Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Electric Brake Controls

I forgot to ask a question in my previous post. The truck I have now is a Ford F350 with the tow package built in. Also it has an electric brake control in it. If it has tow control why does it need a brake control? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
mward3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mward3 View Post
I forgot to ask a question in my previous post. The truck I have now is a Ford F350 with the tow package built in. Also it has an electric brake control in it. If it has tow control why does it need a brake control? Any info will be appreciated.
Mike, The truck does not need a brake control. What needs a brake control is a trailer with electric brakes that you might tow on the back of your truck.

If you are not towing the brake controller does nothing.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The brake controller is essentially a part of the tow package. The tow package has things like the heavy duty cooling, beefier suspension, etc. The ford has an integral brake controller which has the sole job of sending a voltage signal to the trailer brakes.

Read the owners manual about setting the brake control function for your trailer. For the transmission, select the tow/haul mode and let the computer do the work.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mward3 View Post
The truck I have now is a Ford F350 with the tow package built in. Also it has an electric brake control in it. If it has tow control why does it need a brake control?
The newer Ford SuperDuty pickups have some electronic gizmos that assist with trailer sway, but that has nothing to do with stopping the rig using the brakes on the trailer and the tow vehicle. You need the brake controller to activate the electric trailer brakes. The optional Ford trailer brake controller is a really good one, compared to some of the less sophisticated versions available on the aftermarket.

The brakes on your truck are designed to stop the truck when loaded for bear, but they are not intended to also stop the trailer. That's why trailers have brakes. But you have to tell the trailer brakes when and how much to brake the forward progress of the trailer. You talk to the trailer brakes through the trailer brake controller in the truck.

The more electric "juice" you send to the trailer brakes, the more the brakes will clamp onto the brake drums of the trailer axles. The electric trailer brakes use magnets to push the brake shoes against the brake drums, and the more juice to apply to the magnets, the more braking force you have. Too much juice and the trailer brakes lock up and lose traction, which not a good. Your Ford trailer brake controller sends juice to the trailer brakes depending on how hard you mash on the brake pedal. So it is called a proportional brake controller - the harder you mash on the brake pedal the more juice is sent to the trailer brakes. Most trailer brake controllers send a fixed amount of juice to the brakes, and you must adjust the brake controller to tell it how much juice to send depending on the weight of the trailer. But the Ford trailer brake controller is "integrated" into the Ford brake system, so it sends about the same braking force to the trailer brakes as the brakes on the pickup are using.

I'm sure the above description can be improved upon, but I'll let others do it.

My new pickup has the optional Ford brake controller. I took the rig out yesterday, drove 30 miles to a CAT scale, and weighed the rig. The trailer brake controller worked great on that 60-mile round trip.

Some expensive new trailers have "electric over hydraulic" disk brakes. The trailer brakes are disk brakes just like the disk brakes on your truck, and they are activated by brake fluid (hydraulic fluid) just like the brakes on your truck. But instead of having a brake pedal to mash on the master cylinder, they have an electric connection to a solonoid that mashes on the trailer's master cylinder when you send juice to the trailer brakes. Your Ford integrated brake controller should work on electric over hydraulic brakes as well as ordinary electric trailer brakes, whereas most brake controllers will not work with electric over hydraulic brakes.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake