Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #1

Exhaust Brake Needed?

I am planning to buy a new Palomino Puma 253-FBS 5er. First, I need to buy a truck. I have come across a 2008 Ford F250 long bed crew cab with 6.4L diesel. I am wondering if I would have to add an exhaust brake, or if it will have enough stopping power. I tend to do a lot of mountain driving

The 5er is:
total dry weight 6,910
GVWR 11,186
estimated weight 9,000
in use

Thanks,
Joel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #2

exhaust brake wouldn't hurt but have you priced them ? you might change your mind .http://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-power...FQ0DQAodOH0-2A

f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

I know what they cost. That's why I don't want one if I don't really need it.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

like I said it defiantly can not hurt !
I have an exhaust brake on my 335 pete and I use it all the time and I am never in mountains ! saves on the brakes !
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I drug my 5er across almost every mountain pass in the lower 48 without an exhaust brake, with no problem. But it weighed only 8,000 pounds. I installed an electronic exhaust brake a year or so before I sold the rig, but never towed in mountains after I installed the exhaust brake. And it's usefull only for coming down the mountain. With your 11,000-pound 5er, you'll probably need one for "coming down the mountain".

Real exhaust brakes are not available for the 6.4L diesel. I checked BD, PacBrake, USGear and Banks, and none of them have a real exhaust brake for the 6.4L.

Banks sells an "electronic" exhaust brake that works pretty good, but not nearly as good as the real exhaust brakes Banks sells for other engines. But real exhaust brakes cost almost $2,000 and that Banks jobbie was only $600 from Xtreme Diesel.

So in your shoes, I'd probably buy the Banks SpeedBrake. It works a whole lot better than nothing.
Cold Air Intake - Diesel and Gas Performance Products
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
pulling an 18K 5er with an `08 6.4l. Using tow/haul mode and cruise control, when I can, I have not found a need for an exhaust brake. Maybe just me, but I wouldn't spend the $$$.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
pulling an 18K 5er with an `08 6.4l. Using tow/haul mode and cruise control, when I can, I have not found a need for an exhaust brake. Maybe just me, but I wouldn't spend the $$$.
I suspect you have not cruised down the mountain passes of the west, such as Wolf Creek Pass, Vail Pass, or even from the Eisenhower Tunnel on Loveland Pass down to Denver on I-70. Your 6.4L with 5R110 tranny in tow-haul mode with that 18k monster pushing you down the mountain does good, but you can't come down any of those passes without using the brakes unless you have some sort of exhaust brake.

Heck, even "back east" crossing Maryland and West Virginia on I-68 got my attention, but those so-called mountains with Cumberland Pass don't compare to the real mountain passes in the Rockies.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #8

If you intend to do a lot of mountain driving then get an exhaust brake.

I have towed over Wolf creek, Teton, Monarch, trail ridge road, and many others. Most I have towed in both directions.

With my 17.5K Teton and Jeep in tow I always drive with the exhaust brake on in the high setting. I also use this setting if I am towing on flat terrain.

Even though I have a 3500 series Allison, I canít imagine coming down some of the mountains I have without an exhaust brake.
I also canít imagine towing an 18K fiver with a pickup with or without an exhaust brake!
tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I suspect you have not cruised down the mountain passes of the west, such as Wolf Creek Pass, Vail Pass, or even from the Eisenhower Tunnel on Loveland Pass down to Denver on I-70. Your 6.4L with 5R110 tranny in tow-haul mode with that 18k monster pushing you down the mountain does good, but you can't come down any of those passes without using the brakes unless you have some sort of exhaust brake.

Heck, even "back east" crossing Maryland and West Virginia on I-68 got my attention, but those so-called mountains with Cumberland Pass don't compare to the real mountain passes in the Rockies.

Smokey;

You are correct. I have not gone that far west yet. But as I said, to date I haven't needed an exhaust brake.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnance View Post
If you intend to do a lot of mountain driving then get an exhaust brake.

I have towed over Wolf creek, Teton, Monarch, trail ridge road, and many others. Most I have towed in both directions.

With my 17.5K Teton and Jeep in tow I always drive with the exhaust brake on in the high setting. I also use this setting if I am towing on flat terrain.

Even though I have a 3500 series Allison, I canít imagine coming down some of the mountains I have without an exhaust brake.
I also canít imagine towing an 18K fiver with a pickup with or without an exhaust brake!
The reason you can't image towing something that big with a PU is you have used a bigger truck and many others haven't. I have been there there also only on a smaller scale. I have also experienced that with bigger trucks but used for much different purposes. Back in the 70s I bought a F750 (because it was only $500 more than the F600 that I thought was pleny for the job). Others were using 350 & 450. The guys that had the smaller trucks asked why I bought such a big truck. Their trucks were being repaired all the time, my wasn't. The guy that had the 450 used my truck a short time while his was being repaired. He wanted to know exactly what I had and he went and bought a Chev just like it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
Smokey;

You are correct. I have not gone that far west yet. But as I said, to date I haven't needed an exhaust brake.
Actually, I have traveled through out the West, with almost the exact set up as you have K-Star (even the 4:88 gears). I have been down wolf creek--loveland--up thru Canada and Alaska, and down some good grades in the Maritimes. I have not found the need for an exhaust brake using the tow-haul, and using what I believe is good technique when going down. Keep it slow from the beginning of the down grade, and just use a tap on the brakes as needed when it starts to speed up.

I bought the truck new, have 90000 miles on it currently, and had to replace the radiator at about 19000 miles. Not one other thing besides maintenance. I had the brakes checked again last week while tires were being replaced, and they have about 40% left. (They were at 50% right before we crossed into Canada last spring to spend spring and summer traveling through Alaska)

So, I certainly don't think an exhaust brake is a bad thing. But from personnel experience, I would have to say I not felt the need.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #12

Thanks for all the help.

When I initially asked, I was considering a truck for which no exhaust was available. I am now looking at different options. I think I will try without an exhaust brake, and then add one if I find that it is needed.

Joel

Tags
brake