Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #57

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Preventing sway makes more sense.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 01:57 AM   #58

"This isn't a thread about the merits of 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 tons generally ".

I think it is. Not enough truck. The 250 is bigger, heavier, and beefier. I think it will make a big difference when it comes to the wind. Get the 250 powerstroke- you will be a happy man and never look back or regret your decision.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #59

Ah yes, but if I do that, I'll have to buy a fifth wheel to match.
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
"This isn't a thread about the merits of 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 tons generally ".

I think it is. Not enough truck. The 250 is bigger, heavier, and beefier. I think it will make a big difference when it comes to the wind. Get the 250 powerstroke- you will be a happy man and never look back or regret your decision.
Don't disagree totally with you but I tow with my Freightliner. It weighs 18kish. Haven't put on scales yet. Wind will blow it on the road also. Just as much as my 8k dually. When you have a 13' wall wind will affect you.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Preventing sway makes more sense.
Agreed. I was addressing the discussion about whether higher or lower speeds would help address sway.
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #62

Outdoors RV Owners Club
High speeds will make sway more dangerous.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, you certainly get it about a bigger truck. I still own a 28 foot TT, 30' overall (currently for sale) that I towed with our 2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV. Yes, tows great! I even towed that trailer, loaded with all of our camping gear from CA to TX. Did it over 3 days and we camped in the TT each night. On the I10 South out of Van Horn, TX there are posted signs "Heavy Wind Possible" along various stretches of that freeway. Even though I had pulled for over 5 years and hit my share of "weather", I was hit by such strong wind, in a flash, me, my truck and trailer were pushed into the next lane. Thank goodness there was no other vehicle there and the freeway was fairly empty. My setup also includes a WD hitch and anti sway bars. The escalade suspension auto compensates to correct ride height when additional weight is added to the rear. Sometimes there truly is Not A Thing you can do about it. However, my tow vehicle is More than up to the task so that it too would stay more planted when lesser yet still high wind gusts hit the side of my "rolling billboard". Just a fact of life
with trailers and other high visibility vehicles.

With all that said, I will tell you that over the recent July 4th weekend the DW and I drove through that same stretch but in our 38 foot+ DP. I certainly felt the wind but I was certainly much more planted on the road and the affects were much less pronounced on me.

I'm not suggesting you run out and buy a DP MH, I waited almost 12 years to finally be able to get ours, but if you like/love the camping lifestyle, it would truly be a good goal to have. That is if wind is one of your chief concerns.

Lastly, the more you tow, the better you will constantly get at it as well as the more experienced you will become and mentally ready for various weather conditions before they are upon you.

All the best!
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #64

MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:19 AM   #65

I used to tow a 34 foot Holiday Rambler Alumalite XL trailer with a 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban 350 and ran into the same problem with side winds and when being passed by a semi-truck. I had a Pull-Rite hitch installed on the Suburban, and the problem went away. I am not sure of those hitches are still available or not as it's been several years now.
txswabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, travel, travel trailer