Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #1

I have seen a lot of ad's about this type of braking system and they all are for diesel engines (Mh & trucks). I haven't seem any for gas engines. Is this because the gas engines cannot handle the back pressure that's generated? I have a 5.9 magnum V-8 and something like this system would really help coming down a mountain grade. If someone knows the answer to this please let me know.

Thanks

1998 Dodge 3500 5.9 V-8 Magum
rayt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #2

I have seen a lot of ad's about this type of braking system and they all are for diesel engines (Mh & trucks). I haven't seem any for gas engines. Is this because the gas engines cannot handle the back pressure that's generated? I have a 5.9 magnum V-8 and something like this system would really help coming down a mountain grade. If someone knows the answer to this please let me know.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2006, 02:59 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Hello Ray, Far as I know there aren't exhaust brakes for gasoline engines but one of our sponsors is handling a "driveline retarder" for gasoline engines.

There is a thread at THIS location.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
My understanding is that exhaust brakes are not very effective on gas engines because when your foot is off the accelerator the throttle butterfly valve is closed and very little air is entering the engine. Therefore there is not much air to compress to generate a retarding force.

Diesels have no throttle butterfly valve to restrict air flow, so the diesel engine has unrestricted air flow under all throttle positions.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:46 AM   #5

I drove a 50K lb coach with a Telma Retarder
5 position and it could bring you to a stop and pull you out of your seat, BUT you MUST have a temperature gauge or you could fry it.

If you compare the $4500+labor cost to rolling your coach at the bottom of the Tioga Pass near Yosemite, if you made it down that far.

What is your life worth and that of your passengers?
If your coach can take the weight then go for it.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:52 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Good morning Ray,

One of the reasons that you see exhaust brakes aimed at the diesel market is that diesel engines essentialy have no back pressure like a gas engine. When you let up on the gas pedal the gas engine back pressure begins to slow down the vehicle. Want to slow down faster -- drop down a gear. Let up on the throttle of a diesel and the only thing slowing you down is the rolling resistance of the drive train and the tires. The factors are a little more complex -- but that's the general idea.

Old "Rule of thumb" (applies to gas engines) from when I used to live in Colorado: "Never attempt to go down a hill, in a gear higher than the lowest one it took you to go up".

PS: Just changed rigs -- need to change avatar.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:07 AM   #7

Thanks guys

Now I'm a little smarter on this subject. $4500 is a little out of my range at this time so I will sure that I come down in the same gear that I came up in. Love to trade up to a diesel but that will have to wait also. Being retired I have to watch my cash flow.

Thanks again

Old 07-17-2006, 04:29 AM   #8

Visit kennedydiesel.com and ask them your question. I seem to remember reading that an exhaust brake can be used on a gasoline engine, with modifications to both. It does not require intake air for operation, it closes off the exhaust pipe to create back-pressure on the engine. Valve springs will likely require changing to handle increased back pressure, 12 valve Cummins diesels do.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:53 PM   #9

There was a company called Mountain Tamer the made gasser exhaust brakes. I do not know if they are still in business.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #10

Diesels are much higher compression than gas engines, but the power required to push the piston up on the compression stroke is returned on the following down stroke.

Since gas engines have a throttle, their pistons are pulling against a vacuum on the intake stroke, which consumes power.

I would imagine one of the main drawbacks in trying to put an exhaust brake on a gas engine would be that gas engines operate properly in a very narrow range of fuel/air mixture, and having that much back pressure could mess up the fuel metering of the carb or injection.

Then, like someone mentioned, the throttle limits the air that comes in to the engine, so there would be less for the exhaust brake to work with, and also stock exhaust valve springs aren't designed to operate with that kind of back pressure.

Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote