Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #1

Equalizer WDH bars are squeaky and creaky!!! Grease?

TV: 2014 Chevy 1/2 T CCSB
TT: 2015 Jayco White Hawk 2810

When I turn and the angle of the TV and TT change the bars on the hitch CREEEEEK!!!!

Question: I know these bars use friction for the antisway control. Can I add just touch of grease to the L brackets to minimize the creaking without lowering the anitsway control?

Thank you!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Wifey was certainly surprised the first time I turned while using a WD/Sway control hitch, haha. They do tend to draw some attention in town...

I'm not sure what kind of WD hitch you have, but Equalizer makes some plastic bushings for theirs. I never tried them personally, but the addition is supposed to help significantly. The problem with grease is it will be messy! People do it though.

I ended up just getting a fifth-wheel. Solved the problem.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

"I ended up just getting a fifth-wheel. Solved the problem."

That's one way to fix it. However that is not in my cards.

I looked in the book. It says to lube the joints at the hitch. It doesn't say with what. Grease, spray lube?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #4

The only place you can grease on you sway system is the balls on the hitch and trailer tongue. Not knowing what type of WD bars you have but I'll take s shot at it with the basic round/ flat spring bars with chains on the end.. You can apply grease to the round ends that go up into your hitch also don't forget to apply some to you hitch ball. If that doesn't solve your creeeking it's just yours chains on your WD bars.
Enjoy and happy tails
Old 08-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #5

Do you have an actual Equal-i-zer WDH with the sway control bars and no chains? (A lot of people refer to WDH as equalizer hitches. Kinda like calling all small bandages "BandAids.")

If you do have the Equalizer brand, look into the spacer I mentioned before and pasted below. There is also lubricant listed as an item frequently purchased with the spacers, so that might be what you'll want if you decide you need it. Like I said before, I don't personally have experience with the kit, but there a lot of reviews with high marks praising the noise reduction.

http://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-95...qualizer+hitch

And again, the lube has the potential to make things messy. Before I ever hooked up to the new fiver the first thing I bought was one of those Teflon plate thingies to minimize how much exposed grease I have to deal with.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #6

Any time you have metal on metal under load, grease should be involved... unless you are trying to reduce speed or stop sway via friction.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The creaking sound is the friction of the spring bars on their holders while turning. Greasing this area will risk reducing or eliminating the sway control of the system. I wouldn't do it.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
The creaking sound is the friction of the spring bars on their holders while turning. Greasing this area will risk reducing or eliminating the sway control of the system. I wouldn't do it.

My thought exactly.

Again, I actually got the manual out and checked on this.

"Noise:
In some cases the friction on the L-brackets or sockets also generates
noise. This most commonly occurs during slow, tight turns where the tow vehicle and trailer are in a twist. This noise is normal and should be ex- pected. It is an indication that there is friction on the L-bracket and sockets. Most of the noise will usually subside after a few uses as the hitch breaks in. Trailer and tow vehicle loading may also influence hitch noise.
Lubricating the socket joint may help reduce this noise, and is part of the required regular maintenance routine. Lubricating the L-bracket joint is optional. A better solution is a set of official Equal-i-zer brand Sway Brack- et Jackets. They quiet the ride without the mess of using a lubricant."

2014 Chevy 1/2 T CCSB
2015 Jayco White Hawk 2810 DSBH
Old 08-09-2015, 07:39 AM   #9

Assuming u are using an equilizer brand hitch... I use hitch grease made by lubrimatic on the ball and on the underside of the head where the bar sockets pivot /slide against the head. In the L brackets the bars sit on, I haven't gotten around to getting the plastic pieces so I usually just spray some WD40 on the brackets before putting the bars on. This last trip I put a little hitch grease on them instead of the WD40 and it worked great and I still had great sway control.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't think anyone can say they have great sway control unless they know they had a sway problem in the first place, and their sway control system reduced or eliminated it after they started using one. It is entirely likely that many folks tow a trailer and never have a sway problem, and reducing or eliminating the friction in their friction sway control system makes no changes to a problem that they don't have.

On the other hand, reducing or eliminating the friction on a friction sway control system will not help you if you have or develop a sway problem.

As long as you understand that effectively bypassing a safety system on a vehicle product could expose you to more liability and you are responsible for the results of any problems you encounter, and are willing to take care of your responsibility if there is an issue, than I really don't think anyone can tell you "no, you absolutely should not do it." That is what insurance is for, isn't it?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #11

Sometimes people just forget to keep things clean. At least once a year wipe down the bars and repaint any rusty spots. Same for the brackets--and use a t-level to align and keep surface of brackets reasonable aligned. While the head of the hitch and bar ends should be slightly lubricated, it's usually not a good idea to grease friction surfaces per most hitch manuals, but do use the nylon sway bracket jackets. Noise is inherent with these types of hitches, but it can be minimized.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:18 AM   #12

Equalizer says you can grease the L brackets of the generation 1 hitches, but warns there may be a slight degradation in sway control. I can't find the exact page, but I read it just the other day. They say not to do this on the Equalizer II. They seem to be pushing the L bracket boot more lately, so I can only assume they'd rather you use the boot versus grease anyway, it's really really messy hitching up the bars with grease.

On my 2000 mile trip last year I opted to grease them while on the road, and it helped tremendously, and I hadn't noticed much away control loss on my 37' trailer. But everyone has a different scenario, only way to know is try, but if you're not in a hurry, just get the boots and check your L bracket adjustments.

They do recommend greasing the hitch ball and bar sockets. If you're seeing a lot of metal wear in the area the sockets slide on the hitch, you likely need to drop your L brackets down a notch and add a washer to the hitch if you can. That should help quiet it down.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #13

Update: I used some slide out line on the pivot points where the bars mount to the receiver on the hitch. No more creaking!! I thought it's in the l brackets...not so.

2014 Chevy 1/2 T CCSB
2015 Jayco White Hawk 2810 DSBH
Old 08-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm happy you figured out an easy fix to your problem.