Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
ever see a pin box failure like this?

This happened to someone I know. He is not to happy right now. I'm sure he can find a pin box and be back on the road in a day.

I have NEVER seen one do this.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Goose Neck adapter put undue stress on the normal 5th wheel plate. The 5er king pin and plate were designed for a normal horizontal force. The GN adapter puts a moment arm on the plate.

Prime example of why not to use a GN adapter.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #3

I would suggest your friend pull overhang cover panel and closely inspect the pin box mount structure for torn cross members/broken welds etc.

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

There is a reason , why most fifth wheel manufacturers , will void the frame warranty if those, GN adapters are used.

Old-Biscuits, photos are the proof.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #5

Yes, seen this a lot. Also structure in upper pin area broken. Those ball extensions should be illegal
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:11 AM   #6

Take a look at a big horse trailer with living quarters if you want to use a gooseneck. Look at the vertical hitch point supports. You will see huge thick pieces of triangle metal either welded or bolted to support the gooseneck. At least that is what I see when i.look at my friends 40' horse trailer with living quarters.

I like how solid horse trailers are built. I thought about buying one and tear out the horse stalls and try to make the living area the whole trailer. The way my friends trailer is the horse get more room than the humans...humm, maybe that is why I do not have a horse.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #7

The steel in the pin box looks pretty thin. Another example of cheap parts being sold that won't hold up. There is no rocket science to using a GN adapter. The problem is with the cheap poorly constructed boxes that can't take the stress. They should be able to for safety reasons.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:12 AM   #8

KZ RV Club
My question is what is the advantage to a goose neck ball hitch? It looks like a really poor idea to me.
3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
The steel in the pin box looks pretty thin. Another example of cheap parts being sold that won't hold up. There is no rocket science to using a GN adapter. The problem is with the cheap poorly constructed boxes that can't take the stress. They should be able to for safety reasons.
The manufacturer builds the camper with a standard pin box to mate to a 5th wheel hitch. You modify it and install an adapter. It fails and you blame camper for not putting steel in for your modifications.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #10

That's why I paid good money for the B&W companion 5th wheel hitch instead of a less expensive gooseneck
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #11

I've never seen a photo, but it sure looks like the gooseneck adapter put too much leverage on a pin box not designed for it. Some mfgrs. will void frame warranties if an adapter is used. Also agree, the frame attachment points need to be inspected, stat.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #12

Quote:
There have been only 3 manufacturers of pin boxes, Lippert, Leland and Young's and each have a few standard sizes that are used by the vast majority of all the fivers on the market. So, if one is cheaply made, then many, many are cheaply made. Which also means many, many fivers are NOT really suited for a GN adapter apparently. Since the pin box manufacturers have no way of knowing which owner is going to add a GN adapter, why don't the GN adapter suppliers ship better built pin boxes with every GN adapter they sell?? That way the rest of us don't have to pay extra for a heaver pin box we don't need.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Goose Neck adapter put undue stress on the normal 5th wheel plate. The 5er king pin and plate were designed for a normal horizontal force. The GN adapter puts a moment arm on the plate.

Prime example of why not to use a GN adapter.

Ken
X2 - although this is the first I have heard of the box breaking. There is lots I have not heard about.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
If you want a goose neck purchase a trailer with a goose neck. The 5 wheel will last for years and provide good service if used properly and not abused. Attaching an adapter is obvious abuse.

Looks like the only damage is to the pin box. Lucky it did not completely fail and do a bunch of damage to the truck.

Wonder if the adapter folks will cover the damage. I imagine the salesman said using the adapter was OK.