Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #1

Equalizer hitch

Does anyone use an Equalizer hitch and what are you thoughts?
Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #2

Prehistoric engineering. But works efficiently once it's set up properly. We use one with our 22' Fox and have no problems. There are other options, but it's like picking Fords and Chevs--we all have our opinions.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #3

I used an Equalizer hitch with my 21 foot Viewfinder and you didn't know the trailer was behind you. No sway at all even in very gust winds. Also the truck( 2004 f-150) and trailer sat very level. The dealer did a great job of setting it up. It needs to be adjusted right but it is worth every penny. I didn't really like the hitches with the chains supporting them. I now have a 5th wheel, pulls like a dream.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith9 View Post
I used an Equalizer hitch with my 21 foot Viewfinder and you didn't know the trailer was behind you. No sway at all even in very gust winds. Also the truck( 2004 f-150) and trailer sat very level. The dealer did a great job of setting it up. It needs to be adjusted right but it is worth every penny. I didn't really like the hitches with the chains supporting them. I now have a 5th wheel, pulls like a dream.
I use a weight distribution on my 26ft trailer I tow with my 2003 GMC 1500. I only feel the weight in an incline only because of the weight. However, my truck pulls it just fine. I have acheived good speed of 55+ going up hill.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used the equalizer on three trailers and loved it. I have pulled a 8000, 10000, and now 7500 pound trailer. My hitch is now 7 years old and has no problems of any kind.

before I bought it, I used a Husky hitch with chain levelers and the friction bar anti-sway. the equalizer is absolutely better. It is well built and gets the job done. Easy to install if you follow their instructions and easy to use on trips.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #6

On our last TT we had an equalizer, on previous trailer we had Reese dual cam.

Here's my opinion. YMMV.

The dual cam did a better job of making me feel comfortable. The physics of the system (yes, I'm a mechanical engineer, don't laugh) makes it always try to be centered, it exerts forces when off center to try and recenter. It is more tedious to set up initially, and only very slightly more difficult to hitch/unhitch. I would own it again.

The equalizer works on friction, so if you are off center, the system as force to overcome to recenter. Or in other words, there is always resistance to rotation of the trailer relative to the truck, whether straight or in a turn. It still feels stable, just different than dual cam. It is pretty easy on initial set up and simple to hitch/unhitch. I would own it again.

Bottom line: Both systems work as intended IF they are set up correctly. Don't assume your dealer has set them up right. Many dealers take a "one size fits all" approach when setting up hitches. Every tow vehicle-trailer combination needs to be adjusted for proper operation.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I completely agree with Sprinter about dealer set-ups. You need to take the time to understand how hitches work and how they are supposed to be set up. A very large dealer here in Houston was trying to set mine up completely wrong.

I set it up myself correctly only because I had studied the process ahead of time. If you take the time to understand all of the different weights, braking and leveling issues associated with towing a trailer you will be more confident and aware of your equipment.

There are probably lots of good hitches out there that I have no knowledge of, but the Equalizer has served me very well. I will add this note: I bought mine with a heavy trailer in mind 10000#. I bought it when I had my smaller trailer and kept it after the trade-in. I now have my third trailer which is about 7500#. Don't be afraid to buy a heavier hitch so if you trade up you do not need to replace your hitch at the same time. I contacted Equalizer about this (great customer service by the way) and they said nothing wrong with using a stronger hitch than needed.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #8

hitch

Thank you all for your input: We were just concerned as nobody we know had used the equalizer and yes we bought 12K unit for our TT
Old 09-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #9

I use the Equalizer E4 with a 30ft TT and it works great. I love my hitch but I do have a problem with the brackets on the tongue slipping. I called Equalizer and told them my L pins were bent from the brackets slipping and asked if I could weld them to the trailer tongue. They said welding would be fine and they sent me a new set of L pins absolutely free... They insisted. Great customer service. I recently read a forum where an owner just drilled a hole through the tongue and put a bolt all the way through the brackets and tongue and said their setup is solid now with no slipping. They said the manufacturer told them to do that. I plan to try that instead of welding.

The Travel Trailer dealership was going to sell me the E2 for my rig but I insisted on the E4 for more sway control and a higher weight limit. This is my first TT and I am a believer in erring on the side of caution.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #10

We tow a 33' flagstaff 2012 . We have the equalizer 4 way 1,000/10,000
Does a VERY good job
I paid for it one where , but on paper it was free
Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #11

Pull my 31bhpr with a 12k equalizer. Great hitch, no issues so far, easy on, easy off.
Check your tongue weight!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #12

I have the Equilizer 8k version
Works great on our Jayco Jayflight 22FB
I store the arms inside the front storage compartment
Just wipe them off and they are out of the way
I also put the head unit in once we are setup camping
Saves on the shins
RRII