Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

Electric Brake Controller

I recently bought a used 2003 Sun Valley Roadrunner M130. The gross weight for this TT is 2,910 lbs. The vehicle I have right now is a 2004 Dodge Dakota v6 2.6 Liter 2wd. Being a newbie I did not know that I needed and electric brake controller in my truck. My question is this TT light enough to get by without using the electric brakes? if I do need to get a controller which one should I get? I do plan on getting a new truck, But I would like to take this trailer out this spring before buying a new truck.

Thanks,

Paul

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You have electric brakes, an excellent SAFETY feature for you, your passengers, and others on the road, and you want to avoid using it? Why?

Old 02-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
If your trailer has electric brakes- Yes- get a controller

I don't think brand matters. I have a Takonsha that came with my used trailer. Easy to wire into your electrical system. Mine works good & adjusts easily

Good luck with your new rig-hope you enjoy the adventure.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply & advice.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

Well I found the blue plug under the dash of my 2004 Dodge Dakota that the controller would connect too. Would the controller at this link be OK?
Reese Brakeman Compact Brake Control for 1 to 2 Axles 74642: Advance Auto Parts

Thanks.

Paul
Old 02-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I do not know about the 04 Dakota wiring.

I would suggest finding info at You Tube, or from the controller manufacturer.

I found a good you Tube video for my 09 GMC- made it very easy.

Just don't hook wires until you know for sure- you don't want to see any smoke!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #7

I believe the blue plug in the attached picture is for the controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	119638  
Old 02-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Try this:
Let me google that for you
Old 02-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafgulch View Post
Well I found the blue plug under the dash of my 2004 Dodge Dakota that the controller would connect too. Would the controller at this link be OK?
If you mean will the brake controller work if you plug it into that plug, then it probably will, provided that wiring harness and plug has been properly wired into the fuse block/power supply with the correct fuse/relay.

I towed an 8,000-pound 5er for over 11 years and 100,000 miles with that exact controller, except it was the sister brand DrawTite instead of Reese. Works fine after properly installing it and setting up the controller with the appropriate gain and response time. That's a "cheap" controller, but it works fine if you practice with it and understand the time delay involved.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

For most new pickups produced in the last 10 years or so, an OEM brake controller was optional. Very few pickups included a brake controller as standard equipment.

For example, the F-150 integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) is included with the Maximum Tow Package, but is optional with the regular tow package, and not available unless the pickup has at least the regular tow package (receiver hitch, wiring harness for trailer plug, tranny oil cooler, etc.).

Savy owners insisted on the OEM ITBC being on their pickup, so a good percentage of F-150s since about the 2008 model year will have the ITBC. If it didn't come from the assembly line with the ITBC installed, a Ford dealer's shop could add it to the truck, provided the truck has at least the regular tow package from the factory.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #11

My truck had a timed brake control on it when I bought it. I replaced it with a P3, best money I spent. It might have been that my timed control was a cheap one, but I never got it to adjust the way I wanted. I either had a lot or a little brake. Just my 2 cents, get a good one and you won't have to upgrade later.

Tags
brake