RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Member
 
T Money's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 34
Expedition or Tundra

Help me decide! I'm buying a new tow vehicle. It will also be my dd. I have an Outdoors RV Creekside 21 RD
Dry=5,000. Max=7,000.
Both the Tundra and Expedition are rated at about 10,000 lbs towing.
I like that the expedition has secure storage in the back, especially for my work things. I simply don't need a truck bed. Expedition also has a 3rd row, nice for trips with friends, which I do a several times a year. Expedition also has vented leather seats and is a comfy ride. Ecoboost 3.5 with 6 speed and 3.73 diff. Decent mpg for dd.
The Tundra is a crewmax, but no more trips with friends. Less secure storage.. More expensive. 5.7 L with 6 speed and 4.3 diff. Horrid mpg for a dd. Both vehicles are 8ish mpg when towing.
I'm buying slightly used. Expedition comes with extended warranty (75,000 miles from purchase). Tundra does not. For very little more, I could get a new Tundra SR5.

Thoughts?
__________________

__________________
2019 Outdoors RV Creekside 21RD
2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ, 5.3L
T Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 08:01 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 37
Sounds like you answered your own question. Too different vehicles. You are comparing apples and oranges.

One thing to look at is payload numbers. Sometimes suv have lower payload numbers. Also trucks handle campers better than suv. Known fact. That is not to say the expedition with max tow can not easily handle the camper. Make sure the expedition has the max tow package.
__________________

kylemcmahon1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Normal_Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 566
Thanks!

I get to post one of my all-time favorite towing write-ups written by member Off Road: "We screamed across the Rockies..."
ORV cost me $53500!!!
__________________
2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
1995 E-150 Club Wagon Chateau 5.8L (old school cool)
2012 Cargo Craft 7x16 Camper/Toy Hauler Conversion
Normal_Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 4,938
You will like the towing power of the Eco-Boost. Also I would expect the Expedition to be a bit more quiet inside. If you take more than 5 people in your vehicle then you definitely need to pick the Expedition.

I typically recommend trucks...but not in this case as long as the cargo capacity of the Expedition is high enough for everything you want to do
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 173
Check the yellow sticker, but the Expedition is likely to have a payload several hundred pounds more than the Tundra...
__________________
2013 Creekside 18CK
2018 Expedition Max FX4
shane_the_ee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
SmokeyWren's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midland County, Texas
Posts: 3,901
I'm a Toy fan. My family car is a 2018 Toy Avalon and my runabout is a 2017 Toy Corolla. But my tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford F-150.

Why?

Because the 3.5L EcoBoost drivetrain is an excellent towing drivetrain, and the Toy drivetrain is an antiquated V8. Rumor has it that Toyota will come out with an engine to compete with the 3.5l EcoBoost, but it's not yet available.
__________________
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (over 1,800 pounds payload capacity)
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
For respect to UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and our MILITARY I would choose the Ford. It is the right thing to do.



Mike
on safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
SmokeyWren's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midland County, Texas
Posts: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by on safari View Post
For respect to UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and our MILITARY I would choose the Ford.
Invalid logic. Toyota builds their half-ton pickups in San Antonio and many of their cars in Tennessee. And they have thousands of employees that are citizens of the USA.

And what does the military have to do with it? I retired from the Air Force with 30 years of active and inactive reserve service, and 20 years of working as a civilian manager for the Air Force. I spent some time working at Air Force bases in Japan. And I choose to drive Toyota cars because they are more reliable than anything built by the "big three". But I drive a Ford pickup because when I ordered my 2012 and 2019 F-150s, it was the best tow vehicle available for towing my TT.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Invalid logic. Toyota builds their half-ton pickups in San Antonio and many of their cars in Tennessee. And they have thousands of employees that are citizens of the USA.

And what does the military have to do with it? I retired from the Air Force with 30 years of active and inactive reserve service, and 20 years of working as a civilian manager for the Air Force. I spent some time working at Air Force bases in Japan. And I choose to drive Toyota cars because they are more reliable than anything built by the "big three". But I drive a Ford pickup because when I ordered my 2012 and 2019 F-150s, it was the best tow vehicle available for towing my TT.
Was going to ask the same thing. Well said Smokey

Either way, sounds like the OP knows he does not want a pick up.

To the OP, don’t look at what each truck tow (10,000 lbs), but rather the available payload. The suv usually has less payload. Good luck.
__________________
2014 Raptor 300MP, 2014 Cowboy Cadillac - Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel DRW 4.10 Rear End, 5588 Payload, Firestone Airbags, Curt Q20, TST507
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Was going to ask the same thing. Well said Smokey

Either way, sounds like the OP knows he does not want a pick up.

To the OP, don’t look at what each truck tow (10,000 lbs), but rather the available payload. The suv usually has less payload. Good luck.

Maybe some of us should review 12-7-1941 & what country you live in & were the profits go after that vehicle is sold. that is my logic.






Mike
on safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemcmahon1 View Post
Sounds like you answered your own question. Too different vehicles. You are comparing apples and oranges.

One thing to look at is payload numbers. Sometimes suv have lower payload numbers. Also trucks handle campers better than suv. Known fact. That is not to say the expedition with max tow can not easily handle the camper. Make sure the expedition has the max tow package.


Many would contest your “known fact” that trucks handle trailers better than SUVs....there are a lot of variables there that may make that statement wrong!
Lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #12
Member
 
T Money's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by on safari View Post
Maybe some of us should review 12-7-1941 & what country you live in & were the profits go after that vehicle is sold. that is my logic.



Mike
Pretty sure that score was settled. Under this logic, I'm more worried about giving money to China. China is more likely to be a future problem
__________________
2019 Outdoors RV Creekside 21RD
2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ, 5.3L
T Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #13
Member
 
T Money's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Thanks!

I get to post one of my all-time favorite towing write-ups written by member Off Road: "We screamed across the Rockies..."
ORV cost me $53500!!!

In a perfect world, I'd get a diesel Excursion. DW hates diesels though. She likes the Expedition and the Tundra though.
__________________
2019 Outdoors RV Creekside 21RD
2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ, 5.3L
T Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #14
Member
 
T Money's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 34
Thanks for all the input! My current TV is a 2007 suburban. 5.3L with 7100 towing capacity. Payload is very low. It does the job, but I live in Utah and need something that can tow the big passes. The burb seemsstruggles on steep grades. My warranty just covered a new rear diff. The burb specs say yes to towing my trailer, but reality says not quite.
__________________

__________________
2019 Outdoors RV Creekside 21RD
2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ, 5.3L
T Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fleet wood Expedition :: 2006 Fleetwood Expedition sprnt12 iRV2 Owners Registry 0 12-18-2017 11:35 AM
2016 Fleetwood Expedition 38K :: 2016 Fleetwood Expedition 38K jchantry iRV2 Owners Registry 0 12-29-2016 08:21 AM
Fleetwood Expedition :: 2013 Fleetwood Expedition Taarnac iRV2 Owners Registry 0 11-24-2016 01:39 PM
Expedition vs Expedition El dclayton Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 12 01-26-2016 11:47 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.