Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
With the incentives on the 2019s (at least if you are looking at GM products, if there are any left on the lots) you might not pay much of a premium on a new one over a similarly equipped '17 or '18.
Now ya got me looking at new ones...and I like them. I never should have driven the 2019. Now I'm doing my best to justify one (warranty etc.).

Thanks,
Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #44

Warranty, Never in a flood, you will always know the history of the truck, easier to get the options you want, you get to break it in, you get to put the 1st ding on it, you will have the maintenance records, every year they tweak the truck to keep it current so you will have any new feature...like Android auto apple car play.

Did I say Warranty?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Warranty, Never in a flood, you will always know the history of the truck, easier to get the options you want, you get to break it in, you get to put the 1st ding on it, you will have the maintenance records, every year they tweak the truck to keep it current so you will have any new feature...like Android auto apple car play.

Did I say Warranty?
You're making this hard for me.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #46

I forgot to mention - a new truck was never a Hot Shot truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #47

I think it is good you are at least looking at new, then you can make an informed decision over used. In most segments, the first three years of depreciation makes looking at low-mile used cars a no brainer, but the way these trucks hold their value makes buying new a lot more attractive and economically feasible. Good luck.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #48

I am a DP guy, but own a 3500 Ram Dually. It is used mainly for farm work which requires a 11,000#, 32 ft Dually gooseneck trailer. I test drove a 3500 Ford Dually before choosing the Ram. May brother has worn out two Chevy Duramax, diesels so did not need to test drive one. I was amazed at how far Ram had come since the mid 90s. I also learned a lot about what was offered, like three different HP/torque options, three different auto transmissions, two different manual transmissions. Also, to get the highest hauling, towing capacity, you are limited in what power, transmission, axle gear ratios and wheel base/bed length/cab configurations. I also learned that internet shopping for a truck is a great way to go. After shopping with different dealers, I went with Dave Smiths in Kellog, Idaho that came in nearly $15000 less than any other dealer was willing to accept. They also paid 1/2 the cost of shipping to South Texas. So I say go for the highest towing capacity of not less than 3500 Dually, regardless of brand. In the case of Ram, that is a standard dual cab with an 8ft bed, highest HP/torque motor, which calls for the Aisian auto tranny and a 410 or 450 gear. The Laramie package (mid grade) gives you all the bells and whistles you could ask for. I purchased the 100,000 mile/5year extended warranty package, primarily to cover the massive electronic bells and whistles that are the present day rage. It is scheduled to go in for a potential problem with the instrument panel that has started flickering from bright to dim/accompanied by the interior lights going off and on and going from bright to dim. The truck is 4 years old and has 65xxx miles on it. I hauled a dozer on the flat bed trailer from NC to Co which was at the max legal limits of the truck and license. No issues other than the fuel economy dropped to 8.7MPG for the trip. I do have 370 gears which contributed to the MPG. I am sure that 410 or higher numbered gears would have improved this figure. Do all your home work before buying and don’t trust any thing the sales person offers as the gospel. Make them get on their computer to “build your truck to your specs” and find out what you are really getting.

Trees
bgtrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtrees View Post
After shopping with different dealers, I went with Dave Smiths in Kellog, Idaho that came in nearly $15000 less than any other dealer was willing to accept. They also paid 1/2 the cost of shipping to South Texas.
I have contacted them earlier today but have not heard back. 15K less than anybody else's best deal? If I could get 10K less than the current deal I have going I’d be signing.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #50

They tow like a dream.
ijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #51

Just a couple points for me
A-the 17 ram you drove and said was smooth, it probably had the air ride rear suspension. The 17 3500 i run for work rides like no suspension at all, just something to pay attention to on the option sheet.

B-the 5500 series trucks are literally the same bodies as the 3500 series trucks in c&c form. They also turn tighter due to the wide track front end. I personally feel like out of the rough riding hd trucks being put out today before i bought a newer dually id look at an international 4700 or a single axle class 8. You can get air suspension, air cab, air seat, and air brakes. A peterbilt rides better than a 3/4 ton truck these days.

C-4.10 gears wont effect your economy by a noticeable amount if any at all. The motor wont have to work as hard to pull the trailer. In my experience these diesels use more fuel working hard than spinning a little faster

D-dually is 100% thevway to go when towing heavy. You can run more of an all season tire on a dually and be more stable than a srw running a straight highway tire.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Just a couple points for me
A-the 17 ram you drove and said was smooth, it probably had the air ride rear suspension.
Yes, the 2017 had the air ride as did the 2019 I drove. Isn't it standard on the 2019 dually?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
Yes, the 2017 had the air ride as did the 2019 I drove. Isn't it standard on the 2019 dually?

Thanks,
Rick
Beats me, i only run it because the company i work for pays the note and the fuel in the thing. I just know that the air ride exists and the truck i have doesnt have it and im at a chiropractor after a long drive (i suspect that would be true with an make since theyre all ungodly stiff anymore). Weve started swapping to fords because the dodges are too expensive to keep on the road.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Weve started swapping to fords because the dodges are too expensive to keep on the road.
What kind of problems with the Dodges?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #55
Community Moderator

The air ride is the bags on the rear axle. It helps to level the truck with a load. But our 2017 RAM Big horn does not have this feature. It does not ride bad, it rides nice and smooth, but it does ride better with the Road Warrior on it.
Of course the pin weight is over 4K.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
What kind of problems with the Dodges?

Thanks,
Rick
Alot of the guys on here have had really good luck with them. We run the daylights out of them. All the problems on mine have been covered under warranty. Im in a 17 at 106k, ive had whatever recalls done, 2 power steering pumps under 50k, steering wheel buttons, driver window button, a couple injectors at 68k, something happened with the def where it didnt use any in a long time, then was going to go into limp mode, the dealer reprogrammed it, then another dealer did the same, then it ran through a bunch of def really fast. Idk what that was, the dealer didnt find anything. It tried to derate 350miles into a 700 mile trip on our way from casper wyoming to williston nd and of course no dealers nearby. The next day the other supervisors truck died on the way up. At one point mine was the only one that didnt have a derate going on out of 10 at our shop. Ours are all 17s and 18s, c&j energy had a bunch of 11/12s that were a pain too but the 17s/18s are way better.

We had one that would randomly lock itself, and like the rest of the new diesels, you cannot let them idle alot. We had one rearend that needed replaced early on.