Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horskrzy
I have the 2012 F-150 Platinum Super Crew w/6 1/2' box, EcoBoost engine, 3.73 LS axle, HD Payload pkg (towing mirrors, brake controller, hd hitch, etc) rated for 11,200. My 2012 298RE Outback fully loaded would be 9000 lbs (I have yet to get it "fully loaded" but the wife is working on it. LOL!). So far I am quite happy with how it feels and my only concern is that I tend to forget it's back there and creep a wee bit too much over the speed limit (Whoa Big Red!)

Awesome truck and I have no regrets!
What kind of mpg are you seeing?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #16

I have the F 150 Ecoboost with a 3.55 rear end that can tow 9800 lbs. My White Hawk 31 DSLB loaded weighs 7500 lbs. Towing I avg 11 mpg and solo I avg 22 mpg at 55 mph with cruise on. Just returned from a 7 week 7300 mile trip touring the New England states and happy with the performance of the truck. Wished it had more than a 26 gallon tank. But my bladder fills up before the truck tank gets low when towing.

James

Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymen
I have the F 150 Ecoboost with a 3.55 rear end that can tow 9800 lbs. My White Hawk 31 DSLB loaded weighs 7500 lbs. Towing I avg 11 mpg and solo I avg 22 mpg at 55 mph with cruise on. Just returned from a 7 week 7300 mile trip touring the New England states and happy with the performance of the truck. Wished it had more than a 26 gallon tank. But my bladder fills up before the truck tank gets low when towing.

James
Sounds good, maybe looking at trading the Explorer for a truck again.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Sounds good, maybe looking at trading the Explorer for a truck again.
First get educated about the towing capacity of various combos of cab, engine, drivetrain, rear axle ratio, and payload pkgs. F-150 tow ratings vary from a low of 5,500 to a high of 11,300, and those are all overstated by about 1,000 pounds. So a realistic estimate of the max weight of a tag trailer you can tow without exceeding any of the Ford weight limits is about 4,500 to 10,000 pounds, depending on the options you choose. And when you get up to a trailer weight of about 8,000 pounds or so, then ignore the tow rating completely because the GVWR of the truck will be your limiter.

The HD payload pkg increases the GVWR of the F-150 to 8,200 pounds. Advantage is it adds 500 to 1000 pounds additional payload capacity you'll need for hitch weight for any TT that grosses over about 8,000 pounds. Disadvantage is it has 7-lug 17" wheels, so if you want different than stock-size tires, those 7-lug hubs will be a roadblock. It's very expensive to order one-off custom wheels from someone like Stockton Wheel. Another disadvantage is it's available only with the old-style 3.73 limited slip rear end. If you want an e-Locker rear axle, then you can't also have the HD payload pkg.

The max tow pkg adds 500 pounds of payload capacity for hitch weight for the trucks without the HD payload pkg. And it adds the telescoping tow mirrors along with the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC). The ITBC is optional without the max tow pkg, but the tow mirrors are available only as part of the max tow pkg. The only disadvantage to the max tow pkg is it requires 3.73 axle ratio, either electronic locking or limited slip. If you wanted the longer legs of the 3.15, 3.31, or 3.55 axle ratio for better unloaded gas mileage, then you cannot have them with the max tow pkg.

The best towing machine will have both the HD payload pkg for hitch weight, max tow pkg for trailer weight, and Eco-Boost engine for power and torque. Wrap that up in a SuperCrew body to have a useful back seat, then add other options as you come to them. On the Ford website when in the build&price section, on the first or second screen where you choose your rear axle, choose 3.73 limited slip. If you have chosen the Eco-Boost engine, the system will automagically add the HD Payload Pkg and the Max tow pkg. If you choose the 3.73 e-locker, then the system will automagically add the max tow pkg, but the HD payload pkg will not be mentioned. If you choose any ratio other than 3.73, you will not be offered the option to add either the max tow pkg or HD payload pkg.

When I built my truck on paper, I didn't want the 3.73 ratio. I wanted longer legs for better unloaded MPG. So I ordered the EcoBoost engine in a Lariat SuperCrew with 3.15 axle ratio. Wonderful truck, with a tow rating of 8,400 pounds, but my GVWR is only 7,100 pounds. So at 7,200 pounds GVW, I'm slightly overloaded over the GVWR with my TT that weighs only 5,000 pounds.

And I didn't get the tow mirrors because I didn't get the max tow pkg. But I had to have the tow mirrors to safely tow a TT, so I bought the least expensive version from the Ford accessories catalog. My Lariat Plus power fold with memory mirrors are in the barn while I run around with the trailer tow mirrors from an XLT. They are heated and have the turn signals and puddle light, but not the power fold or memory. The tow mirrors with memory are available, but they cost twice as much as mine.

And all my assumptions about rear axle ratio and unloaded MPG didn't work out with the EcoBoost engine. If I poke along at 55 MPH I can get 20 MPG, but driving my normal style, usually 74 to 79 MPH, I average about 15 MPG. I suspect the 3.73 axle would do that good, then I'd have more payload capacity and wouldn't exceed the truck's GVWR with my 5,000-pound TT.

If I were ordering today with what I now know, I'd order the 3.73 LS axle and have both the HD payload pkg and the max tow pkg. And for 2013 model year, on the fancier trim models the tow mirrors that are part of the max tow pkg have both memory and power fold, along with power telescope.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren

First get educated about the towing capacity of various combos of cab, engine, drivetrain, rear axle ratio, and payload pkgs. F-150 tow ratings vary from a low of 5,500 to a high of 11,300, and those are all overstated by about 1,000 pounds. So a realistic estimate of the max weight of a tag trailer you can tow without exceeding any of the Ford weight limits is about 4,500 to 10,000 pounds, depending on the options you choose. And when you get up to a trailer weight of about 8,000 pounds or so, then ignore the tow rating completely because the GVWR of the truck will be your limiter.

The HD payload pkg increases the GVWR of the F-150 to 8,200 pounds. Advantage is it adds 500 to 1000 pounds additional payload capacity you'll need for hitch weight for any TT that grosses over about 8,000 pounds. Disadvantage is it has 7-lug 17" wheels, so if you want different than stock-size tires, those 7-lug hubs will be a roadblock. It's very expensive to order one-off custom wheels from someone like Stockton Wheel. Another disadvantage is it's available only with the old-style 3.73 limited slip rear end. If you want an e-Locker rear axle, then you can't also have the HD payload pkg.

The max tow pkg adds 500 pounds of payload capacity for hitch weight for the trucks without the HD payload pkg. And it adds the telescoping tow mirrors along with the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC). The ITBC is optional without the max tow pkg, but the tow mirrors are available only as part of the max tow pkg. The only disadvantage to the max tow pkg is it requires 3.73 axle ratio, either electronic locking or limited slip. If you wanted the longer legs of the 3.15, 3.31, or 3.55 axle ratio for better unloaded gas mileage, then you cannot have them with the max tow pkg.

The best towing machine will have both the HD payload pkg for hitch weight, max tow pkg for trailer weight, and Eco-Boost engine for power and torque. Wrap that up in a SuperCrew body to have a useful back seat, then add other options as you come to them. On the Ford website when in the build&price section, on the first or second screen where you choose your rear axle, choose 3.73 limited slip. If you have chosen the Eco-Boost engine, the system will automagically add the HD Payload Pkg and the Max tow pkg. If you choose the 3.73 e-locker, then the system will automagically add the max tow pkg, but the HD payload pkg will not be mentioned. If you choose any ratio other than 3.73, you will not be offered the option to add either the max tow pkg or HD payload pkg.

When I built my truck on paper, I didn't want the 3.73 ratio. I wanted longer legs for better unloaded MPG. So I ordered the EcoBoost engine in a Lariat SuperCrew with 3.15 axle ratio. Wonderful truck, with a tow rating of 8,400 pounds, but my GVWR is only 7,100 pounds. So at 7,200 pounds GVW, I'm slightly overloaded over the GVWR with my TT that weighs only 5,000 pounds.

And I didn't get the tow mirrors because I didn't get the max tow pkg. But I had to have the tow mirrors to safely tow a TT, so I bought the least expensive version from the Ford accessories catalog. My Lariat Plus power fold with memory mirrors are in the barn while I run around with the trailer tow mirrors from an XLT. They are heated and have the turn signals and puddle light, but not the power fold or memory. The tow mirrors with memory are available, but they cost twice as much as mine.

And all my assumptions about rear axle ratio and unloaded MPG didn't work out with the EcoBoost engine. If I poke along at 55 MPH I can get 20 MPG, but driving my normal style, usually 74 to 79 MPH, I average about 15 MPG. I suspect the 3.73 axle would do that good, then I'd have more payload capacity and wouldn't exceed the truck's GVWR with my 5,000-pound TT.

If I were ordering today with what I now know, I'd order the 3.73 LS axle and have both the HD payload pkg and the max tow pkg. And for 2013 model year, on the fancier trim models the tow mirrors that are part of the max tow pkg have both memory and power fold, along with power telescope.
When not towing most of my driving is on roads that are 55 mph and 70 mph on interstate using 87 octane gas. When towing on interstate I drive 65 mph and let all traffic move on. I also use 89 octane gas when when towing. Now that I am retired I can handle poking along. LOL
Old 07-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #20

Ecoboost

Picked up my ecoboost on 4/15/2012. I now have 3980 mile on it, half of them towing a 6200 pound tt. Mine is super cab with the max tow package. This truck tows our trailer with no problems. I can set the cruise at 65 mph and the truck will pull it up any grade with little effort. On level ground it will tow in 6th gear, drop to 5th pulling moderate grades and drop to 4th on very steep grades, and never drop below 65. I average about 10 mph while towing and 17 the rest of the time. So far Ii am very satisfied with it.
The owners manual mentions improved performance while burning premium fuel. I filled up with 91 octane and towed about 200 miles last weekend. There was a noticable improvement in performance although I dont think it was worth the price.
Buy an ecoboost....you wont be sorry.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #21

Thanks everyone for the support!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #22

Quote:
What kind of mpg are you seeing?
9-10 mpg and it depends (almost) entirely on me staying closer to the posted speed limit.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #23

So here's a question, with the new Fords being almost all electronic, could the shift points or ratios be changed using the Ford Oasis computer? The Explorer only has 5 HP less than my 1998 F150, I know there is a difference in the mechanical between the two, your opinions?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So here's a question, with the new Fords being almost all electronic, could the shift points or ratios be changed using the Ford Oasis computer?
Probably not with OASIS, but with the right electronic equipment you could change the "calabration" (tune) in the computer program in the powertrain control module (PCM). When Ford develops a new calibration for your PCM, the deaLer's tech uses OASIS to install that calibration in your PCM, but not to develop the calibration. Aftermarket tuners such as Edge and Bully Dog and Banks develop and sell aftermarket "tunes" all the time. But you will void your warranty in a heartbeat if you mess with the computer program in the PCM, or install an aftermarket tune such as a Bully Dog tune.

So shift points, yes, those can be tweaked electronically. That's part of the "calibration" in the PCM. Or with the Select Shift transmission, the driver can control shifts with the "M" setting and paddle shifters in most 2011-up F-150 trim lines, including my 2012 Lariat.

But the axle ratio is controlled by the ring gear and pinion in the differential. Those are hard parts that can be changed for a different ratio, but electronic tuning will have no effect on the axle ratio. If you have the 3.31 gear ratio and want the 3.73 ratio for more GCWR, then simply have a differential expert replace your 3.31 ring gear and pinion for one with a 3.73 ratio. For a 4x4, you must change out both front and rear ring gears and pinions.