RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budflaten View Post
There is no way in the world I would buy a Ford over a Toyota I donít care what the towing capacity is the maintenance on the Ford will kill you
Toyota can't tow what many fords f150s can

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #44

I read the thread and I didnít see this listed but ...... I didnít think you could flat tow a tundra? I have a 2017 and I recall looking it up somewhere and I thought it said you canít flat tow it. I believe it was Toyotaís website. They have a page that shows which of their vehicles can be flat towed and the tundra was a no go .... ?

repsolracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #45

I agree... buy American... I have had it from these people that drive a foreign car or truck then complain when GM lays-off 4000 workers or Ford lays-off 1000. They don't get it that these reduction in workers affects more down the line... think about it, does this former worker cut back on things like a hair cut or doctor Ö.. meanwhile yes your foreign car or truck might have been built in the USA but the profit goes to the home base of the company say Japan or Germany etc. Years ago I believe GM was forced to put in place a policy that barred foreign cars from their factory parking lot.... talk about biting the hand that feeds you !!!!
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #46

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Graham View Post
meanwhile yes your foreign car or truck might have been built in the USA but the profit goes to the home base
Does this mean Ram trucks are out of consideration?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Graham View Post
I agree... buy American... I have had it from these people that drive a foreign car or truck then complain when GM lays-off 4000 workers or Ford lays-off 1000. They don't get it that these reduction in workers affects more down the line... think about it, does this former worker cut back on things like a hair cut or doctor Ö.. meanwhile yes your foreign car or truck might have been built in the USA but the profit goes to the home base of the company say Japan or Germany etc. Years ago I believe GM was forced to put in place a policy that barred foreign cars from their factory parking lot.... talk about biting the hand that feeds you !!!!
So what's your opinion on RAM Trucks built in Mexico?
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Toyota can't tow what many fords f150s can
Are you sure?? Pretty sure Toyota Tundra can tow what most F150s on the dealer lot can tow. I think you need the maxtow and/or max payload options in the F150 to tow more than a 5.7 Tundra.

Rob
Calbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #49

The Sequoia was the best for us

We love the Toyota Sequoia. So luxurious and comfortable to ride. V8 standard, so much storage space. Would not go back to a truck unless i had a 5'er.
Kfeyti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #50

If you go back and read your post I think you will get Expedition. Based on what you say I would. Good luck
two6theroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #51

2 9 2019 I'm getting ready to tow my 2019 Tundra after towing my 2006 Tundra almost 50k miles w/o a problem. ARE cappers with matching paint on both so I have protection and security for contents unless someone who is not honest comes along.
2008 Camelot DP
01knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolracer2 View Post
I read the thread and I didnít see this listed but ...... I didnít think you could flat tow a tundra? I have a 2017 and I recall looking it up somewhere and I thought it said you canít flat tow it. I believe it was Toyotaís website. They have a page that shows which of their vehicles can be flat towed and the tundra was a no go .... ?
they are talking about what vehicle to tow with not to be flat towed
Old 02-10-2019, 12:14 AM   #53

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Got the Expy

I ended up with a 2016 Expedition EL. It's super quiet, but very strong. It's fun to floor it too. I'll have to not do that. That engine will knock your socks off.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #54

Regarding towing a vehicle that the owners manual explains should not be flat towed behind a motor home (as it comes from the factory). This situation is changed by the addition of a driveshaft disconnect provided by Superior Driveshaft. Costs around $1 k for the replacement driveshaft along with the control shifter that functions from inside the cab. As long as the driveshaft is not turning, the tranny stays in park and the key in the ignition. (Start the truck, turn the key off and leave it in the off position; the front steering stays loose so you can tow). Of course you need something like the Blue Ox tow bracket (available) and lights from the RV to the tail ligts of the towed vehicle. I have the auxiliary air brake from my DP to the toad as well so when I brake the RV the toad brakes at the same time proportionately.
Even the Toyota dealer where I bought my truck had never heard of these devices and asked for names for customers who do inquire. Happy Trails.
01knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Money View Post
I ended up with a 2016 Expedition EL. It's super quiet, but very strong. It's fun to floor it too. I'll have to not do that. That engine will knock your socks off.
Congratulations on the new truck! I was really impressed with Ford's build quality and all the engineering that goes into making them quiet when I bought my 2013

Best regards,
Chris

PS to those reading this thread - it started as a discussion about what vehicle to tow with. Someone caused it to take a left turn and people are chiming in about doing Flat-Tow of vehicles.
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
Wow, is the bumper opening too tight to the receiver on the bottom?

I use mine with the flat plate on the bottom, and the u-bolt across the top of the stinger. But in my year the hitch sits below the bumper, and you have the hide a hitch version.

Yep, just to tight to fit. The hitch sits high with the hide a hitch.

thetravelkids is offline   Reply With Quote