Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #1

Ecoboost engine by Ford

We have decided on purchasing a new truck before making the leap to getting a travel trailer due to the towing capacity listed for our current F150. while thinking we were going to need at least a F250, we are now considering buying a F150 with the new ecoboost engine. Our trailer plans are for nothing larger than 21-22' with one slide and have found most with GVWR under 8000lbs. Does anyone have experience towing with an ecoboost engine?
Kdjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #2

Sorry, I forgot to say the truck we are looking at has the heavy duty towing package, 17" wheels with 7 lugs, 4x4, and a GCWV of 17000 lbs. the maximum tow capacity is said to be 11000 something.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdjay View Post
Sorry, I forgot to say the truck we are looking at has the heavy duty towing package, 17" wheels with 7 lugs, 4x4, and a GCWV of 17000 lbs. the maximum tow capacity is said to be 11000 something.
Yep, F-150 with EcoBoost engine, 3.73 LS axle, HD Payload pkg to handle the hitch weight, and HD towing pkg to give you the towing mirrors, brake controller and other additives to make it ready for towing out of the box, you'll probably be really happy with that truck.

Ignore the 11,000 pounds tow rating. That's a wet dream. But you can count on adequate performance with a TT that grosses less than 10,000 pounds. With an 8,000 pound TT, you'll be in towing heaven.

I wanted longer legs for better unloaded MPG, so I didn't order the HD payload or max towing pkgs. Mine has a tow rating of 8,200 pounds, but my TT grosses only 5,000 pounds so it's plenty for my needs. I have about 9,000 miles on it now, about half those miles while towing the 5,000-pound TT. I'm a happy camper, but I expected a little better MPG. I'm averaging about 9 MPG towing and 15 not towing.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #4

We have a similar truck...max tow pkg 4X4 supercab. We have towed across the continent from Charleston SC area to S California and up to Phoenix as well as to 80 miles north of Detroit. Trailer has a gross of 6900 lbs and we were close to that plus the "junk" we carry in the bed that is probably another 600 + lbs. We have over 20,000 miles on it with more than 1/2 of that towing and have done some very long climbs as well so I feel that I know the towing results pretty well. We had , until last summer, a 9900 lb 5th wheel and a trouble free 2004 F350 diesel . I find this ecoboost pulls better than the old diesel inasmuch as it seems to have more useable torque and doesn't need to rev as high. The towing is almost effortless. The big difference I feel is in the handling as the 2004 had a much longer wheelbase (CC long bed 4X4) and weighed about 2500 lbs more so had a more "stable" feel. As well it is unfair to compare 5th wheel towin to tagalong...they both have advantages and disadvantages like everything else. The biggest difference I find is that when towing I averaged 10.5 mpg with the gasser on the latest 6000 mile trip and generally 14 with the diesel however unloaded the ecoboost is giving me a bit better mileage than the diesel and lately the gas has been cheaper than diesel in Mi.
I do try to have a light foot and that is a challenge with the eco as it likes to run....!
One thing I have to say if you are ordering the truck...specify tow mirrors as the max tow pkg up here in Canada did NOT come with them...my bad for assuming something!!
Groveite
Old 07-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #5

Should add after reading Smokey's response that mine has settled down to 17.5 mpg over the last 1000 miles with 75/25 hwy/cty again depending on my right foot and cruise however our speed limits are artificially low (max 62 mph) and we marvel at the height of ant hills so no climbs at all.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As Smokey noted, the truck engineers have disillusion on grandeur. To start shopping use 80% of the "tow ratings" for a loaded and wet trailer weight. This will allow some room to load the truck with family, pets, cargo, hitch and other add-ons.

Do not expect any appreciably better fuel mileage when towing. In order to move a certain weight, and pull it against the wind, it takes a certain amount of power. To generate this power, the engine will use a certain amount of fuel. Some engines are slower speed, naturally asperated, big displacement and others are high speed, turbo charged smaller displacement. Due to engine tuning, there will be small differences if efficiency (in the order of a few percent) which will make a small difference in fuel economy over a certain power/speed range.

The ecoboost certainly seems to be a great technology, but It will be intersting to see how the engines hold up to longer tern use in RV towing. Ford seems to have done the homework on this engine and hopefully learned a lesson on the 6.0L PSD.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #7

I recently moved from Texas to Alaska and made the 4000+ mile trip in my 2012 FX4 Ecoboost towing a 25' TT loaded to the gills with everything my family of 6 will need until our household goods get here in a month. I do not have the max tow pkg but I have the 3.73 rear end and the regular factory trailer towing pkg. I installed a factory trailer brake controller myself and added some slip-on towing mirrors for the trip. With my Reese WD/sway controlling hitch I had absolutely no problems towing the trailer through the mountains in the north or the flat windy plains of the Midwest. There was always plenty of power in reserve for passing or climbing hills. I would recommend the Ecoboost to anyone...I love my truck!!!!
Jgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #8

I would let eco boost mature before buying that system. I spoke with a Ford service guy who recommended waiting. GMC/Chev trucks get the best mileage of V8's or so they claim. My experience not so much. What I have found out is that all the manufactureers use two wheel drive vehicles to arrive at their mpg estimates. The mileage on the window stickers isnt right either. If you dont get the mileage they claim, they will blame you for it.

Jes a warning not to expect what they claim.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

Thanks for all your input. We are really looking forward to getting back to camping...albeit out of the tent and off the ground.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #10

I'm towing a 35 foot trailer weighing just over 8000 loaded. My Ecoboost is a 2011 XLT with the crew cab and the heavy duty tow package. Been on the road now for the last two months with no issues. Running about 10.1 MPG towing with over 2500 miles of towing completed. When not towing I average about 21 MPG highway. Truck has about 16000 miles on it now and we love it!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by h60mo View Post
I'm towing a 35 foot trailer weighing just over 8000 loaded. My Ecoboost is a 2011 XLT with the crew cab and the heavy duty tow package. Been on the road now for the last two months with no issues. Running about 10.1 MPG towing with over 2500 miles of towing completed. When not towing I average about 21 MPG highway. Truck has about 16000 miles on it now and we love it!
definitely not my experience. Matter of fact at highway speeds... Id be lucky to ever see more than 16 unloaded tailgate down. On a comparison my 5.4 equipped 150 gets 20 on the highway at the same speeds.

If youre claiming you average 21mpg on an ecoboost... I would check my math and tank capacity or you dont drive faster than 40 mph. (which is where Fords engineers got the most mpg).

I could not run my business if my trucks werent going 75mph on the highway.

I will also say that Ford will not tolerate ANY modifications to the eco boost platforms. No cold air intakes (have you seen the miles of intact tract?), no computer flashs/tuning, no exhaust modification.
Anyone familiar with turbos knows that a simple intake/flash/exhaust is worth easy gains.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #12

In the last 6000 miles we haven't done much interstate driving, mostly back roads. I do know that above 65 MPH the MPG drops off but haven't done enough miles over 65 to know what it drops to. The 3.73 rear end definitely likes the slower speed of back roads. My MPG maxes out at around 50 MPH but I usually drive at about 60 on the back roads with a 55 MPH speed limit. This is where I get 21 MPG. I have a very light foot and usually get good milage on most of my vehicles. The towing I have done so far has been split between the Smoky mountains of NC, Va, WV and Tenn and the midwest and I have consistently stayed above 10 MPG towing AT 55 mph. I have plenty of power for passing on even the steepest grades I have encountered. I have not even considered any mods to the truck, I am satisfied with its performance. The 06 Chevy I traded in was a large V8 with about a 9600 tow rating. It had trouble towing the trailer over overpasses. I do wish I had a 2012 though. The max load package and the 36 gallon tank would be fantastic.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
its definitely a neat alternative to the standard v8. I wish there was more flexibility on configuring it and a manual trans option.
On the promo vids... Ford is showing some serious abuse. As a service vehicle and the mpg claims... it made sense to give it a try.
The torque is awesome but "stock" is never enough. there is another 50hp/30lb ft if not more available with simple tweaks. Not looking to race it just have close to unlimited power available at the pedal.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #14

I have the 2012 F-150 Platinum Super Crew w/6 1/2' box, EcoBoost engine, 3.73 LS axle, HD Payload pkg (towing mirrors, brake controller, hd hitch, etc) rated for 11,200. My 2012 298RE Outback fully loaded would be 9000 lbs (I have yet to get it "fully loaded" but the wife is working on it. LOL!). So far I am quite happy with how it feels and my only concern is that I tend to forget it's back there and creep a wee bit too much over the speed limit (Whoa Big Red!)

Awesome truck and I have no regrets!