Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

Effect of Side Winds on Long Travel Trailer towed by F150 or F250

This isn't a thread about the merits of 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 tons generally - there are plenty of those on here. I have a very specific question about handling in high side-winds.

Our tow vehicle is a 2015 Ford F150, with the 3.5 ecoboost, which has a dry weight of 5300 lbs, GVWR of 7000 lbs, a towing capacity of 11700 lbs, a cargo carrying capacity of 1700 lbs, rear axle capacity of 3800 lbs, front axle capacity of 3450 lbs, and GCWR of 16000 lbs and change.

Our TT is a 2017 Crossroads Z1, 328sb. Dry weight is 7800 lbs, and loaded for camping is around 8600 lbs. It has a 32' box, and is 36' long overall. I'm using a Blue Ox Sway Pro weight distribution hitch, which has been properly set up, with 1500 lb torsion bars.

When I had the truck and TT weighed, loaded for camping, we are 2000 lbs under the truck's GCWR, but are pushing the maximums for GVWR and rear axle weighing. We will be running the truck without cargo in the truck's box, as when we had the box loaded with gear, it put us slightly over our rear axle capacity (by 120 lbs).

Our first trip involved an 1800 km trip (about 1100 miles), from Toronto through Thunder Bay. About 1000kms (600 miles) of the trip involved towing through mountain terrain, up and down steep grades and some very steep grades. The 3.5 ecoboost had no problem, and generally ran at between 1800 and 3500 rpms, depending on the grade. On the very steepest grades, it was running 5000 rpms for short periods of time, and we were passing transports which couldn't run at 55mph up the hill. There were no problems pulling the trailer, no problems accelerating, no problems running up steep grades, no problems controlling the trailer downhill, and no problems braking (even for a sudden stop).

Gas mileage on the truck alone for the trip one way was 20.8mgp. Towing back with the trailer was about 7.6mpg.

The only issue we did have was in side winds. We bought the trailer and left in side winds involving 47kph gusts. The truck/trailer was getting pushed or buffeted by the wind, and this was uncomfortable driving. At a couple of points later in the trip, we confronted more side winds, with a similar experience. The good news is the WD hitch controlled any sway very well, so that wasn't an issue.

I'm an inexperienced tower when it comes to larger trailers.

Due to the issue with the side winds, we are considering upgrading to a F250. An F250 is the only option that will work for our family if we upgrade, as Ford is the only company offering a 6 seater truck, with 6 over the shoulder seatbelts in a truck that will handle our trailer.

My question is will there be a difference in side wind handling between MY F150 (ie. a 2015 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost) and an F250 diesel with a 6.7 powerstroke diesel. I've been told by a salesperson that due to the size of our trailer, regardless of whether I upgrade or not, there will be a significant impact on the truck/trailer combo in high winds. I'm told there may be a small difference if we upgrade, as the F250 is a heavier truck, but it won't be a night and day difference.

My question isn't about general truck towing abilities - I appreciate that F250s handle and tow much, much better than older F150s.....but older F150s don't come with a 3.5 ecoboost. I just don't have a concern about how the truck pulled or stopped the trailer. I'm also not concerned about the gas mileage. My only concern is about the sidewinds.

I'm interested in any comments on this, but am especially interested in hearing from anyone who has towed a large travel trailer with the 3.5 ecoboost in higher winds, and made the switch to a 3/4 ton truck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #2

Sorry for the really long introductory post.....

Old 03-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

Unfortunately your not going to get away from the uncomfortable feeling of side winds. That is an enormous sail your pulling and I pull one as well.

The best thing you can do is keep in a lower gear so your truck is pulling not coasting or lugging. Next you have to get comfortable with that situation don't death grip the wheel but be prepared for reaction.

The longer and heavier the truck the better the towing performance.

I used to tow with was in my avatar, which is probably similarly to you but I have way more weight. That was a 3/4 ton shortbed. I went to a dually, not much bothers me now.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My Dodge Ram 2500 with diesel engine weighs 8K pounds before I hook up the trailer. That alone is a big difference to the dry weight of your F150 at 5300 pounds. That has to be helping me out in side winds over your set up.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 PM   #5

Old 03-22-2016, 10:48 PM   #6

You'll always get moved around with the side winds no matter what. If you go up to a 250 the amount of wind needed to give you that seat-cover-eating clench will increase as well, but it still will happen with a bumper pull of that length.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've pulled trailers in the past and the only thing that will really make a noticeable difference would be a dually pickup. However the main thing to do is slow down when the winds go up, I don't care what you are driving.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #8

Agree that side winds will always be an issue, but should be better in a 3/4 ton. I went from towing with a 1500, to a 2500 cummins... night and day difference. Always felt white knuckle and hater the gasser screaming along... with the diesel you have to remind yourself you are towing.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:09 AM   #9

You preface with "this isn't a thread about the merits of 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 tons", but that's exactly what it is. Your 150 doesn't have the weight or tires that a 250 has. This has a lot to do with how your truck reacts to side winds. You probably have passenger tires on your 150 and not LT tires with a stiffer sidewall and higher tire pressure. Sure, you're still going to feel side winds with a 250, but it sure won't be as bad as with a 150. If you're going to go with diesel, I recommend you go up to the 350 as the Diesel engine really eats up some payload on the 250.

Bruce
Old 03-23-2016, 07:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
You preface with "this isn't a thread about the merits of 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 tons", but that's exactly what it is. Your 150 doesn't have the weight or tires that a 250 has. This has a lot to do with how your truck reacts to side winds. You probably have passenger tires on your 150 and not LT tires with a stiffer sidewall and higher tire pressure. Sure, you're still going to feel side winds with a 250, but it sure won't be as bad as with a 150. If you're going to go with diesel, I recommend you go up to the 350 as the Diesel engine really eats up some payload on the 250.

Bruce
Thanks. Good comment. We do have LT tires. What I'm really trying to avoid is a thread with a whole bunch of discussion on gas mileage, engine size, brake pad differences etc..... What we really don't have a good sense of is the extent of the difference of the impact in side winds.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen Family View Post
Thanks. Good comment. We do have LT tires.
Those LT tires may be one of the problems with handling in side winds.
My silly BIL added LT E tires on his 2008 1500 chevy after I warned him about the positives vs negatives of doing so.
His truck came with P265/70-17 tires at 44 psi. He swapped for the same size LT E even though we found his wheels were good for only 62 psi.
He ran the tires at 62 psi. With that big trailer pushing the back end of the truck around in windy conditions those under inflated rear tires had severe carcass roll.

Another handling issue in side winds can be bias ply tires on the trailer and radials on the tow vehicle.

Truck weight and wheel base. Increase those two things will go a long way toward eliminating handling issues in side winds with a RV trailer that long.

We can only assume your hitch system is set up properly.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a FYI tidbit if you weren't aware, your truck has an anti-sway built in.

I was towing a 30 foot Keystone bumper pull with a 2010 F-150 and Equalizer weight distribution and sway control hitch. At one point going down the hill in New Mexico, the trucks' sway control kicked in and it was all over before I could even react. The power changed (I believe the manual states the computer adjusts power to the wheels that need it) and, I think the steering wheel adjusted. Apparently, if the cross-wind becomes too much for the hitch sway control, your truck will react and fix it. Happened so fast, it was amazing. It literally adjusts the sway situation before you could possibly react to the wind or the sway control, itself. A split second and it's already over.

As for which truck... I can't imagine a few LBS heavier and stiffer truck will make much difference. That's still a 36 foot kite you're pulling and that's not going to change much.
blang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #13

A 3/4 ton truck will weigh 2,000lbs. more than a 1/2 ton truck. That alone will control the trailer in all conditions better. How much better? I towed with a 1/2 ton truck and now a dually. Using a 1/2 him truck as a basis the dually controls the same trailer 95% better. So this is just a guess that a single rear wheel F-250/350 would control the trailer in a cross wind 50 - 75% better. Again just a guess as I have never used a single rear wheel F-250/350.

Just so you know the F-250 be a F-350 is no difference in size. I will always recommend the F-350 over a F-250.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #14

If you wanna see the difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton, crawl under and look at the frame rails, brakes, axles... night and day difference

chertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, travel, travel trailer