Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #1

Hi,
Who here uses an Exhaust Brake?
We are looking at a Banks set up.
With the Brake, smart lock and trans command.
Cheapest price I've found is with shopdiesel.com
at about $1850 for all 3 items.......

Can we do this install ourselves - or best to
take it to a shop?

We live in So. FL but we plan to go the GA and NC mountains end of July.

Think our set up needs this?

Jo

Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #2

Hi,
Who here uses an Exhaust Brake?
We are looking at a Banks set up.
With the Brake, smart lock and trans command.
Cheapest price I've found is with shopdiesel.com
at about $1850 for all 3 items.......

Can we do this install ourselves - or best to
take it to a shop?

We live in So. FL but we plan to go the GA and NC mountains end of July.

Think our set up needs this?

Jo

Old 05-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I don't have one now but the two previous trucks I had, both Ford Powerstrokes with the 7.3 diesel, had US Gear exhaust brakes. I was very pleased with the first one, the second one required servicing a couple times to lubricate the valve.

Unless you're mechanically inclined and comfortable with doing exhaust work, I'd suggest having a competent dealer install it for you.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I had a Banks Brake on my 2002 Duramax and loved it... well that is, when it was working. Twice it quit on me, and once it actually stuck shut (which Banks says can't happen based on how it's built, but it DID happen). The last time it quite, I didn't bother getting it fixed, not only because I was tired of fixing it, but also because I had sold the 5th wheel and gotten into a motorhome, so didn't really need it any more. I can't say much about installation, I had it installed at Banks. I definately recommend an exhaust brake, but if it were me I might look hard at PacBrake before getting a Banks Brake again. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #5

AFrank1971,

Did you have the Smart Lock and the Trans Command to go along with it?

I had heard of problems if people only had the Exhaust Brake and not the other two items....

My son recommended ALL three and said there should be NO problems if we did it that way.

Thanks, JO
Old 05-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
That's a good question, and I'm afraid it was a long time ago so I can't say for sure, or even if they had some of the things you mention at that time. It was purchased directly from and installed by Banks along with a full Banks kit (Six Gun, Exhaust, etc..., I believe they're now calling it the Six Gun Bundle). I would think if there was something I should have gotten, they would have recommended it. But I'm not sure what any of that would have done to correct the particular problem that occured for me. What happend was that the actuator cylinder simlpy quit functioning. The only time you'd know it wasn't working anymore was when you started down a hill and suddenly realized you no longer have an exhaust brake. The time it stuck shut on me, the actuator stuck in the open position. I had to get under it and use pliers to avoid the hot exhaust and disconnect the actuator in order to allow the exhaust blocking valve to open, and then bailing wire it open so I could get where I was going. The old banana in the tail pipe really works, thing would barely move with that shut. Each time the actuator was replaced, so it didn't seem to be that I simply had a bad one, because I had three bad ones. I had done a lot of research ahead of time as well and really thought Banks was fool proof, but I did not have a good experience. The performance part of the system also always set off the check engine light, and occasionally made it run real rough until it would work through in about a day or two. Of course Banks said it wasn't their fault, and Chevy said hey go talk to Banks. I loved the power, and the braking (when it worked), but overall my experience with Banks was not a good one. Maybe I just have bad luck?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
CD

I have a BD exhaust brake that has worked flawlessly. I had about 50 miles on it when I had it installed. I now have about 73K. I don't have an auto tranny so don't need some of the other items mentioned. I liked the design of the BD better than Pac Brake because BD doesn't have a hole in the butterfly which made BD much more effective at lower RPM. I use it all the time, loaded or empty. I am still useing the original brakes. At 45K the service people said there was 60% left.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
ctd

I used to have a gear vendors on my dodge and it worked great, wish I could put on one on my duramax but the owners manusl says not to because of the allison trans.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:24 AM   #9

I was just about to ask if anyone at the BD Exhaust Brake. I was pointed in that direction over the weekend.

If you go to the individual websites, both says theirs is best and why. Having NO knowledge in exhaust brakes I have no idea which one to believe.

Both make good sense.

Any recommendation on why one might work better on our Ford than the other.

Such a decision and quite a bit of money.

Hate to get one then wished I'd had the other.
Also, I read on other forums that the Banks system did NOT work at well with Dodges as with Fords. Don't know about the GM products though or the Allison transmission!

Jo
Old 06-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #10

BD should be quite a bit cheaper. Sure love my Jacobs unit.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:41 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FiverBob:
Sure love my Jacobs unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
+1

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #12

It looks like DH is leaning towards the BD exhaust brake. Since we have the automatic transmission I don't know IF we need any of those other things they mention in their ads.
The exhaust brake set up is $1175.00 itself. But then they have stuff called TowLoc, or AutoLoc, or TorqLoc and I don't know which ones, IF ANY, we even need?

We Do have a Super Chips Programmer in the truck already that has a tow/haul mode.

Thanks for any future info,

Jo
Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If an exhaust brake is used with a torque converter (i.e., an automatic transmission), the torque converter must be locked to produce maximum engine braking. If the exhaust brake engages with an unlocked torque converter, the engine's retarding horsepower is used to generate heat in the automatic transmission fluid because of slip in the torque converter. So, yes, to maximize the effectiveness of an exhaust brake without overheating an automatic transmission, one of these devices must be used to ensure that the torque converter is locked when the exhaust brake is engaged.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #14

I guess I will rely on the salesman to direct us to which one we need.
I do realize that we need one of the items above,
and we want to get this ordered and start the install before our trip on July 25th!
Thanks,
Jo