Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #1

Equal-i-zer Hitch and Airlift 1000 Air Bags

I have been told the air bags will make the ride batter while towing camper. Is this correct and is it ok to use air bags while using an Equal-i-zer hitch?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Adding air bags such as ours from Air Lift, can make your ride better. It really depends on each driver's taste in ride quality, the load you are carrying, and on what vehicle.

The purpose of the air bag is to help keep the vehicle from sagging. By leveling the ride of your vehicle you help distribute forces, improve headlight aim, and improve steering ability.

You most certainly can use an Equalizer hitch along with air ride assist. Many people on this board have both in fact.

AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #3

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 and have recently traded up from a 23’ camper weighing 2800 pounds and a hitch weight of 250 pounds, to a 26’ trailer weighing 4800 pounds and a hitch weight of 450 pounds. Depending on when and where we are camping, the load weight in the truck could vary from 50 pounds to 200 pounds.

I have spoken to the dealer from which I bought both trailer from and installed the Equalizer Hitch. When lightly loaded, TV and TT are very level, when fully loaded in the TV, TV and TT tongue about and inch lower. The dealer says the drop is still OK and if you adjust the tension bars on the hitch for heavy loaded truck, the TV and TT will be above level when truck lightly loaded, and this is not good.

Will these air bags give me the ½ or ¾ “ lift back to level when TV is fully loaded…..

Does anyone use them for this.

Thanks….
Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Air bags would be perfectly capable of adjusting and fine tuning to your load needs. That is really there primary advantage.

If you are interested in checking out our product, the kit we offer for your vehicle is 60818.

Hopefully someone with first hand experience can also be of reassurance to you.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #5

Thanks so much for the information
Old 12-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cguardia View Post
Thanks so much for the information
I use Air Lift bags and an Equalizer hitch. My tongue weight is around 1000-1100 pounds. There are some operational considerations with the bags. The bags can help get the bars into the L brackets sans a tongue jack. On the negative side the Equalizer hitch must have sufficient force to work for sway mitigation. If that force is lessened by air bags taking some of the load off the hitch, the sway feature is lessened.

My recommenation would be to get the trailer weighed, know exactly what weight is on each axle and the tongue loaded and ready for camping. Do the same with the tow vehicle. Brochure weights are a joke in most cases, so understated as to be useless. Then have 13 percent of the trailer weight on the tongue. Try for a level trailer without bags and go from there. Use the bags for fine tuning the ride. (If I recall, the Equalizer hitch's owners manual or the website states the pressure needed for the sway feature to work.)
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #7

I just finished installing the Airlift 1000 bags on my 2011 Ram 1500. I installed them to help give a better ride while pulling my camper. I have a couple of questions for those of us who have these air bags.

When do I inflate the air bags, before I hook up the camper or after?

If before hook up, do I fully inflate the bags?

Thanks for the help…….

By the way, the installation of the bags took about 2 hours. The hardest part was installing the hose on the connectors…
Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #8

There is no need to fully inflate the bags unless it takes that much air for your trailer. I would not add air until the trailer is hitched and then use the bags to set the WD or to level the trailer.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem
There is no need to fully inflate the bags unless it takes that much air for your trailer. I would not add air until the trailer is hitched and then use the bags to set the WD or to level the trailer.
This pretty much sums it up. I would hook the trailer before adding any air. Most likely once hooked you will not need to even run the max psi.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #10

Cguardia,

Remember the bags only help with the load, a load that is within the payload and gross vehicle weight rating for your half ton. Bags do not change those values. If you are good to go from a payload standpoint adding the tongue weight of the trailer, the bags can be very beneficial in helpng distribute the load, help the load ride level, and in some cases can even help level the trailer if it remains hitched in a camping situation where unhitching might not be desirable. I have had my Airlift bags since '05 with no leaks or other operational issues.

Perhaps a little off subject here, but with bags you have some ability to help get axle loading even (or more even) as you can add or subtract air. I have found that with my tandem axle trailer the axles do not carry the same weight. This can overload or bring to max the weight the tires are carrying on the heavy axle. It is best to get to a scale and weigh the trailer fully loaded for camping and then play around with trying to get axle weights similar. They will probably never be exactly the same but close (within a few hundred pounds) and then your towing experience will be better. Look for about 10 percent of tongue weight on the ball and if you can get to 13 percent without overloading the front axle, so much the better. Do not tow with less than 10 percent, you also might want to use a tongue scale to get to that number. Be sure the sway feature of the hitch is adjusted correctly. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #11

Thanks for the advise.....
Old 02-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #12

what's being missed in this thread is that if your able to sink the rear of your tow vehicle pass where it's safe then your tow vehicle is not up to the job.
time to upgrade to a vehicle that can handle your load without additives.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cguardia
I have been told the air bags will make the ride batter while towing camper. Is this correct and is it ok to use air bags while using an Equal-i-zer hitch?

Thanks
I have a 07 Ram 1500, 5.7, factory tow, 3.92, 20" wheels with Michelins. I have the Firestone air bags with the Equal-I-zer WD hitch. I dropped the hitch on the shank one notch and use the bags to make up the difference. There is still plenty of weight being sent to the front axle, but with 15 lbs of air, I don't wallupt like an old caddie on the bumps. Oh, I tow an 08 Aerolite 30BHSL. 6000# max, 600# TW. The combination is great, no sway even in Eastern WA wind. The other nice thing is that I can release some air and get the rear of the trailer up a bit for clearance in unimproved campgrounds, or add air if i have more load in the bed. I recommend airbags for any 1/2 ton, even when towing lighter loads, it really makes a difference with the stability.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
We use both. We noticed immediately how much more comfortable the ride was. Before the air bags, it felt like we were bouncing? After air bags, we hardly notice that we're hauling. DH did the install, said it was easy.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote