Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #1

Equalizer E4 vs Reese Dual Cam

I have friends who say the Reese Dual cam is the BEST! In addition to great stability and WD, they say the ease of use is superior. They say backing up is easy too.

The dealer sells both, but insists the Equalizer E4 is easier on my back and great WD and reduction of sway. He claims backing up can be performed.

I’m pulling a new Passport 26’ TT with a Silverado 1500.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time.
cathybil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #2

I can't speak for the Reese, but can say that Equalizer (we have the original) is a very good WD/Sway hitch setup. We pull our '14 Passport 3320 (37' total length) with a Silverado 1500 without any issues. We've got about 3K miles so far on the setup. Adjustments for the hitch weights are quick considering its a bracket design, though you'll rarely have to make any changes (only if your tongue weight changes a lot). The hitch is quiet for the most part, but makes a little noise at low speeds when articulating, which is normal. We originally purchased it because you didn't need to disconnect anything to backup, and the sway bar design allowed better ground clearance, which we needed since we park it on a hill.

That all said, nearly anything is better than the standard bar/chain WD setup that requires a separate sway bar that must be removed to backup. They work, but forget one time, and it isn't pretty.
MagnaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:13 AM   #3

When we downsized to the Minnie, we bought an Equalizer hitch and we're very happy with it. It does what it suppose to do and you just have to live with a few squeaks and groans. The nylon tabs that slip over the L brackets do help. We had a Hensley with our Sunline trailer, and the Hensley is a heck of a hitch, but the Equalizer is much easier to use. Now, if I were pulling a really large and heavy TT, I'd probably still have a Hensley.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just installed an Equal-I-Zer 1400# hitch, and can't say it's that easy on my back!

Heard they're both good. Certainly the Equal-I-Zer is working well. Heard the Reese might be a bit more difficult to "dial-in" and get working the way you want.

I chose the Equal-I-Zer over the Reese because of the clearance issues mentioned earlier and because I didn't want to drill any more holes in the frame. It was bought & installed while in Florida so wanted an "easy" install.

The install was pretty straight-forward. But am still adjusting the weight-distribution to my liking.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Just installed an Equal-I-Zer 1400# hitch, and can't say it's that easy on my back!

Heard they're both good. Certainly the Equal-I-Zer is working well. Heard the Reese might be a bit more difficult to "dial-in" and get working the way you want.

I chose the Equal-I-Zer over the Reese because of the clearance issues mentioned earlier and because I didn't want to drill any more holes in the frame. It was bought & installed while in Florida so wanted an "easy" install.

The install was pretty straight-forward. But am still adjusting the weight-distribution to my liking.
I had a Reese Dual Cam and towed over 30K miles with it. No problem backing up and I set it up correctly on installation and never had to touch it again. Unless you are getting the Hensley, which is the best hitch made, I prefer the lifting function of the Dual Cam to control sway over any friction system, regardless of how many points it has.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

Reese is harder to setup. EQ is easier, but noisier. Also the EQ requires constant greasing of the socket ends. I'd give the Blue Ox Sway Pro a look. The dealer is going to sell you what they have and what's easier to hookup.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Reese is harder to setup.
I really don't have any vested interest here, but why do you say that it is harder? Measure everything out as per instructions, assemble and set the cams loosely. Make sure that you pull out the trailer or use a laser to make sure that everything is straight and then adjust the cams so that they set right in the crooks of the WD bars. Other than that, the setup in no different than just using WD bars.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I have thousands of miles on my Reese Strait-Line dual cam trunnion bar WD hitch. Works great on both my 5,000-pound TT and my 7,000-pound cargo trailer. I don't have any experience with an Equal-I-Zer, but theoretically I prefer the dual cam sway control design to the friction-based Equal-I-Zer sway control design.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #9

I have the Hensley Arrow and I have to say in my humble opinion its the best hitch. nanny nanny poopoo....
lol
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
I have the Hensley Arrow and I have to say in my humble opinion its the best hitch. nanny nanny poopoo....
lol
I don't think that people who know hitches would disagree with you; they are the best at sway control. It's just that they are not necessary if your tow vehicle is larger vs your trailer. When I pull my open trailer with my 2500HD I only use a ball hitch. Sway control isn't necessary if it ain't swaying.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Sway control isn't necessary if it ain't swaying.
The problem with sway is that it can bite you in the butt after you've towed thousands of miles with no indications of sway. With the right conditions of gusting cross winds or big truck going by and sucking your trailer sideways, combined with an unexpected bump on a curve, and the next thing you know is you're upside down in the ditch.

I have an excellent Reese Strait-Line Dual-cam trunnion bar WD hitch that I still use on my 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer. but for my TT I wanted that tiny bit more protection from sway, so I invested in a ProPride. You can buy a new Strait-Line for about $600 from ETrailer.com or Amazon.com, but a new ProPride costs over $2,000. Is the ProPride (or older design Hensley Arrow) worth it? I think so, for "just in case".
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The problem with sway is that it can bite you in the butt after you've towed thousands of miles with no indications of sway. With the right conditions of gusting cross winds or big truck going by and sucking your trailer sideways, combined with an unexpected bump on a curve, and the next thing you know is you're upside down in the ditch.
Agreed, and I wouldn't tow an enclosed trailer without proper sway control. Aero doesn't affect an open trailer very much though, even with a car or equipment on it.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:13 PM   #13

I have both: an Equalizer on my enclosed car trailer and Reese Dual Cam on our TT. I installed both myself. Short answer is that the Equalizer was easier to install and adjust. The Dual Cam required drilling into the trailer tongue and more work with the initial setup.

Once installed, they're about the same in terms of hitching up and they both seem to work well. I haven't noticed any sway from either so it's hard to say which one actually works better in terms of sway control.
drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote