Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Dual rear exhausts with towing?

We are planning an eventual upgrade on our trucks exhaust. We would like dual rear-exit exhausts, but I am curious if anyone out there has any experience with these and towing.

Are there any issues that you know of? Or should it not be an issue at all?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 02:34 AM   #2

I put dual cat back exhausts on all of my trucks within days of their purchase. I have never had a problem. I have run straight piped (current), Flowmaster, and generic Glass Pack mufflers.

I have a perceived better gas mileage (maybe 1-2 MPG) and power. But do not have any quantitative evidence.

NDKoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #3

If you are wondering about heat on the trailer, should not be too much to have an effect that far back. Soot could discolor the trailer front, if not washed off. This is true of stock exhausted trucks too. Any soot should be washed off ASAP.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #4

If you have a diesel truck you can use a aftermarket turned down tip to keep soot off of the trailer. If you are worried about that.

I am using a 5" TBE with a 6"TIP, exits right after the rear wheel on the passenger side. I have never had soot on my trailer from the truck with this set up. I do have some soot build up on the bumper and the lower rear quarter panel but not the trailer.

Jim W.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #5

Buy the best you can afford. The low end ones can cause a drone sound in the cab. BTDT.
As far as duals go the exhaust fumes shouldn't do anymore than a single. Rock chips are worse.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
I worry about rock chips, too lol. I need a rock guard for our front window. For some reason or another it didn't have one, even though they come stock with it. The one on the rear window is still there, though o.O

I have had no luck finding one of those, for any manufacturer :[

Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Dual exhaust on almost all late-model tow vehicles with V8 engines is for image only. They do zero good for performance. That's because so-called "cat-back" duals still have the single catalytic converter. And if the engine is turbo-charged such as on most diesels, then you still have the restriction of the single (or in-line dual) exhaust path until after it passes the turbo.

On non-turbo-charged engines such as the F-150 5.0L and 6.2L V8, in order for dual exhaust to do any good they have to be manifold-back exhaust systems. Best is tuned "headers" to replace the exhaust manifold, but you can gain a lot of performance with a manifold-back system. To remain legal, that means two expensive catalytic converters and dual everything else in the exhaust system. Very complicated because of the exhaust emissions systems in those newer trucks.

If your goal is racket and not measureable performance, then replacing the muffler and resonators with louder components can change the exhaust note without the expense of dual exhaust. However, even that can get complicated if your vehicle's engine management computer uses exhaust back pressure as part of the data it uses to determine how much fuel to send to the injectors.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #8

^
Almost all of that is not correct
TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
On non-turbo-charged engines such as the F-150 5.0L and 6.2L V8, in order for dual exhaust to do any good they have to be manifold-back exhaust systems. Best is tuned "headers" to replace the exhaust manifold, but you can gain a lot of performance with a manifold-back system. To remain legal, that means two expensive catalytic converters and dual everything else in the exhaust system. Very complicated because of the exhaust emissions systems in those newer trucks.
Before I bought my 14' Tundra, I knew gas mileage was not going to be good. With that said, over the last year I asked other Tundra users who had changed their exhaust system or muffler if it helped gas mileage. Most said it did. When I called Flowmaster and talked to one of their tech's about a "cat-back system, he said NO! customers are buying our product to get a different sounding exhaust period....I can't tell you it will or will not improve HP. or mileage.

I have only had the truck for a month, but I'm hoping...O Lord...I hope.. with the larger V-8 it will tow my 25' tt at lower RPM's and less effort. I was getting 11-11.75 mpg towing with a V-8 4Runner SUV. My old tt (24' / 7" less height ) I was getting 12 - 12.5 mpg.

It does make sense that going with a dual system all the way from the manifolds would be the way to "free-flow" the exhaust. The Tundra is dual all the way to the muffler (2 in / 1 out). I wonder if you change that to 2 in / 2 out, thus making it dual all the way.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrenSkywolf View Post
We are planning an eventual upgrade on our trucks exhaust. We would like dual rear-exit exhausts, but I am curious if anyone out there has any experience with these and towing.

Are there any issues that you know of? Or should it not be an issue at all?
It will likely depend on what truck you are using. If it is a diesel without a DPF then you would likely see some soot on whatever you are towing. On a diesel equipped with a DPF it should remain fairly clean. One of the test for a cracked DPF is to hold a clean white shop towel, sheet, paper towel, etc and rev the engine. Look for any soot or black spots. If there is the DPF is cracked.

A modern gasser is pretty clean out of the exhaust. With the tight fuel controls and emission controls the exhaust is really clean with some water that exits the tail pipe. There will be some discoloration of the exhaust and the water may spit on the towed vehicle. In the case of turbo charged gas engines the exhaust is usually blacker than a normally aspirated engine. So there may be some increased discoloration on the towed vehicle. Just stay ahead of any possible discoloration by regular cleanings of the towed vehicle.

As far as performance with adding dual exhaust, you may actually loose power. In the case of some turbo engines a single 3" exhaust will out flow a dual 2 1/2" exhaust. On some of the older Camaro SS and Trans Am's, GM used a single exhaust system vs dual due to increased performance. Removing the factory exhaust manifold to headers will typically add top end power but you will loose low end torque. The factory exhaust on newer vehicles will be the best for all around power. Shorty headers are better at maintaining most of the low end torque and adding slightly more top end but you would never really feel it. I have had customers want to have me add headers to a mostly stock vehicle and I would warn them that they would loose low end power. They were adamant that the internet said they wouldn't. Well I added the headers and they usually returned in days to have the stock manifolds put back on. But there are the people that want as much top end power and keeps them.

Some older vehicles with 454's and 460's usually do get improvement with better exhaust. But this is because they all had tiny exhaust systems that was very restrictive. These newer vehicles with high HP/torque engines that are smaller have very well engineered exhaust and intake systems. Plus they are very reliable. Factory exhaust systems almost never rust out like aftermarket systems.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Before I bought my 14' Tundra, I knew gas mileage was not going to be good. With that said, over the last year I asked other Tundra users who had changed their exhaust system or muffler if it helped gas mileage. Most said it did. When I called Flowmaster and talked to one of their tech's about a "cat-back system, he said NO! customers are buying our product to get a different sounding exhaust period....I can't tell you it will or will not improve HP. or mileage.

What you find with this is when someone changed something to increase MPG they actually change their driving style. They want to see the increase in MPG so they drive much more conservative, thus the increased MPG. Only they do it subconsciously.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #12

Well calling flow master I would expect that answer as there product is just absolute garbage in ever way.

Go with good companies such as magnaflow,borla,heart throb,mbrp.

And as going dual exhaust out the back. This will net you no improvement on performance because most cat back systems do not go from the exhaust manifold. Most of the systems just use a dual in dual out muffler. So save your money and get a cat back with a nice looking single side out exhaust.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I guess I should have elaborated for everyone. It is gas, not diesel. I guess I'm used to the vehicle forums I am a member of, where your vehicle is listed below your username. '03 Ram 5.7.

I understand that a cat-back won't really net any gains. It is more for looks, and the muffler for sound. This truck is also our daily driver. I just really wanted to know if them being aimed at the trailer had any issues.

I also have shorty headers on it. One of the manifolds got a crack in it, so instead of replacing it, and worrying about when the other one would go, I had a decent set of shorties put on (truck is coming up on 200k, but was very well maintained). I have other mods planned for it as well in the future, so they made sense, and for cost compared to new manifolds, they were worth it.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:21 AM   #14

We bought our 1st 5th wheel in 92 and I had a 88 Ranger STX V6 towing it. First trip of 150 miles the studs on the exhaust manifolds stretched an caused leaks.
Installed a Dynomax muffler by Walker Mufflers with matching pipes and pulled that 5700 lbs trailer all over the eastern states and Canada for 3 more years with not one single issue.
I rev the engine to the red line going up hill for over 50k miles and never hurt it a bit.
I tested the newer 4.0Lt Rangers and they were dogs compared to my improved 2.9Lt.
When I traded it for a diesel I advised the salesman that the truck came with a warning to watch the red line because it could get there fast with no load.
Fuel mileage did suffer but performance was spectacular for the size of the motor.

Tags
towing