Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2004, 05:40 AM   #1

Dang it! We did it..... dropped the trailer! Can you see the steam coming out of my ears?! H (I've dropped the 'd' for now) did it. We were camping this weekend and in the process of moving to another site, his brain cut off and he unhooked prematurely. Forgot he released the hitch lever and then pulled up before I got the jacks down.

I have to say, tho, it wasn't as bad as I dreaded and now the nightmare has been faced head-on, unfortunately. We have a fairly messed up tailgate and two dings on the siderails. The sound of it dropping was horrific! I feel a bit sorry for dh. That truck is his baby and he hasn't been able to drive due to back problems. He's still recovering and was very tired. Guess I was just asking too much of him this weekend!

The trailer is fine. I really appreciate the steel beams going across the front! Does auto insurance cover something like this, you think?

'00 F250 PS Diesel
Kaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2004, 05:40 AM   #2

Dang it! We did it..... dropped the trailer! Can you see the steam coming out of my ears?! H (I've dropped the 'd' for now) did it. We were camping this weekend and in the process of moving to another site, his brain cut off and he unhooked prematurely. Forgot he released the hitch lever and then pulled up before I got the jacks down.

I have to say, tho, it wasn't as bad as I dreaded and now the nightmare has been faced head-on, unfortunately. We have a fairly messed up tailgate and two dings on the siderails. The sound of it dropping was horrific! I feel a bit sorry for dh. That truck is his baby and he hasn't been able to drive due to back problems. He's still recovering and was very tired. Guess I was just asking too much of him this weekend!

The trailer is fine. I really appreciate the steel beams going across the front! Does auto insurance cover something like this, you think?

'00 F250 PS Diesel
Kaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:24 AM   #3

comprehensive should take care of it.... Welocme to the ...DOOO.... oh crap... club. Been there... my legs were nearly down when I did it so it diod not hurt the bed.... did munch the gear set in the legs though... Just so ya know your not alone ....

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:42 AM   #4

Sorry to read about that mishap Kaybee!

Things do happen and sometimes we just have to roll with the punches, so to speak.

I have towed the trailer forwards off the pad (should have backed off a few feet because of the leveling boards, but was lazy and drove forward) and had the leveling board under the trailer tires come up and slap the grey tank pipe and break it! Fix was only a few dollars with a rubber connector.

Was at a campground this summer that was very wet and the campground owner used a big John Deere 4X4 tractor to get the trailer back to the road. The tractor could not back the trailer up, so the he put it in low 1 and with all 4 tractor wheels searching for traction inched / oozed / pulled it forward to the road. As it pulled forward, the leveling board popped up shattering the grey pipe AGAIN! Fix this time was about $75.00 - grumble, grumble!!

Just one of those things!

Insurance should mend the truck's bed rails properly but I would also suggest a trip to your rv dealer just to make sure nothing structural was damaged in the 5'ers nose or the front bedroom floor support rails of the trailer.

Hopefully, your next few trips will be drama free making this mishap, just an old memory to share at a campfire in the future!

Safe travels,
Mike.
6MISFITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:04 PM   #5

Kaybee
Sorry to hear about the mishap.

I am just curious was the hitch a Reese by any chance? The reason i ask is every 5er i have seen dropped has had one common factor a Reese type jaw hitch,just curious.
coach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:12 PM   #6

Doesn't matter what kind of hitch it is if you pull the release and drive away before the landing gear is down.

Too bad about your misshap Kaybee, just one of those things that sometiomes happen when you are too tired and just want to get it done. I once tried to drive a VW Westfalia into the garage with the pop top up. Same feeling.
Wilber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:27 PM   #7

Oops i missed the part of not having the landing legs down!
coach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:00 AM   #8

On a side note, does anyone have any experience with those "pin catcher" things you see at RV shows?

Apparently it bolts onto the hitch cradle, and is supposed to catch the king pin in the event of a hitch failure or unlatched hitch, and prevent the nose of the trailer from hitting the bed...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #9

The minute you attach anything to your vehical it will be covered by the vehicals liability coverage. I don't know about the damage if any to the trailer. If not the trucks insurence try your home owners if you have any. I added insurence to the trailer when I bought it, very inexpencive. Call your broker and let him figure it out. Good luck. We have all been there. So don't be so hard on your self.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:40 PM   #10

Kaybee, I have a v-gate for sale!
It will fit your Ford!
Chet