Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2018, 05:30 AM   #29

I lost track of all the updates and tweaks that were made to trucks in the last 5 - 7 years. I had a Ford dually 6.7 for 6.5 years with no trouble. I was amazed by the power. I also drove my friends Ram dually towing an empty 40' horse trailer with living quarters. It also had amazing power. Not sure I could tell them apart as far as power was concerned.

The Ram was a 2011 and the Ford a 2012. Lots of improvements since then. They injected all diesel engines with more steroids.

I just bought a new truck. It came down to a few minor options and the way I would use the truck. The Ford with the key pad entry and push button start allows me to leave the FOB in the truck, lock the doors from the outside using the key pad. Go to the beach and not worry about the FOB. Come back to the truck. Hit the code to open the door, get in and start the truck with fumbling for the FOB.

It did not come down to which could tow better as all can do that.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I lost track of all the updates and tweaks that were made to trucks in the last 5 - 7 years. I had a Ford dually 6.7 for 6.5 years with no trouble. I was amazed by the power. I also drove my friends Ram dually towing an empty 40' horse trailer with living quarters. It also had amazing power. Not sure I could tell them apart as far as power was concerned.

The Ram was a 2011 and the Ford a 2012. Lots of improvements since then. They injected all diesel engines with more steroids.

I just bought a new truck. It came down to a few minor options and the way I would use the truck. The Ford with the key pad entry and push button start allows me to leave the FOB in the truck, lock the doors from the outside using the key pad. Go to the beach and not worry about the FOB. Come back to the truck. Hit the code to open the door, get in and start the truck with fumbling for the FOB.

It did not come down to which could tow better as all can do that.
Well I finally got around to test driving the truck and man what an upgrade from my 2008 tacoma. Room so much room. the 8ft bed seemed pretty handy as well. I have always wanted more bed after the 5' bed on the tacoma. I will be honest, I really liked the diesel. Actually much more than I expected. The 18,000 to capacity is also appealing although I don't expect to get anywhere near that. The only not so surprising thing is that the ride was a little rough but I get bet that had a lot to do with having 80psi in the rear tires. I'm going to give the F250 a spin and compare the numbers and decide what I might do. Also the F350 had a CC of 3203lbs.
nomad_archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #31

In the past I would lower air pressure in the tires when not towing. Then add air pressure when towing. Especially after camping season for example. Then I became a snowbird. After that I just kept air pressure at 65 psi and tolerated and got more use to the ride.

It is a pain to re-air the tires.

I had a long bed truck with the longer wheelbase which helps the ride.

Now in my shorter wheelbase gas powered truck I have 65 psi but the newer truck rides ok IMHO.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
In the past I would lower air pressure in the tires when not towing. Then add air pressure when towing. Especially after camping season for example. Then I became a snowbird. After that I just kept air pressure at 65 psi and tolerated and got more use to the ride.

It is a pain to re-air the tires.

I had a long bed truck with the longer wheelbase which helps the ride.

Now in my shorter wheelbase gas powered truck I have 65 psi but the newer truck rides ok IMHO.
That truck I looked at yesterday sold today. It looks like I get to order one some time in the next few months. I also have to decide gas or diesel, long bed or short bed. So far Im at f350 crew cab most likely a lariat trim level. But that's a whole different discussion.
nomad_archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #33

I have had a 2012 F-450 KR to tow a 5th wheel and now a 2017 F-250 Lariat 6.2 gas to tow a future (who knows when) travel trailer. I liked both trucks. The 2012 Dually had a cargo capacity of 4,450lbs. The 2017 F-250 2 wheel drive Lariat has a cargo capacity of 3,497lbs.

You really can not go wrong with any new truck you buy.

The modern diesel engine will provide a ton of power but add some tolerable complexity.

The gas engine provides adequate power but only half the torque of the diesel.

If you want a F-350 gas engine you will need to order it as the only F-350's I found were diesel.

Tags
cat, weight