Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2012, 02:36 AM   #1

Excellent price for a New Ram over a GM or Ford Product.

Why cann't Ford or GM match or bet this New Dodge Ram price?

Ford and GM dealer wants 35,000 for a new 2012 dually one ton truck with nothing on it. Bare bones, no 4x4, no crew cab, no diesel. Only gas engine. I found a 2012 new Dodge Ram with diesel engine, crew cab,4x4, pw,pl,pm, trailer tow mirrors, etc for 32,000 from a Dodge dealer. Never owned a Dodge product till now. In the past alway bought GM and Ford.
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 02:58 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post

Ford and GM dealer wants 35,000 for a new 2012 dually one ton truck with nothing on it. Bare bones, no 4x4, no crew cab, no diesel. Only gas engine. I found a 2012 new Dodge Ram with diesel engine , crew cab, 4x4, PW,PL,PM, trailer tow mirrors, etc for 32,000 from a Dodge dealer. Never owned a Dodge product till now. In the past alway bought GM and Ford.
I just looked at a 2012 dodge like that on thier website and it said the base price was $38,220 for a crew cab diesel.

the general consensus is that both GM and Ford make fine trucks.
And the Best engine comes wrapped in a Dodge. that is the just the way a lot of people feel about it.
I happen to be a Ford Fan. Why in the world they had to make that new 6.7L diesel a V8 is a mystery. Inline sixes fit engine bays better I think.

None of the currently sold trucks would I keep a day after the warrenty expires.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
the general consensus is that both GM and Ford make fine trucks.
And the Best engine comes wrapped in a Dodge. that is the just the way a lot of people feel about it.
I would only suggest that those who feel that way owe it to themselves to drive one of the 4th Generation (2010 and later) Dodge trucks.

Personally, I don't know that I'd want to own ANY of the 2010-emissions trucks without extended warranty coverage. Having said that, our 2+ year old Dodge (delivered 9/11/10) has never been to the shop for anything other than routine service, but neither had our 2002 Dodge/Cummins....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #4

THE OLD Dodge trucks were always ugly But they always ran. The new ones are a decent looking vehicle and perform well. Change of ownership can make a lot of difference. Cheers Gerald
Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #5

I to was always a GM person. My step dad was always a Ford person. But after hearing his problems and my step brothers problems with Ford. He talked me in to looking at Ram 2500. The GM trucks were almost 15k more than Dodge. I love my new 2500 CTD. It rides well for a HD truck. I don't think you can go wrong with a Cummins plus the interior is great.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #6

Ram makes a real nice HD truck now. So do Chevy and Ford. I looked at them all and liked them all. Would love to have the Ram Box with the Ford old man tail gate step with the new Chevy frame. The Ram provides the most bang for the buck has the best tested engine, and now has the best interior. The problem with the Ram and Chrysler products in general is they depreciate the most. But that makes them an even better used purchase. I like the Ram.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Ram makes a real nice HD truck now. So do Chevy and Ford. I looked at them all and liked them all. Would love to have the Ram Box with the Ford old man tail gate step with the new Chevy frame. The Ram provides the most bang for the buck has the best tested engine, and now has the best interior. The problem with the Ram and Chrysler products in general is they depreciate the most. But that makes them an even better used purchase. I like the Ram.
I've been told that Chrysler depreciates more then Ford and GM. In the past didn't Chrysler have electric problems with wiring and etc?

Thanks, Bob
Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

During a Safari FMCA rally in Columbus, Indiana, we toured the Cummins plant where the 6.7L Diesels are assembled. The plant is dedicated to engines for Dodge trucks. The engine block is cast in Brazil and sent to Columbus for machining and assembly. The completed engines are then sent to the plant in Mexico where the trucks are built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
...And the Best engine comes wrapped in a Dodge. that is the just the way a lot of people feel about it....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I've been told that Chrysler depreciates more then Ford and GM. In the past didn't Chrysler have electric problems with wiring and etc?

Thanks, Bob
You might want to compare the resale value as a percentage of original MSRP of, let's say, a 2004 5.9L Cummins-powered Ram and a 6.0L Powerstroke-equipped Ford.

I've not experienced electrical wiring problems with my 1996, 2002 or 2011 Rams. I'm not aware of electrical systems being a chronic problem.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:

Ford and GM dealer wants 35,000 for a new 2012 dually one ton truck with nothing on it. Bare bones, no 4x4, no crew cab, no diesel. Only gas engine. I found a 2012 new Dodge Ram with diesel engine, crew cab,4x4, pw,pl,pm, trailer tow mirrors, etc for 32,000 from a Dodge dealer. Never owned a Dodge product till now. In the past alway bought GM and Ford.
Found out from dealer this truck has a manual transmission and the price is not 32400 but 45,000 because the ad is wrong. The 32400 price is for a 3/4 ton truck.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
OOPS

I'm SURE that was an honest mistake .......

no bait and switch even theoretically possible !!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #12

You found an unusually good deal for unknown reasons. Obviously that is not the usual price but for some reason the dealer wants to get rid of it in a hurry. If it is truly new with no miles to speak of on the odometer then snap it up.

I bought a loaded Chevy diesel last year for $42k which was $10k less than a comparable new Ford or Ram diesel truck at the time. I drove 125 miles to sign the paperwork and buy the truck and I drove past a dozen truck dealers on the way to get this deal.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #13

The sales woman said I need to hurry and get there because they are selling duallys like hot cakes. The ad is at least two weeks old.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #14

So the ACTUAL great deal on a Dodge over a Ford/GM was for a MANUAL transmission and was $45K, not $32400. No fine print in the ad?

Your original post caused me to go to Edmunds.com and check out base 3/4 ton diesels w/auto--$44.9 Chev; $45.5 for Ford; $40.8 for Dodge.
I don't know anything about how the base trucks are individually equipped as to standard items on one model vs options on another.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford