Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #1

Equalizer hitch and sway bar.

Hello,

I have a buddy that just bought a new truck and rv trailer. It came with an equalizer hitch and sway bar but he doesn't want to use it because the dealer told him he couldn't back up with the equipment installed.

I just don't think this is correct..any truth to it?

thanks
Larry
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #2

If he has one of these: Equal-i-zer® Hitch - Product Info then backing up is no problem and nothing needs to be done to do so.
I have it and easy as could be with great towing.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #3

The friction style devices need to be loosened before backing. They don't need to be removed.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
Hello,

I have a buddy that just bought a new truck and rv trailer. It came with an equalizer hitch and sway bar but he doesn't want to use it because the dealer told him he couldn't back up with the equipment installed.

I just don't think this is correct..any truth to it?

thanks
Larry
Wow! And all this time I thought that I couldn't back up because I was just a poor driver.....
Some sway controls may need to have their tension reduced, but all that I have used allow backing the rig up without issue or complication.
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the hitch is properly installed and set up, you can back up with the hitch attached. I have seen poorly installed/set up hitches which can cause a problem backing up.

I suggest that your friend get the instructions on line for their hitch and read how to install and set it up.

How big is the trailer? You can safely use a friction type sway control up to about 25' or 26'. Beyond that I would use a hitch like a Reese Dual Cam with the integral sway control.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #6

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to see what he has, but at least now I know what to do.

I know he has a chain type equalizer in that he said he is suppose to use the fourth length, but I don't know which sway type, probably the metal compression type.

thanks again
Larry
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #7

re: "Wow! And all this time I thought that I couldn't back up because I was just a poor driver..... " -- you can be a bad driver and still back up but the problem is the same as going forward: you can't really tell where the rig will end up or what will happen.

Generally, the only time you need to worry about any hitch is when you get into tight situations with very sharp turns or significant bumps or ditches to worry about - going forwards or backwards.

You do need to keep in mind that trees will attack your rig if given the chance and a trailer often follows a different path than its tow vehicle so it can get intimate with curbs or other things close to the side of your path.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote