Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #1

Exhaust brake

Just bought a 2014 ram 3500 drw crew cab with the 6.7, aisen tranny, 4:10 gears...as you all know it comes with an exhaust brake..question is since it is my daily driver do any of yall out there run with the exhaust brake on when not pulling? Is this a good practice or not? And why?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sure you can use it, it is used to slow your truck with a result of saving on your truck's brakes........Big trucks(semi's) use theirs even when bobtailing without a trailer for the same reason, it is there , use it. You are going to be surprised how little braking is needed when using your engine brake.......you will love it when you get use to it. Safe travels to ya.......

Old 01-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #3

I have a 2011 Chevy 2500HD Duromax. It too, is my daily driver. I leave my exhaust brake on all the time, except when I forget to turn it on. I defaults to off.

The only drawback that I can imagine, would be a reduction in fuel mileage. However, if there is a reduction, it is so small that I have been unable to see it.

On the other hand keeping on should extend the life of the brake pads.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #4

That is what I was thinking didn't buy that heavy of a truck for the milage. ..lol....I am on the highway a lot since I live out in the country so the saving of brake pads appeals to me
Old 01-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Why would there be a reduction in fuel mileage? No fuel is going into the cylinder's when engine braking is operating.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The only precaution is to remind everyone with an exhaust brake that using it without using your brake pedal does *not* illuminate the vehicle brake lights. This could raise the possibility of being involved in a crash where the vehicle behind you doesn't know you are slowing down. Yes, it would be the other vehicle's fault for causing the crash, but it could have been easier to avoid a crash in the first place. At least tap the brake pedal enough to illuminate the brake lights some as you are slowing down.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Why would there be a reduction in fuel mileage? No fuel is going into the cylinder's when engine braking is operating.
Some types of exhaust brakes reduce the ability of the vehicle to coast when you lift your foot from the accelerator. That would cause at leas some increase of overall fuel consumption.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #8

I use it most of the time. In tow haul mode, be aware, the downshifting can be a bit abrupt, so I shut tow haul off on most downhills preferring to do the downshifting myself.

On long wide-open downhills, I shut off the EB, and let the rig drift. It can cause drive tires to lock on ice, probably mentioned in your owner's manual. I think you will enjoy it. I wouldn't own a diesel pickup without one. Enjoy that new truck.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
The only precaution is to remind everyone with an exhaust brake that using it without using your brake pedal does *not* illuminate the vehicle brake lights. This could raise the possibility of being involved in a crash where the vehicle behind you doesn't know you are slowing down. Yes, it would be the other vehicle's fault for causing the crash, but it could have been easier to avoid a crash in the first place. At least tap the brake pedal enough to illuminate the brake lights some as you are slowing down.
On my truck (and I suspect most other pickups) the exhaust is activated by stepping on the brake pedal, so that it works in conjunction with the disk brakes. I am not aware of any way to activate the exhaust brake independently.

Joel
Old 01-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Some types of exhaust brakes reduce the ability of the vehicle to coast when you lift your foot from the accelerator. That would cause at leas some increase of overall fuel consumption.
I understand what you mean now, if one is wanting to coast....just let off the pedal a little........A diesel will coast.....and sense the throttle pedal is not fully released, the throttle position is not closed, the exhaust brake will not come on. If the Dodge trucks are set up like this......try it and see. Most all diesel engine brakes are activated by a "closed throttle position", and this occurs when the throttle pedal is let off the whole way.........
Experiment a little with it, you can't hurt it.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #11

Another thing to remember,,, is you might Not want to use it on slick roads... I always turn off the "jake brake,,, yes different than yours" in my big truck on slick roads.... Other than that, I'd leave it on always.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #12

Thanks for all the responses I always learn a lot from the excellent knowledge here
Old 01-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
On my truck (and I suspect most other pickups) the exhaust is activated by stepping on the brake pedal, so that it works in conjunction with the disk brakes. I am not aware of any way to activate the exhaust brake independently.

Joel
Never suspect that everyone else's experience is exactly the same as your own. That way lies trouble. Verify, verify, verify.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #14

I push the button on right after I start my truck. The truck will warm up faster. Don't use it when the road os wet or icy. If you use it around town it will keep the rear vanes of the turbo cleaner, than if you didn't.

Mine works so well I rarely have to use the service brakes when towing. It works better towing or not if you have the tow/haul button on. It shuts off when your speed gets down somewhere around 25-30 mph, but by then you should be able to stop anyway with your brakes.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake