Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Dually Daily Driver??

I think one of the biggest issues why some wonít opt for a dually is that it is not considered a good daily driver. I want to know if this is true or not. Not to be sexist, but I see a lot of duallys being driven by women around my city, (which is in the San Bernardino area like itís no big deal). In fact, there is one that I see parked at the bank where I pass by when taking my walks, an F350. She backs it in, parks by the curb and takes up about a space and one half because of the wide rear. Generally with my current car I never park close in parking lots because I donít like people dinging my paint. So parking far away is not big deal for me at the store, movies, school where I work etc. if a parking garage, I would probably park on the top because squeezing in-between two cars, would not work. So what I am asking from the dually crowd is: Do you use yours as a daily driver? Do you find it a pain when it comes to parking? Is fuel mileage an issue? I would like to hear thoughts on this because the usual conversations about DRW VS SRW deal with towing but not day to day use. I would find it rather wasteful to pay 60K for a truck to have it sit in oneís driveway because it canít be driven due to itís configuration.

datedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I am on my 2nd dually, 1st one was extended cab, theis one a crew cab. You can get in some tight places, but the biggest issue is the added width, some drive throughs just aren't wide enough. Other than that and that you don't mind parking way out, you gfet used to the extra width quickly, and it isn't an issue.

03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
The dually is great soyou have too much truck for the rv. I however messed up and got srw. If i want my dream rv i need to trade truck and take another hit.
2009 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins Mega Cab
1999 R29RL King of the road.
3 kids and a beautiful wife.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
I drive mine to work and shopping. I usually park in the back because its easier but you can fit in the standard width spots. Mine is a crewcab so length is more of an issue than width.
If i had to park it in a parking garage, it might be a bit challenging. I dont take it thru drive thrus at fast food restaurants and i park instead of using a driveup atm.

Outside of atm's, drive thru's, and parking garages, i dont have any issues.
fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
I am currently driving my 6th dually, and have grown very used to them. The training wheels do take a bit of adjustment, but if you are aware of your suroundings at all, you will be fine.

Sometimes I do find parking lots a bit cramped, and sometimes I will park sideways and take 2 spots. This is usually so the thing isn't hanging out in a travel lane too much. As Jim said, with the current F-450, length is more of an issue than width. With the extended cab duallies I could park pretty much anywhere a regular truck could park.
'12 F-450 Lariat
05 KZ 45' Escalade Toy Hauler
00 Harley Road King, 94 Dyna Wide Glide, 83 FXR
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
I am on my second Dually. I drive my dually to work, then get into the dually aerial lift, and work around town all day. The added width is the biggest challenge, and drive thru windows are usually a No-No due to width. I cannot justify the additional expense of another vehicle and insurance while my dually just sits there.q
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab MAXTOW DRW, 2015 Forest River Dynamax Trilogy 38RL
Kevinc2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Freightliner Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	various pictures 208.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	30467

This is what me and wife drive well her mostly the jeep but yes every day i drive it. But i do have horses and flatbeds to pull.But its our baby F450 Turbo diesel powerstroke yes it gets 9.9 mpg but we need it and dont mind it, if we did we wouldnt have horses and trailers to pull,and thats my life style so. But can see where people would not like it because of size and mpg and access to parking.
Tom & Christi Rae Sutler
Freightliner club member
Goodsam club member
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Dually daily driver

I do not use mine as a daily driver as I am usually alone going back and forth to work and to me I prefer something a little smaller that gets better fuel mileage. That being said when I am out with the family on weekends we will take the dually which for me is a crew cab 3500 and as others have said once you get used to the length and width it is really no big deal to drive.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Thor Owners Club
I have a F350 Dually with 7.3L Diesel 4 x 4 , It can be a pain parking if your trying to get close but I don't consider it an issue for me. I don't use mine as a daily driver I bought is as a tow vehicle however without the trailer I get about 17mpg city/hwy , with the trailer I get 12mpg. I would use it as a daily driver if my wife would let me. LOL, I just love my bigass truck.
Retreever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My SRW extended cab used to be my daily ride when I was still working. Had to park in a multi-story parking garage. I think a dually would have been a problem in that situation. Got stuck in one particularly tight parking garage with our dually crew cab one time. Luckily, someone with a passcard let me out the only truck accessible exit. ATM bank lanes are inaccessible in most cases. Other than that, a dually has not been a problem for us.

Each person has to consider his/her personal circumstances and where they have to drive every day.
Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
I bought my very 1st dually. Had a cool F-150 before I decided to buy a 5er. I really did not want a dually since they are kinda ugly. But now have 6k miles on it. 3k towing. I do like the way it tows. I bought a F-450 which does turn sharp, has great brakes, and powerful drivetrain. It is actually fun to drive. When I pick up groceries I park away from other cars. Same for fast food joins. No drive thrus. I would say the newer trucks drive much lighter then they are. My 9,000 lb truck drives nice, corners flat on highway ramps and is zippy.

Downside is MPG, parking, washing/waxing. (The hood is higher than the roof of a car) friends needing stuff moved, tire rotation.

Upside is getting into it, carries alot of mulch, brakes, zippy engine, safty, makes the Hummer look small.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Thanks for the replies, I know car washes are out of the question because of the tracks, but can you get one in the do it yourself kind where you pull up on a sensor and the carriage goes back and forth?

Once again just asking for experiences...
datedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
The CrewCab 8 ft bed is too long for the touch less car washes. The quad cab long bed that I traded in would hook the spray bar if I forgot to pull out my hitch from the rear. I usually keep a receiver inserted to keep someone from rear ending me and then running off. There has Been a rash of that in our area, but a car does not get far after it swallows a hitch through the radiator and possibly the engine block as well.
Side note, even with lower fuel mileage, my wife and I drive the Dually when we go out of town to visit my family. A 4 ton truck provides much more protection from a drunk driver than one of these per fab coffins that are sold as economy cars! It is a shame that we have to think in those terms, but coming back late at night has its dangers!
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab MAXTOW DRW, 2015 Forest River Dynamax Trilogy 38RL
Kevinc2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
We couldn't even consider a regular full-size pick-up as a daily driver. DW is not very tall (< 5') and there are a lot of cars she can't drive, usually because the distance between the pedal cluster and the steering wheel is too great. She couldn't drive our '90 Mercury Sable for that reason, and we've never found a pick-up she'd be comforatble with (not even my Mazda B-2200).

We only run one car, in addition to the RV, and we were both happily surprised when we tried out the Kia Sedona (our last purchase). Even though there's no telescopic adjust on the steering column, the pedal to steering wheel distance is fine. Maybe Korean women are altitude challenged, too!

If we were going to keep an RV for many more years, I think I'd go looking for one on a Gillig chassis. Having driven Gillig transit coaches, I just love their steering column adjustability and the range of fore/aft and vertical seat adjustment. The ones I drove had Recaro seats with an air-spring base.

Since I'm over 70, and we're neither of us as agile as we once were, maybe another three seasons will be about the end. Of course we have neighbors who didn't get their first RV (a 42' DP) until they'd both turned 80! Who really knows.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote