Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Electric vs Manual Awning

I used to the manual awning. I now have an electric awning. The new awning arms seem flimsy compared to the manual awning arms. How do these take the wind? Doesn't look like you can tie them down like the manual awning. What has been your experience? Do you hang lights on them like the manual awning? Will it support them?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #2

After seeing several awnings taken away by the wind, I would not tie it to the ground. Seems to me all you are doing is putting the trailer awning mounts against the tiedowns to the ground. I suspect the tiedowns would win and the repair to the trailer would be expensive.

If you have ever seen the wind take a spring loaded roller tube and throw it over the camper and land on the slide, you hope you, your family or property are nowhere nearby. There is an incredible amount of energy in that roller tube due to its weight.

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No idea what awning you had and now have so can't really compare. The arms on the two power awnings I have had were at least as substantial or more so than the manual awnings I have seen, power awnings can be anchored to the ground just as manual awnings can, and you can hang lights or whatever on them. Much depends on the design of the awning arms. I would not be able to use de-flappers on my current Carefree Eclipse arms, but did on the previous Carefree One Touch model.

All that said, it would be a very rare occasion for me to tie my awning to the ground. I did with the One Touch on a few occasions, but have not with the Eclipse in the apx 5 years I have had it.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #4

I was specifically told by the salesman on ours, "These are sun awnings, not rain awnings, not wind awnings, they are sun awnings." We were away from the trailer and the wind picked up, it folded up with the wind but that means the awning was flapping. :O
So if we leave I roll them up.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #5

I've never owned a power awning; and after hearing friends swear at theirs , I doubt , I ever will.
Limited tilt angle to shade from the sun, holding water till they have 5+ gallons of rain water then dumping, retracting in the slightest breeze, among the constant complaints.
I secure my manual 21' awning with straps to the ground, side and end sun screens attached, for 4+ months at a time.
Am I at risk of damage from wind ? Probably; but ; the set up has withstood 35+ MPH gusts, and 4 snowbird seasons so far, so either I'm very lucky , or doing something right.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #6

I've had my power awning for 1.5 seasons and no issues. You can adjust the sides/angle so the rain runs right off. We had a serious downpour that actually collapsed our EZ-UP due to water pooling, but the power awning had no issues at all. I have only had one high wind situation where it started to flap, and just rolled it in. I've heard people say to never leave them out over night or when you leave the site, but I have not worried about it. It stays out all night with the lights hanging on it, and one side slightly lower. I think you do need to be a little more aware of it, but I would not fear it and certainly would not replace it with a manual just to have "peace of mind". They are definitely more convenient.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I had to order my last tt in order not to have a power awning. I like the fact I can tilt my awning to 45 degrees when I leave for the day, lower one end lower for rain run-off and the option to tie the awning to the ground. It's just personal choice....same with key-less entry, power stablizers....didn't want it....get a short in the system and your screwed...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:52 PM   #8

I've had 2 power and one manual. The manual was better than the 1st power. While the 1st power was nice because it was power, the rest was not. It went straight out with no provisions for tilt. And when it rained you had better not be any where near the end that drops the water. At least with the manual you could tilt it for drain off or for the angle of the sun.

Now to our current 2nd power awning. It's got features of both. Power and tilt. You can adjust it for which ever way the sun is shinning or if you want just a few feet out for rain. I would never have another manual awning again. But I will only get an adjustable power awning.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #9

I would NEVER leave any awning out in the wind. It's a sail! Why tie it down when you can push a button and have it in, literally in 10 seconds?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
I was specifically told by the salesman on ours, "These are sun awnings, not rain awnings, not wind awnings, they are sun awnings." We were away from the trailer and the wind picked up, it folded up with the wind but that means the awning was flapping. :O
So if we leave I roll them up.
An honest salesman, but he should have told you that it was useless before he sold it.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I tie ours down in the daytime and put it away every night. If it gets too windy it gets put away. If we leave the campground it gets put away. I can remove the tie downs in 10 seconds with the way I have it rigged. Its just a push of the button. My headache is the motor has gone twice. If had to replace the entire awning I would seriously give thought to a manual one.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
An honest salesman, but he should have told you that it was useless before he sold it.
My thoughts are, being facilities by trade, is that they have had to many people try to use it to stop hail, down pours and tornados and then complain the awning failed.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #13

GG1, curious, what brand are you having trouble? Dometic, carefree, ?
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How do these take the wind... If, by some miracle, the wind sensors on your system work properly.. They take the wind retracted.... alas, mine has never worked properly and never will.

I stake mine down very well, had one tie line brake last winter, and the awining came through 100%... The only thing that has damaged it is

1: Sticky gas shock (Bent one arm with a bit of help from the door and very bad placement)
2: A mountain.

The mountain made me shorten it 4 feet, works better and no longer bothers, or is botherd by, the door.

Tags
awning, manual