Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #1

As you may have figured out, I'm new to diesel pickups although I've wanted one a long time. I've got a 2006 F250, 6.0PSD, auto, 2X4, 3.73.

WOW 15 QUARTS PER OIL CHANGE! For reasons I'll not get into, I'm planning to pay someone to change the oil. I'd like to get 200K-300K out of the truck. I only tow 10K# a few times a year, I drive and tow in a conservative fashion (no jack rabbits and <65mph), and I commute 44 miles roundtrip the rest of the time. Oh yeah, and I live in Texas (DFW metro). So here is my next question, and I apologize in advance if it creates any arguments.

Ancient critters and plants, or synthetic?

Thanks,
Ralph

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #2

As you may have figured out, I'm new to diesel pickups although I've wanted one a long time. I've got a 2006 F250, 6.0PSD, auto, 2X4, 3.73.

WOW 15 QUARTS PER OIL CHANGE! For reasons I'll not get into, I'm planning to pay someone to change the oil. I'd like to get 200K-300K out of the truck. I only tow 10K# a few times a year, I drive and tow in a conservative fashion (no jack rabbits and &lt;65mph), and I commute 44 miles roundtrip the rest of the time. Oh yeah, and I live in Texas (DFW metro). So here is my next question, and I apologize in advance if it creates any arguments.

Thanks,
Ralph

Old 10-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Chevron Delo 400 and Shell Rotella T 15w-40 are two of the best dino oils on the market. Although I use synthetic in all of my other vehicles, I run Delo 400 in the Cummins since we don't put that many miles on the truck each year (it now has about 40K miles) and changes at 6 month intervals to get rid of condensation, combustion acids, etc. generally hit at about 3K miles.

If I were on the road continually, I might consider synthetics, but for my application, dino oil works fine. Most of the "million mile" Cummins B-series engines have used either Delo 400 or Rotella T to get there.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I use Shell Rotella 15w-40 dino in my dually and have used that oil in all my diesels since the first one back in the early 90's. I also use it in my diesel farm tractor. Leave the synthetics for those enthusiasts who are firmly convinced it saves them money or makes their trucks last longer and run the dino.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #5

See, I am one of those that believes. I switched the wife's Suzuki to synthetic oil and say an almost instant 1.5MPG increase in economy. This was from week one to week two ever the exact same roads, same times of day commute. So I personally am a firm believer. If you really want to do it right, change to synthetic in everything, differentials, transmission and engine. Use synthetic grease for all the lube points and drive it for 300K miles and be happy. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself. Get some really accurate mileage numbers before and then switch and get a real comparison for yourself. If you are not convinced, in 7500 miles switch back to the cheaper dyno oil. What are you out? Maybe 20 dollars at most!
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #6

Even though it is generally more expensive than dino oil, synthetic oil is the best choice for the 6.0 hands down. I have had several conversations with engineers from Navistar (who built that engine) about this topic and they have all agreed synthetic is the best choice for it because of how finicky it is about oil...

I have run synthetic in mine from its first oil change and will not run anything else.

teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #7

I use Chevron Delo 400 15w40 in my PU and numerous off road equipt. and 2 class 8 trucks. Change oil in the pickup every 8000 mile, and its driven daily for my business, plus pulls the fiver as much as possible. Delo 400 and Rotella T are your 2 best choices.

04 Everest 343L, 07 Chevy 3500 SRW,4x4,D/A,ext.cab
R.G.Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #8

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I change the oil every 3,000 miles myself and every oil change except two was with Rotella-T. Once I used Pep Boys and the other was done at the dealer (because it was free). My truck currently has 129,000 on it.

The dealer's was a rather amusing experience. It was a warm summer evening when my son and I took it for the oil change. We were standing outside the garage door watching the young, inexperienced mechanic put the pan under it and unscrew the plug. He didn't realize that he put a 10 qt. pan under a truck that holds 14 qts. of oil. Whoops! He had a bit of a mess to clean-up from the garage floor before he could move the truck.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSmoak:

Thanks,
Ralph </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a 1999 Powerstroke, with over 170,000 miles on it when I traded it in on my Dodge. Why a Dodge??? Got a better deal..no other reason. Anyway.....I changed the oil ever 3 to 5 thousand miles, and run whatever was on sale, as far as it was 15W-40. My truck had everything from Rotella to the local Farm store brand. No problems, never used any oil.

And arguements,,,,here on IRV2....never happen
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use AMSOIL synthetic and change oil and filter every 10K miles. I've been told I can go longer but I don't want to push it.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:22 AM   #11

I run Premium Blue, since Cummins seems to recommend it.

My truck doesn't get very many miles on it, so I think condensation/contamination from sitting would build up whether it was dino or synthetic...

If I were putting on more miles, or if I was in a really cold climate, I'd run synthetic (better pumpability in cold temps).

I run Redline synthetic in the axles, and I guess the Mopar fluid in the transmission and transfer case is synthetic or semi-synthetic.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #12

Because we live in a cold climate I change mine for the winter to Rotella T 5/40 in order to have much easier starts...not an issue for you.....and generally run Rotella 15/40 the rest of the year. If I might suggest, be sure to change your oil regularly (Ford suggests 5000 mi towing and 7500 regular driving) as well as your transmission fluid and filter (6.0 l with auto trans have a drain plug and a remote filter under the hood that is cheap and easy to change however the ONLY fluid that is recommended is Mercon SP a dealer item). The other item that is vey important is to drain the water from the fuel separator (called the HFCM on your model) every month or so and keep the fuel filters changed every 15,000 miles ...yes there are 2 filters for the fuel on yours. I have been pretty good about this schedule and have 130,000 on mine at least 1/2 of that towing the 5th wheel. Quality fuel, well filtered and quality oil that meets CJ4 will keep your picky injectors that use engine oil to fire, in good condition for a long time to come I believe. Let me know if you want part #'s for less expensive and identical filters.
Ian
Old 12-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I use Rotella T 15/40 and change oil and filter every 5k miles. I change the fuel filter at 10 k or every other oil change. My neighbor has got a trucking company and he uses it in his trucks. When I worked with Sprint the guy that service our diesel generators liked the Rotella t 15/40 and told me they had no oil related problems with it.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #14

I've always used 15W40 dino diesel oil, my preference. Some swear by synthetic oil, to help with your personal decision read this thread right here on irv2.com: synthetic lubricants-aren't. You will notice the author documents every statement with a hyperlink to the information source to avoid doubt.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote