the tongue. Too little, lots of sway; too much, less control of the steering wheels on the tow vehicle.
A perfectly balanced trailer won't tow well, it needs more weight on the front than the rear. As the trailer is purchased, it will sit on the tongue jack--right? If there is more weight on the rear than the front, the tongue would not be on the ground--makes sense?
You can only change the weight distribution of the trailer by moving dead weight in the trailer itself, (or moving the location of the axles) but you can change the effect it has on the tow vehicle by adjusting the weight-distributing bars. More tension on the bars moves weight toward the front of the tow vehicle. If you do not have a WD type hitch, full tongue weight is on the tow vehicle hitch--too much and you take weight off the steering axle.
It is both a complicated and simple situation, but laws of physics can't be broken without causing towing problems.
Wish I could have made it more clear, but ...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's perfectly clear, Joe- I thought I understood all that to begin with!
I did get confused by Loren's assertion- guess he just got the words backwards.
I'm still not so sure about the way weight's distributed on a dual axle rig, though, and how proper tongue ratio-to-total weight is determined...
We're having a Summit Meeting this weekend (AKA backyard BBQ) at which all this will be discussed.
Wouldn't be surprised if somebody shows up with a Shurline Scale and drags us all off to weigh tongues at the RV lots!

Francesca
Old 09-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
That's perfectly clear, Joe- I thought I understood all that to begin with!
I did get confused by Loren's assertion- guess he just got the words backwards.
I'm still not so sure about the way weight's distributed on a dual axle rig, though, and how proper tongue ratio-to-total weight is determined...
We're having a Summit Meeting this weekend (AKA backyard BBQ) at which all this will be discussed.
Wouldn't be surprised if somebody shows up with a Shurline Scale and drags us all off to weigh tongues at the RV lots!

Francesca
Francesca,

I hate to tell you, but Loren is correct. When you lift the tongue of the trailer, you also lift the front wheels a bit, removing some weight from them. The weight thus removed is transferred mostly to the rear axle and less to the tongue (because it's further away from the axle).
Don't worry about the extra axle confusing the calculation of the weight distribution. What matters is the total weight of the trailer, the tongue weight and the keeping the distribution of the carried weight between the
two axles equal. You can resolve all these questions with a visit to a scale where it all can be weighed component by component.

Monte
retired Mechanical Engineer

Tags
dual axle, tongue weight, trailer sway