Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #57

I have my tires rotated every 5k , they break them down , rotate. High speed balance set pressure charge 80.00 plus tax. Once a year they check alignment 120.00 . Local family owned business specializes in big trucks, buses, coach, etc.
Never had a blowout on the dually, after the first month or so got used to the size of the truck, back into parking spots and generally park out far away in the lots to avoid the masses...my daily driver and very pleased with the truck. 1st sets of tires got about 70k on them, on 2nd set now....
Palmeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
Yes, the 2017 had the air ride as did the 2019 I drove. Isn't it standard on the 2019 dually?

Thanks,
Rick
Found the answer. It's either a part of the Max Tow package or a $1595.00 option. There's a lot more to the system than I thought. As this will be frequently driven unloaded it's a must have for me. This has ruled out a couple of trucks I've been looking at.

Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #59

Quote:
Found the answer. It's either a part of the Max Tow package or a $1595.00 option. There's a lot more to the system than I thought. As this will be frequently driven unloaded it's a must have for me. This has ruled out a couple of trucks I've been looking at.

Rick
It should be available on anything above a 1/2 ton on any make. The ride on the new trucks is horrendous but i understand you cant carry as much weight as these trucks do without stiff springs. Anyone that says that these trucks are smooth, it is NOT the truck, its the road thats smooth. The suspension on the new trucks is seriously lacking compared to whats available in cars. Cadillacs have had active suspension since like 2000.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #60

Commercial Member

Comparison

I do wonder how many go to the effort of getting a test drive on a 1-Ton Dually from each truck mfg.
While I am not currently towing My Class-C is on a C4500 dually and I find the ride quite good. It's not a Cadilac or a Lincoln Towncar or an MB Maybach but to try and compare a truck capable of easily towing 15,000 trailers with any of that class car is unrealistic.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I do wonder how many go to the effort of getting a test drive on a 1-Ton Dually from each truck mfg.
While I am not currently towing My Class-C is on a C4500 dually and I find the ride quite good. It's not a Cadilac or a Lincoln Towncar or an MB Maybach but to try and compare a truck capable of easily towing 15,000 trailers with any of that class car is unrealistic.
I've driven several of the Ram 3500's duallys with air leveling it's plenty good for me. I live in MI and we aren't known for having the best of roads.

Rick
Old 10-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #62

When unloaded, my 2019 GM DRW is certainly stiffer than my 2016 GM 2500, but it is still a pretty nice unloaded ride all things considered. And it is very quiet in the cabin. And it is the bees knees when towing heavy or loaded.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
When unloaded, my 2019 GM DRW is certainly stiffer than my 2016 GM 2500, but it is still a pretty nice unloaded ride all things considered. And it is very quiet in the cabin. And it is the bees knees when towing heavy or loaded.
While I haven't driven any 2016- duallies that I can remember, I feel GMC/Chevy has the best suspension out of the big 3 in the pre 2016 year range. I think only GM has independant front suspension (torsion bar setup like mine) and it is vastly superior IMO to the others. The rear 2 stage suspension on mine is pretty smooth unladen as long as tire pressure isn't maxed out at 80 psi. Of course it'll never be Rolls-Royce smooth and carry 5k of pin weight but I have seen several reviews where even the RAM air suspension is harsher than GMC's conventional leaf spring setup.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
While I haven't driven any 2016- duallies that I can remember, I feel GMC/Chevy has the best suspension out of the big 3 in the pre 2016 year range. I think only GM has independant front suspension (torsion bar setup like mine) and it is vastly superior IMO to the others. The rear 2 stage suspension on mine is pretty smooth unladen as long as tire pressure isn't maxed out at 80 psi. Of course it'll never be Rolls-Royce smooth and carry 5k of pin weight but I have seen several reviews where even the RAM air suspension is harsher than GMC's conventional leaf spring setup.
I have not been in a 2019 Ram (or the unreleased 2020 Fords obviously) but agree that the GM products have a superior unloaded ride to the other relatively recent Ram and Ford models. I frequently ride on errands and what not with friends and relatives who own the other brands when we are on trips (we have a big group who RV together) and the GM product just seem quieter and smoother to my senses.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:47 AM   #65

The GM front suspension has me thinking of switching from Ford. Especially with the redesigned GM trucks with added cargo capacity. I have a 2017 F-250 that I think rides ok but I want to test drive a 2020 GM 2500/3500 to see the difference.

Up until the 2020 GM trucks GM was out of the running IMHO between Ford and Ram. But now they might be top dog.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #66

Quote:
Hi All,I'm retiring the end of this year which was a surprise to me as i planned on working a couple more years (long story). My wife and I had originally planned on full timing in a DP with a Cruiser Lift on the back for my Harley and tow a Ford Edge. We've been going back and forth (A or 5ver) and are now thinking we won't be going FT and will instead take several 1-3 month trips a year.

The current game plan is to purchase a smaller toy hauler and a 1 ton diesel pickup as we plan on spending a fair amount of time out west (live in MI).

I've been reading a lot on here trying to decide whether or not I should spend the extra $$ on a dually. The toy haulers I've been looking at are in the 13K - 17K GVWR range with pin weight in the 2,400 - 3,000 range. Am I in dually territory? Any other info I can post that would help?

Thanks,Rick

Just my 2c for what it’s worth. We pulled a 39’ 14860gvwr toyhauler for a 3+ years with a 15 Chevy diesel Ltz crew srw.... never ever had an issue with the truck or pin weight. In fact...I added air bags before the TH purchase and wish I hadn’t as it was a waste of $$. The problem will be with the trailer/toy hauler, always is! After many many tire issues/wet bolts we went the super c route and have never looked back. In fact, wish I would have started here. Is a DRW safer, absolutely. But I’m telling you, and take notice to what is broke when you pass all these trailers pulled off the freeway with hazards on. The truck will be fine either way. Good luck.
RaceRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRenegade View Post
Just my 2c for what it’s worth. We pulled a 39’ 14860gvwr toyhauler for a 3+ years with a 15 Chevy diesel Ltz crew srw.... never ever had an issue with the truck or pin weight. In fact...I added air bags before the TH purchase and wish I hadn’t as it was a waste of $$. The problem will be with the trailer/toy hauler, always is! After many many tire issues/wet bolts we went the super c route and have never looked back. In fact, wish I would have started here. Is a DRW safer, absolutely. But I’m telling you, and take notice to what is broke when you pass all these trailers pulled off the freeway with hazards on. The truck will be fine either way. Good luck.
Thanks for you input. I've given all of the options consideration and for the time being the truck/fifth wheel toy hauler is our best option.

I went back and forth on the SRW/DRW thing and have done a good deal of research on various forums. Yes, there are some disadvantages to a dually (parking etc.) but can't say where I've read anyone who tows a large trailer and has made the move from SRW to DRW regretted it.

With that said I'm looking forward to picking up my 2019 Ram dually with the HO/Aisin 4:10 combo on Saturday. Now I start researching trailers, probably won't buy until spring but I'm ready just in case.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #68

Rock and Roll! Congrats on the decision.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #69

I just went through this last week, my 2015 350 KR short bed 3;55 with 11,500 gvw pulled my 40' Spartan toyhauler with a gvw of 18k just fine, didnt relize i was close or even over a little with pin weight/ cargo.I towed to Key west and back, Raystown Lake PA Lancaster several times. It towed great, never had a issue. Friday night I bought a 18 F 350 drw KR with 3:55s. Couldnt wait to hook up this afternoon and pull the camper home from Lancaster, what a difference, I told my wife that I now would feel comfortable with her driving it down 95 heading to FLA while I rested (with one eye open) in the passengers seat lol. Pulled great, I guess with the 17" wheels changed things a little, my 2015 had 20's. At 70mph I was right at 1800 rpms in 6th gear.I wasnt running 70 much, but its nice to know I will be right in the peak torque range. Good luck with your new dually, you wont be sorry. Now my wife is looking at 45' Toyhaulers...lol
Frank Dutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dutton View Post
I just went through this last week, my 2015 350 KR short bed 3;55 with 11,500 gvw pulled my 40' Spartan toyhauler with a gvw of 18k just fine, didnt relize i was close or even over a little with pin weight/ cargo.I towed to Key west and back, Raystown Lake PA Lancaster several times. It towed great, never had a issue. Friday night I bought a 18 F 350 drw KR with 3:55s. Couldnt wait to hook up this afternoon and pull the camper home from Lancaster, what a difference, I told my wife that I now would feel comfortable with her driving it down 95 heading to FLA while I rested (with one eye open) in the passengers seat lol. Pulled great, I guess with the 17" wheels changed things a little, my 2015 had 20's. At 70mph I was right at 1800 rpms in 6th gear.I wasnt running 70 much, but its nice to know I will be right in the peak torque range. Good luck with your new dually, you wont be sorry. Now my wife is looking at 45' Toyhaulers...lol

I will assume you never scaled the combo.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote