Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
Dual wheel 1 ton

I could use somebodys knowlede on these trucks ,never owned one.My question is how many people buy 4 wheel drive in this model,and how are they in northern climate with snow?Do you run radials because of dual wheels, not snow tires.Also what kind of clearance is there for rough out of the way roads?Also with diesels 3500 or4500 what kind of mileage to expect.

wylie pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a '06 Dodge 3500 Dually 4x4, bought it new. Towing 24,000#, it gets 10+ mpg, solo at 70-75, 19+ mpg. It will run 85+ towing, but the milage really suffers (tried it out one time just to see, was in the middle of Texas, could only kill myself). I was in heavy snow and the truck performed flawlessly. You just have to use common sense and you won't have any problems.

GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Living in Oregon I bought a 4X2 dually. I have never needed or used 4X4 when towing so why waste the money on something I don't use? Others will say 4X4 is mandatory when towing. So evaluate your needs/wants and but accordingly. Dually is no different than a SRW truck except you have two extra tires in the rear. Some will claim it is wider and harder to park. But if you check for yourself, the widest place on ANY truck is still the mirrors. So if the mirrors go the rear fenders will also go. The only complaint I have is the ride is a bit rougher. Still not as miserable as some of the old farm trucks I used to drive. LOL You will see by my signature that I have a 6.7L automatic 4.10 rear end dually and pulling my 13,350 fiver I can run all day with the cruise control on up and down the hills with no problem maintaining speeds. It still only has about 6700 miles on it, so it is hard to give you actual mileage, but going 10 miles each way to work I am seeing around 13 MPG. Empty on the highway I have seen 17. Towing I usually see 9-11. Remember where I live and so I am not on the flat lands with these numbers and I tow at the speed limit, not 50-55.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We lived in NE Oklahoma for a few years and I had the 4 x 2, F350 dually as a daily driver. Drove it on ice and snow on the roads a number of times and never had any issues. I did carry about 300 to 400# of bagged sand in the rear...piled up across the rear axle. Never any traction problems on road surfaces. Like anything, if you use good sense, a 2 wheel drive will work for most cases. Now if you are in an area with LOTS of snow and need a 4 wheel drive, you may as well get one.

But a 4 wheel drive will have a negative impact on fuel economy, lower towing capacity and higher cost maintenance.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
wylie pa
We have a 01 Dodge 350 dually 4X4 with 410. It has a chip. By keeping my foot out of it and driving no more tha 60 I get 12/13 towing and 17/18 solo. If I get heavy footed it will suck up the fuel. We live on a farm so 4X4 is very usefull at times. I had to chain up truck & TT to go over the Siskiyou a few years ago and down by Weed,Ca if you didn't have 4X4 you had to chain up and there was more snow there than on the pass. I only use 4X4 to get going and uphill. I don't use it going down hill because if you break the tires loose you can't steer it and have no control. For me 4X4 has been a good thing.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Without 4x4 there are times I would not be able to get in my driveway.I had a 4x2 before and it was scary at times with the trailer on(wet ground).Thats why I got a 4x4.
2011 Montana-3400RL
Towed by[B]'99 F-350 SD PSD DRW Lariat
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
I do not have a dually, but I have been told that a 4x2 dually does not have the traction of a 4x2 SRW, either in snow or on sand. If that is true, my guess is its because of the larger surface area of the rear tires (4 tires vs. 2 tires means twice the surface area on the ground) resulting in half the pressure which possibly results in less bite; i.e., the tread does not push down as far into the snow or sand. To avoid confusion, I am talking "pressure" not "force". The overall weight/force over the rear tires would be the same (except for the added weight of two wheels and tires, which I am assuming is a small percentage of the overall rear axle weight), but the pressure spread across the tire surface would be half due to the doubling of the surface area.
Vulcangw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
I have a 02 Chevy Duramax K3500, dually, CC, LB 4WD(would that actually be 6x6?). Anyway, I get 10 - 10.5 towing a 15.5K Grand Junction 5er, and around 18 empty. I always believed what I was told about dual wheels = less traction, not true for me. My old Dodge Cummins 2x4 3/4T would always spin in my gravel driveway (near a 15% grade), my dually does not spin in the same conditions in 2WD climbing my driveway. I have seen lightly loaded duallys spin in wet grass attempting to get out of a CG though I like the 2WD option with a heavy diesel engine because the additional weight causes the front tires to mire in soft dirt.

Only once have I had to use 4WD while traveling and towing. US2 East of Cutbank, MT was being rebuilt and the bypass was dirt/mud. I could move in 2WD but the spinning dualls were throwing mud all over my 5er. I set 4WD and all spinning stopped, driving was much easier, and the truck rear stopped dancing sideways. That 5 mile stretch of mud satisfied me the money spent on 4WD option was well-spent. I've used 4WD many many times; and that does not include my ranch property.
If you plan to NEVER get off pavement, 4WD may be an option to decline.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
My 2 cents worth:
Any pickup towing or not can loose traction even on wet grass. 4x4 can be good in that situation. Over the years, it's happened to me several times with, and with out, the truck being a dually. My face gets a little red when I have to get pulled off the grass. It's 4x4 all the way for me. Snow can be a PITA with the dually when the streets are narrower because of piled up snow on the sides of streets and makes it a little tight. Then the tire tracks in the snow or ice ruts are just from regular cars and pick-ups. That can throw you around a little too! I have not always lived in TX.
On the tire question: Many duallys owners use snow tires, It just all depends on how much snow and ice you will be driving thru. Now a days most trucks run with radials either all season radials or winter tread radials, or hwy radials( summer tread).
Since I only see snow every once in a while, I use the hwy type.
Bug Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
Excel Owners Club
A major plus for having a 4x4 is I put the transfer case in 4 low when backing up. Each move backwards is so precise and slow.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you need 4WD because of the climates you'll be seeing or the terrain you'll be driving in, by all means get it. However, it's by no means a necessity for towing 5th wheels.

I've been towing 5th wheels with 2WD duallies for 15 years and have never been stuck or been in a situation where I needed to be pulled out, and that includes time we spent living in central Ohio where we saw more than our fair share of snow and ice. Consider that 2WD has a lot of advantages:

Lower initial cost
Less maintenance and repair - if it's not there, it can't break
Higher towing capacity since the truck weighs less
Better fuel economy
Better ride
Better handling
No possibility of "death wobble" (caster wobble with solid front axles)
Lower ride height - easier to level trailer with no bed rail clearance issues

That's why they build trucks as 4x4s and 2x4s - you weigh your requirements and make your selection accordingly.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1989 Ford dually crew cab 4X2

wylie pa
We enjoyed the dually. The ride was way better than our same year 4X4 Ford crew cab. The mileage was acceptable. It did require sand bags in icy conditions. We have some treed land up in the hills. Traveling over logging roads in amongst the trees was hazardous because the fenders stuck out so far. I eventually nailed a tree with a fender causing some $$ damage. The newer duallies seem to have fenders that don't stick out so far. We did have a truck camper on the dually and it was great because the camper was very heavy and didn't tip as much as on the 4X4. We were not able to find a car wash for the dually. I don't believe I'd buy another dually but????. Milt
Joyce, Milt 2000 Safari Trek 2830
Kettle Falls, Wa
popsuscdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
I cannot stand the smell of diesel due to my 45 years of oil burner work in the heating field. I have a gas 8.1 liter. I bought a dually for the stability while towing. I also have four wheel drive with limited slip differential. I have needed it a few times after a heavy night rainfall to tow out of a grass CG space and onto the pavement. Many of the government lands require one to have four wheel drive to enter there. I have needed 4 wheeldrive towing up a steep gravel road hill.

My gasser doesn't get there fast but it gets there.

Ralph & Snickers
2006 3500 Chevy Dually - 8.1 - Allison
2006 30' New Horizon - Solar
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote