Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #15

The friction surfaces of the head and sockets should be kept clean and WELL LUBRICATED with a good quality lubricant.

I read that as the head and bar sockets, but thats just me !!!!!
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 12:53 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Ok, Fare enough... The L bracket bar slide area is not specifically stated as a manufacture recommended lube point. Thank you for correcting my categorical lube statement. They state keeping it clean and a level bar contact position (could this be to achieve maximum resistance?).

However… my instructions didn't specifically state “don’t” lube the L bracket slide points, so if they were to get some, it would of course simply reduce to the sway limiting characteristics that the sliding bar might maximally give. It wouldn't change the load leveling capabilities. FWIW... The bar and L bracket can easily be wiped cleaned to remove any lube that might happen there So unlike contaminating a brake pad, it is reversible. Makes it easy to experiment first hand to find out what does or doesn’t work.

Right or wrong … my bar slide area gets some silicon and it works great quietly! Maybe I simply didn’t need maximum sway control on my trailers idk?

This hookup routine was from a former hitch installer that personally used the same hitch regularly. He was probably the biggest influence on my getting the first one. Especially since his shop only sold other brands, I considered his advise because there wasn’t a buck to be made. Just an honest best effort recommendation from good ol experience.
1) Wipe down the pivot areas
2) Shot of silicone and wipe down the L bracket area (clean) leaving just a slight wet look
3) Wipe down the bars with only the lube from the paper towel
4) Shoot silicone on the pivot points and exercise pivots (mine were very tight for a long time)
5) Button things up and go!

I liked using silicone spray because it stayed much cleaner than anything else I tried. I figured less dirt buildup and attraction had to be good.

Consider weight, adjustability/tune-ability, price, tow vehicle attachment and trailer connect effort. Note manufactures statements about when to remove bars or sway control devices. Crests, dips and tight turns can put considerable strain on the trailer A-frame and bar mount points.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:05 AM   #17

Like your "outside the box " thinking as far as experimenting, nothing that cannot be reversed ! i guess it comes down to how much the noise bothers you, vs. amount of sway control ?
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosocks View Post
Quote from Equal-I-zer sway control hitch owners manual "The friction surfaces of the head and sockets should be kept clean and WELL LUBRICATED with a good quality lubricant. They should be lubricated before each trip"
That is exactly correct. The head where the sockets are mounted should be lubricated as needed. The sockets are held in place by large bolts and the torque should be up to spec also. The head and sockets have nothing to do with the friction surfaces on the L brackets mountd on the trailer frame. They sell jackets for the brackets if you have too much noise. Usually with break in the noise goes away. Don't lube the L brackets.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #19
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have used the Equalizer since 2008 towing our 6800 lb TT no problems whatsoever squeaks now and then but not bad.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Witch one handles washboard freeways and tight turns the best? I like the way the Sway Pro chains tighten up over the leverage bars on the Equalizer. I have an old Draw Tite round bar with friction sway and it still works OK but looking at the Sway Pro as an upgrade. How does the fixed head angle work out? Does anybody really understand how it actually stops sway?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox