Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2019, 08:13 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
I will assume you never scaled the combo.
At 20% of gvwr that combo shouldve been good going down the road or close. The f350 has a 7ish rawr. Empty the truck would be around 3 so, 3k +3600=6600<7000
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #72

Raystown Lake in Pa is a great place to spend a week in the hot summer as that water is always refreshing...(chilly). And that area is kind of mountainous. No way would I want to tow overweight in that area. It is hard enough just driving solo.

For people that do not know, the roads are uphill, downhill and very curvy. Lots of people towing boats using up their share of the road too.

Frank - what area of the lake for you like?

I like single digit mile markers and the over looks.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #73

Camping with grandchildren on Raystown lake this summer.
Lovely surroundings
Lovely water.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0000001(5).jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	265842
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #74

Great picture[emoji106]. You guys do anything jumping from the cliffs? The kids look about the right age to spend a few hours there jumping off the cliffs. I camped in a tent 35 years ago at Nancy's (boat in only) Camp. And then stayed on my little runabout boat with full canvas several times. That is where I got my towing experience, towing a boat thru those mountains.

I did notice some of the kids had long sleeve sweatshirts on. So it is a very comfortable place to be in the summer. Not using much A/C after the sun goes down.

A pic from one of the overlooks.Click image for larger version

Name:	-1312349904687374480.0.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	265843
Old 11-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Great picture[emoji106]. You guys do anything jumping from the cliffs? The kids look about the right age to spend a few hours there jumping off the cliffs. I camped in a tent 35 years ago at Nancy's (boat in only) Camp. And then stayed on my little runabout boat with full canvas several times. That is where I got my towing experience, towing a boat thru those mountains.

I did notice some of the kids had long sleeve sweatshirts on. So it is a very comfortable place to be in the summer. Not using much A/C after the sun goes down.

A pic from one of the overlooks.Attachment 265843
My cousins go up to raystown and are always asking why we dont go. Those areas look really nice. One thing for me, i dont swim in water that i cant see what im stepping in.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #76

That is a great area to hike if your not into water. I do both, I like to hike but love the water. You can drive to two very scenic overlooks. It is a pretty nice place to camp. The camp sites a Seven Points are built on the hill side but have level spots to camp then a few steps down to a picnic table so you have a two tier camp site. Typical Pa.

The Seven Points area also has a nice swim area that you can wade into your knees or waist to stay cool. That area is a bit warmer than Pittsburgh and is hot during the day but cool at night.

From Hawns Overlook you can walk down to a very nice cove. The walk down is along the mountain ridge. The walk back up is more difficult. I think 450' of elevation difference. The mountain is most scenic from the water at mile marker 2.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #77

Nope, never scaled, figured I had more than enough truck, last time I will ever do that!
Frank Dutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #78

We liked it all, for two years about 25 of us rented 3 house boats and had about 15 skis, we were up by the damn, then all the young women decided to be pregnant..lol and didn't want to go, so we took the smaller toyhauler 1 ski and the Harley to Raystown lake resort at the other end, it was awesome!
Frank Dutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dutton View Post
We liked it all, for two years about 25 of us rented 3 house boats and had about 15 skis, we were up by the damn, then all the young women decided to be pregnant..lol and didn't want to go, so we took the smaller toyhauler 1 ski and the Harley to Raystown lake resort at the other end, it was awesome!
There was a vengeance touring toy hauler up near there that we wanted to look at but never made it. It was in james creek at a dealer. We had a trip planned and were going to stay at the resort but work interfered. Its still for sale but works super slow.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:13 AM   #80

Jshopes81 - there were about 12 - 18 used trailers and 5th wheels on the corner of RT26 and the road that takes you to the James Creek boat ramp. It is right across RT26 from a boat dealer.

Anyway, that is kinda far from the overlooks (40 miles) but Trough Creek State Park is closer and worth a visit. There is a Swinging Bridge, the Balanced Rock, the Ice Mine. There is also a nice short hike up to the Balanced Rock. The Balanced Rock looks like it will fall any minute as it sits 150' above Trough Creek.

You can YouTube Trough Creek and the Overlooks. Maybe use Google Earth to see this area also.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #81

Quote:

A pic from one of the overlooks.Attachment 265843
Ohhh yes
They all jump from the cliifts

With life jacket's on for certain.

The cliffs at lake Cumberland are much higher and they take advantage of them.

So they are the cliff divers, flippers.
I dove the cliffs in the 60s, no life jackets then, stupid.
Northern Indiana France stone quarries
Logansport area. And Marblehead Ohio.
Our kids did at Lake Cumberland in the 80s, 90s
Now the grand kids.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:35 PM   #82

I like Lake Cumberland a lot more than Raystown Lake. It is about 9 times larger with warmer water. I never jumped off any cliffs at lake Cumberland but did see kids jumping off 76 Falls. It was fun taking the boat behind those falls.

Those were the days[emoji106]
Old 11-06-2019, 11:06 PM   #83

Quote:
I like Lake Cumberland a lot more than Raystown Lake. It is about 9 times larger with warmer water. I never jumped off any cliffs at lake Cumberland but did see kids jumping off 76 Falls. It was fun taking the boat behind those falls.

Those were the days[emoji106]
Some of the best cliffs are down river from Lees Ford marina.
At the opening.

Then up South Fork also.

Harmon Creek is the big party destination now since your days tuffr2

The water patrol and low water for dam repair did 76 falls in about 10 years ago.

Even at low pool this winter there is 130feet of water under our boat sitting in the marina.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #84

Well seeing how Rileiy1 found his dually, this has now became a discussion on great camping places.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote