Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #1

Duramax Diesel Questions

We have a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado with a 6.6 liter Diesel engine. I have 3 questions:

1) Is it okay to leave the engine running with the air conditioner on for an extended period of time, say 30-45 minutes? We want to leave dogs in the truck while we go shopping.

2) Should I shut off the A/C when climbing in the mountains... say a 6% grade for 5 miles?

3) Is it okay, or recommended, or neither, to put an additive in the engine to clean injectors, e.g Seafoam?

I have tried to contact Duramax and got no response. I get different answers from different Chevy dealers. Would like to see what other folks think.

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #2

1) Is it okay to leave the engine running with the air conditioner on for an extended period of time, say 30-45 minutes? We want to leave dogs in the truck while we go shopping. You could leave the dogs in the truck, but you've got a safety issue. What if one of your dogs decides to drive off? I'd just leave the windows down, but my rottweiler's too big to get out a cracked window.

2) Should I shut off the A/C when climbing in the mountains... say a 6% grade for 5 miles? I'd just keep the a/c on. Do you have a pyrometer and tranny temperature gauges? Long grades can really heat up your engine and tranny.

3) Is it okay, or recommended, or neither, to put an additive in the engine to clean injectors, e.g Seafoam? The preferred additive would be a product like Kleen. My diesel starts so much better running it. Seafoam is just diesel oil, naptha and alcohol, but I'd rather save it for gas engines.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #3

Some local/state governments have ordinances against leaving animals, and small kids in an otherwise unoccupied vehicle. (whether the windows are up or down or if the A/C is on) As far as leaving the duramax idleing with the A/C on;no problem.

I've climbed long grades 6%+ with A/C on and no heating problem. (LBZ tuned to 60+hp and 4 inch exhaust) Keep it a little north of 1,800 rpm by restricting it to 5th or even 4th gear.

Additives are like the Confederate flag. Half the folks say they're ok; half the folks don't.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:11 AM   #4

1. No
2. No
3. No
Old 06-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator67 View Post
We have a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado with a 6.6 liter Diesel engine. I have 3 questions:

1) Is it okay to leave the engine running with the air conditioner on for an extended period of time, say 30-45 minutes? We want to leave dogs in the truck while we go shopping.

2) Should I shut off the A/C when climbing in the mountains... say a 6% grade for 5 miles?

3) Is it okay, or recommended, or neither, to put an additive in the engine to clean injectors, e.g Seafoam?

I have tried to contact Duramax and got no response. I get different answers from different Chevy dealers. Would like to see what other folks think.
1. Turn on exhaust brake and high idle if U have it.

2. NO

3. Won't hurt anything and probably a waste of money.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
1. No
2. No
3. No
This x2
Old 06-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #7

1. Not a good idea for several reasons ....IMO the biggest is over time the engine cylinders get a " wash down" from unburned fuel while idling which over time can and has scored the cylinder walls/piston rings causing severe engine damage. Leaving a vehicle with the engine running unattended in some places can get you a ticket

2. No . The Dmax won't even know the AC is on.

3. Yes.
Won't hurt a thing if you decide to do so. My '03 HO HPCR Cummins runs quieter with a bottle of Seafoam or Power Service or Howes/etc in the tank.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
GM does not want any additive with alcohol in fuel system, adding additives is probably a waste of money but a personnel choice, I use to add them and found no added benefit, if you use premium synthetic oils in engine and transmission you do not have to turn off A/C when climbing hills. GM 2014 should be using only synthetics from factory. Diesels do not like long idling periods, if you live in California
there is a 5 minute idle rule.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:13 AM   #9

#1 is fine to idle "IF" you place a load on the engine. EB and or high idle.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #10

My EB does not engage in warm weather idle or if the truck is already up to temp. If I were to go outside right now (70F) and "cold start" my truck, I can hit the button, but the EB won't turn on. Works fine like that if it's below 40F.
Not sure if the GM is different.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
My EB does not engage in warm weather idle or if the truck is already up to temp. If I were to go outside right now (70F) and "cold start" my truck, I can hit the button, but the EB won't turn on. Works fine like that if it's below 40F.
Not sure if the GM is different.
If it really is not coming on you have something wrong.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #12

It does work. It just seems to know when it is needed. Mine will also go to fast idle by itself if the engine temp gets low (cold weather, in park for more than a couple minutes).
Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #13

The only benefit of an EB at idle is to hasten the warmup of a cold engine.

If there is a need to idle a warm engine, then the idle up feature should be engaged. Letting an engine run for extended periods at a dead idle isn't good.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #14

You also need to be mindful of your emissions equipment... The DPF's especially hate idling and you don't want to have to replace that damn thing, nevermind the raw fuel washing down the cylinders.

chertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel