Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Equalizer hitch

Being new to pulling a travel trailer. Set hitch today put washers in took out turned receiver 180 so I could get the height I need .did what book said about measuring . So my best was 4 washers and the L bracket all the way up. Is there other hitches out there to get more lift or being max out on adjustment ok.the total weight is 15200 with 1000 tonuge weight my max on tonuge is 1250 and max on total is 16600.
Thanks for any thoughts
Bob,Linda& missy 310bhs open range pulling with a 2020 1500 5.3 with Max trailing package
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 04:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by new rver View Post
310bhs open range pulling with a 2020 1500 5.3 with Max trailing package
2019 Highland Ridge RV Open Range 310BHS Travel Trailer
Unloaded weight = 9310, Cargo carrying capacity (CCC) = 2190, max trailer weight = 11,500

Assume wet and loaded gross trailer weight of 10,500. With 13% tongue weight (TW), that’s 1,365 TW. Add 100 pounds for the Equal-I-Zer hitch and hitch weight is 1,465.

Quote:
Is there other hitches out there to get more lift or being max out on adjustment ok.
You don’t specify which Equal-I-Zer hitch you have. If it’s not rated for at least 1,400 pounds TW, your hitch is not hefty enough to tow a trailer with 1,465 # hitch weight. Equal-I-Zer makes an E4 hitch that is rated for up to 1,600 pounds hitch weight. That’s the one you need to tow any trailer with more than 1,400 pounds hitch weight.

https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-90-00-1600-Distribution-Standard-Included/dp/B07RZV1SJ6/ref=asc_df_B07RZV1SJ6/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4584345020836685&psc=1

If the above link is not clickable, then copy and paste it into your browser.

If you don’t have that Equal-I-Zer hitch, you bought too light a hitch for your trailer.

Quote:
the total weight is 15200 with 1000 tongue weight my max on tongue is 1250 and max on total is 16600.
Don’t confuse the Chevy’s GCWR of 16,600 with anything useful for matching truck to trailer. And ignore all unloaded weights. You won't be towing an unloaded trailer. Payload capacity of your half-ton pickup is your limiter as to how heavy a trailer you can tow. With a travel trailer (TT) or fifth wheel RV trailer, you will run out of payload capacity long before you get close to the GCWR or tow rating

As indicated above, the average RVer will load that trailer to about 10,500 pounds, so the properly-loaded trailer with an Equal-I-Zer hitch will have about 1,465 pounds of hitch weight. And if you load the trailer to the max of 11,500 pounds, the hitch weight will be about 1,595 pounds.

But even with a hitch rated for 1,600 pounds hitch weight, you may still be overloaded over the weight capacity of your receiver or the payload capacity of your Chevy.

My guess? That's way too much trailer for any half-ton pickup. Your receiver is probably not rated for anything close to 1,600 pounds hitch weight, and your Chevy doesn't have enough payload capacity to tow a trailer with over 1,400 pounds hitch weight when the Chevy is loaded with people and their stuff ready to go camping.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
What Information Do I Need to Know
What are the Different Hitch Classes?
Class I

Class I hitches are weight carrying (WC) hitches rated up to 2000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 200 lbs.
A Class I hitch usually has a 1-1/4" square receiver opening.
A higher class drawbar does not increase the towing capacity of the hitch.
Class I hitches usually attach to the bumper, truck pan or vehicle frame.
Class II

Class II hitches are weight carrying (WC) hitches rated up to 3500 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 300 lbs.
A Class II hitch usually has a 1-1/4" square receiver opening.
A higher class drawbar does not increase the towing capacity of the hitch.
Class II hitches usually attach to the bumper or vehicle frame.
Class III

Class III hitches are weight carrying (WC) and also are weight distributing (WD) depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
Not all Class III hitches are rated to be both. See the specific hitch for that information.
Class III hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 6000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 600 lbs.
Class III hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1000 lbs.
A Class III hitch usually has a 2" square receiver opening.
A higher class drawbar does not increase the towing capacity of the hitch. To use this class of hitch for weight distribution requires a weight distribution system.
Class III hitches attach to the vehicle frame only.
Class IV

Class IV hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
Not all Class IV hitches are rated to be both. See the specific hitch for that information.
Class IV hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1000 lbs.
Class IV hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 14,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1400 lbs.
A Class IV hitch usually has a 2" square receiver opening.
A higher class drawbar does not increase the towing capacity of the hitch. To use this class of hitch for weight distribution requires a weight distribution system.
Class IV hitches attach to the vehicle frame only.
Class V

Class V hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
Class V hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 12,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1200 lbs.
Class V hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 17,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1700 lbs.
Your ball mount and hitch ball need to both be rated for Class V to safely tow these weight loads. To use this class of hitch for weight distribution requires a weight distribution system.
A Class V hitch has a 2-1/2" square receiver opening.
Class V hitches attach to the vehicle frame only.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #4

You need a heavier hitch and a 3/4 ton truck.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:57 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Again thanks for all the info.
Have trailer some what loaded to try to see how much we can load.heres the numbers
Trailer w 9880
Tw 1040
Total w truck and trailer 15220.
Safe travels Bob Linda & missy
Old 11-08-2019, 09:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Again thanks for all the info.
Have trailer some what loaded to try to see how much we can load.heres the numbers
Trailer w 9880
Tw 1040
Total w truck and trailer 15220.
Safe travels Bob Linda & missy
Is this your tongue weight with the WDH set up? Or without? It is 10.5% which most will say is too light....
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:57 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlechmanik View Post
Is this your tongue weight with the WDH set up? Or without? It is 10.5% which most will say is too light....
Yes it is. It was my starting point.I had access to a truck scale .I just packed it with everything we're taking and have to reweigh it .I would like to get more tong weight on it
Old 11-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #8

4 washers is not near enough.
Are you using the tongue jack to raise the truck prior to snapping up the bars?
With that heavy of a tongue weight you should be using 1200# bars and at least 6 washers. Maybe even 1400# bars.

When I used an F150 towing a 7300# TT with a 950# TW, I used 1000# bars and needed to lift the rear of the truck up so the tires were just barely touching the ground.
That was the only way I could snap the bars up on my EQ WDH easily enough. That would get my trucks front back to specs
I used 7 washers as well.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hard to say how many washers since we do not know where the saddle perches are on the trailer tongue. What we DO know is that is nowhere near enough truck for the job.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #10

We used my inlaws ram 1/2 ton to pull our jayco for our first trip. The jayco specs similar to your open range. Im going to agree with the others on here. They sold you the wrong tool for the job. Did you tell them what youd be towing? If they sold you that truck knowing what youd be towing id be talking to the sales manager to get a good trade in because if they knew, they screwed you hard.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
We used my inlaws ram 1/2 ton to pull our jayco for our first trip. The jayco specs similar to your open range. Im going to agree with the others on here. They sold you the wrong tool for the job. Did you tell them what youd be towing? If they sold you that truck knowing what youd be towing id be talking to the sales manager to get a good trade in because if they knew, they screwed you hard.
I guess I'm missing something 2020 Chevy 1500 5.3 with the max tow package. Is rated 11300# trailer with 1250# tw and 16800gcwr I'm not even there now with them numbers there's enough truck
Old 11-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #12

Quote:
I guess I'm missing something 2020 Chevy 1500 5.3 with the max tow package. Is rated 11300# trailer with 1250# tw and 16800gcwr I'm not even there now with them numbers there's enough truck
Whats your rawr? Is it the 4150 im seeing a bunch of in google search? If youve got 1250 tongue weight whats your rear axle weight?

There are a bunch of threads on here about figuring out how much weight is on what axles. Id guess youre probably pretty close to your rawr.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:

Post up all the numbers from the white sticker on the door jamb. All those numbers get smaller with everything else loaded in the cab/bed, including passengers, luggage, cargo...

You MIGHT be technically within specs for towing that trailer, but that's not a place I like to be with my family on the road at 70mph. I tow a lighter 29' trailer with my Powerstroke F250 and on windy days even I'm getting pushed around.
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess I'm missing something.
Yes. You keep ignoring the facts I pointed out in post #2 above.

With a travel trailer (TT) or fifth wheel RV trailer, you will run out of payload capacity long before you get close to the GCWR or tow rating

Quote:
Is rated 11300# trailer …
That's the tow rating, which is GCWR minus the curb weight of the truck when it left the assembly line. The real-world max trailer weight you can tow without exceeding any of GM's weight limits is a lot less than the tow rating.

Quote:
...16800 gcwr
GCWR is the gross combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer. If you read the fine print in your owner's guide or towing guide, you'll see lots of fine print. The fine print explains that you should NEVER exceed GCWR, GVWR, or GAWRs of your Chevy.

You will probably exceed the GVWR first. GVWR minus the curb weight of the tow vehicle = max payload capacity, so you will read that you should never exceed the payload capacity of your Chevy.

But all of that is academic until you weigh the wet and loaded tow vehicle. "Wet" means full of gas (and all other fluids used by your truck). "Loaded" means everybody and everything that will be in it when towing. Subtract the wet and loaded weight of the truck from the GVWR and the answer is payload capacity available for hitch weight. Subtract 100 pounds from the payload capacity available for hitch weight to get payload capacity available for tongue weight (TW). Divide the payload capacity available for TW by 13% and the answer is real-world max travel trailer weight with average TW you an tow without being overloaded.

Guaranteed, your real-world max travel trailer weight with average TW you can tow without being overloaded will be a lot less than 11,300 pounds.

Quote:
I'm not even there now with them numbers there's enough truck
No, you probably don't have enough truck to tow a TT that weighs 11,000 pounds without being overloaded. Weigh the wet and loaded truck as explained above, then do the math, and you'll see for yourself.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote