Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2005, 04:15 PM   #1

Does anyone have experience with this product? I am thinking of buying it to install it on an 05 Ford Diesel.Does this product work? Does it lead to problems? Is it worth doing? Your experiences would be welcomed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2005, 04:15 PM   #2

Does anyone have experience with this product? I am thinking of buying it to install it on an 05 Ford Diesel.Does this product work? Does it lead to problems? Is it worth doing? Your experiences would be welcomed.

Old 09-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
go over to www.thedieselstop.com and do a search. You will find tons of information.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:08 AM   #4

I can vouch for two people that wouldn't want to give theirs up.

I get better MPG and better pulling ability.

The Edge EZ is basic as far as features go. Mine has 4 settings. Pulls best on setting 2. Gets best full economy on setting 1.

My Dodge CTD 3.73 gears, on a recent trip got 19 mpg running 80 and 20 mpg running 75.

Get yourself an EGT gauge.

Only problem it leads to for some people is to watch the tires break loose when they plant their right foot to the floor.

After running with one for over a year, and this being my 3rd diesel truck, I wonder why I didn't have one long time ago.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:27 AM   #5

Thanks for the information. That is what I was looking for. I am concerned that I might damage the truck with this type modification. I did go to the "Dieselstop" web site, and found that many of the people there are "wannabe drag racers" that have modified their trucks way more than I want to, or can afford. All I want is a mileage improvement and a little more power for the hills. I would continue to welcome more comments, pro or con. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:07 AM   #6

I'm running the Juice with Attitude which does the same thing to the engine settings except it has some fancy extras like a pyrometer and automatic defueling if the exhaust temperature gets a little high.
To answer your question, yes you will like the power increase and I conceder it very worth while. Very little problems could be expected from this small of an increase. However with that said, the advertised increases are real and you will feel the difference with out a doubt.
You do need to keep in mind that Ford will do away with the warranty of your truck if they know it has been installed.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:20 PM   #7

I like mine and the additional power and torque it gives me. I've had it for five years and have no complaints.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:30 AM   #8

Thanks for the information. I am looking at the 3 level EZ. I am told that level 1 is for mileage, 2 for towing & 3 for "power". Is that the one you have? I am not sure if there is just one EZ model that is, or was sold.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #9

I have a superchips 60hp 'chip' in my truck for towing. If I were to buy a chip/programer today I would probably go with a Edge product.
Are they worth it, one word, YEP!!! I wont drive or tow with out the chip. I can hold a gear taller going up hills, shifts less often because of the extra power.

But before you chip, get gages!!!
Old 09-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #10

Thanks for the positive response. I agree on the need for gauges, and have already installed an Ispro temp sensor in the exhaust just after the turbo. I have a factory installed boost and transmission gauge,(instrument cluster) and wonder if they are good enough.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #11

Not sure about the Edge, but I have a Predator that I tow with on the 65hp setting in my '04 F350--it is amazing how much better performance/mileage is using it. Be aware that using a EGT gauge post-turbo can be as much as 400 d lower than the turbo actually sees. Pre-turbo is the recommended location in the exhaust manifold.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:08 AM   #12

Thanks for the information. I do understand that the temp can vary by 300 to 400 degrees. I was also advised that there pitfalls in installing in the "pre" position such as possible drill chips traveling into the turbo and that only one bank of cylinders is being monitored. I keep a close eye on the gague and just use a higher temp number as the "red line" limit.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Boy, I wouldn't leave home without it. I tow in level 3 of 4 most of the time, EGT gauge is located in the exhaust downpipe, watch the gauge and never let it go above 1050, usually not above 1000. That should equate to around 1300 to 1350. I've used it for about 40k miles now and no problems. You want to make sure you have the 4.6 or higher Edge firmware in it.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:11 PM   #14

Thanks for the information. I plan to order the EDGE unit tomorrow. I have not heard any bad reports on the EDGE product, (EZ) and hope I have the same experience.