Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #1

Endcap for Short Bed Trucks

With the discussions going on about long bed vs short bed for maximum turning (90 or so degrees) or expensive automatic sliding hitches, I would like to know more about 5vers with endcaps designed for turning instead of purchasing automatic sliding hitches; in which case standard hitches can be used.

Does anyone out there have any experience with these types of 5vers? I have looked at models like the some of the Heartland RVs and the Keystone Mountaineers which are designed for that purpose. Are they what they say they are?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes they are....
MOST will allow full turns without impacting a short bed's cab...
here's some video's that show you your options:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.GO2trpx0qfk

So for 99% of the time, you won't need a slider....
BUT, for that 1% of the time when I will probably forget about that...

on our 5er probably could have gotten away without the slider,
but when spending $50K on a 5er, I chose not to skimp on say a $1000 difference between a standard hitch and slider ...

I guess my humble opinion is that I buy it once and it works from then on.... but every rv'er goes thru that decision process good luck on yours as I or the gooberment are not forcing you one way or the other

Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #3

Thanks. My apologies. I should have mentioned the subject TV, which is a '12 F 350 SRW SB since the bed characteristics of the BIG three are different.

Perhaps a manual slider (for insurance) in case a turning situation my look bleak I would have the option as I have heard in other forums with people who have this combination.

Hopefully would like to hear some more dialog. And once again thanks for your opinion on this!!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Yes they are....
MOST will allow full turns without impacting a short bed's cab...
here's some video's that show you your options:
full turns with shortbed and fifth wheel - YouTube

So for 99% of the time, you won't need a slider....
BUT, for that 1% of the time when I will probably forget about that...

on our 5er probably could have gotten away without the slider,
but when spending $50K on a 5er, I chose not to skimp on say a $1000 difference between a standard hitch and slider ...

I guess my humble opinion is that I buy it once and it works from then on.... but every rv'er goes thru that decision process good luck on yours as I or the gooberment are not forcing you one way or the other

I whole heartedly agree. I had a short bed truck with a sliderand really never got into a situation where I needed to slide it. i got complacent and one day I poped out the rear cab window. insruance covered it, but it was the inconvenience that bothered me.

I am TX for the winter. FWIW -my "neighbor" has a SB F-350 and a 5er with the notched corners. when he arrived this winter, one of his rear windows was popped out from a tight turn.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote