Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #1

Experts Help - 2008 Yukon Denali + new trailer

Hi Everyone,

I'm just too new at this, i've played with the calculators and estimated how much stuff i think i will bring, but i'm about to pull the trigger and buy my first TT so I want you guys to chime in if i'm on track.

Here is my TV:
2008 Yukon Denali
The manual says I have:
-7900 lbs tow capacity
-Axle Ratio 3.42
-GCWR 14000 lbs
-max tounge weight 600 lbs or 1000 lbs with a weight distributing hitch.
The sticker on my TV says:
-GVWR 7100lbs
-GAWR FRT 3550lbs
-GAWR RR 4100lbs
I have a "towing package"

I've narrowed it down to the following four trailers (for now)
-Rockwood 2702SS
-Rockwood 2907SS
-Shadow Cruiser S260BHS
-Shadow Cruiser S280QBS

Some side notes, I came to these trailers because when I used the calculators I felt I had to keep the trailer under 5500lbs dry weight. I have not concidered length as an issue (should I). Most of our camping is done 2 hours away on a strait double divided hwy without much up and down, however i'd like flexibility to go somewhere else if I want. I picked these trailers because the dealers claim they are Formaldehyde free which may be an issue for my son. I can't however confirm this from the manufacturer web sites. I also want vacuum bonded lamination, I know this is the case on the Rockwoods, but can't confirm on the Shaddow Cruisers.

Should I buy any of these?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #2

I had hoped one of the experts would have answered you by now but since they have not I'll do my best to answer your questions. While I don't consider myself an expert I have learned quite a bit from this & other forums as well as from about 5 years of travel trailer towing.

My first question for you is - Do you have a Yukon Denali as stated or is it the Yukon XL (note XL) Denali since the difference in vehicles is substantial?

If yours is the standard Denali - 116" wheelbase - then I believe any of the trailers you are suggesting - from 28' to 33' - would be a mismatch for your vehicle as length DOES matter.

If your vehicle is the Denali XL - 130" wheelbase - the only trailer among your choices I would even remotely consider would be the shortest, lightest one listed. Altho I looked up the specs of each trailer, at the moment I don't remember which one that would be.

What do I base my decision on? Well, I had been towing a 30', just under 6000 lb trailer (up until last week when trailer went to a new home) with an '04 Yukon XL Denali, 6.0 litre, 3:73 gears, tow package, Reese Strait-Line weight distribution hitch w/sway control. I always felt as though I was at the very limit of my Denali's capability, in it's suspension, tires & braking ability. I would have been more comfortable with a 3/4 ton Suburban or pick-up & would have opted for 4:10 gears for increased towing ability. I believe that your 3:42 gear ratio will limit your towing capability as soon as you run into any hilly terrain.

You will get very conflicting opinions from some sources as to a vehicles ability to tow. Some might say that they can tow any of your trailer selections with a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger (a certain neighbor comes to mind) while others will say that you will need a 1 ton dually diesel to do the same job.

Keep in mind that the above is only my opinion as one who has 'been there, done that'.

Finally, DO NOT - I repeat, "DO NOT" believe what the salesperson might tell you about your vehicles ability to tow.

Did I mention to not believe the salesperson? jodann

Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #3

^thanks...so how does one calculate what a reasonable length would be. The shorter floor plans leave lots to be desired :(
Old 02-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #4

Hi aceace,
Please answer the question I asked regarding if your tow vehicle is the standard Denali or the XL. Would love to know.

OK. If you were to type in "Davids rv tips" you will come up with a website that is a wealth of info for the beginner. Wheelbase vs. trailer length is discussed. You may not be too happy with the results of your search tho.

Good luck in your search. Check back in when you come to a decision or need further advice. Someone here will always be of help. jodann
Old 02-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #5

I believe I have the regular Denali. I certainly don't have XL tagged anywhere. I'll check out that website. I guess the biggest issue with length will be towing comfortability? Rather than safety or vehicle damage
Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #6

XL is the GMC Suburban--if you don't know if you have it, you don't.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
XL is the GMC Suburban--if you don't know if you have it, you don't.
Joe
wingnut60 is correct ! Also, if you don't have YUKON XL in 1 1/2" chrome letters on your tailgate you can be reasonably assured that you are driving the shorter (116" wheelbase) Denali.

Now, I don't want to appear as tho I'm beating up on you but I will go out on a limb & say that, being a newby, and from reading your posts, you will wind up buying a trailer that is unsuitable (too long, too heavy) for your tow vehicle. Many new to the trailer towing experience - and I count MYSELF as one of those - make that mistake. The Denali & my Denali XL make wonderful people movers but they are just so-so as tow vehicles, especially when they are at their limit in towing capability. I know, I have one !!!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #8

I certainly think I've got the weight down, but this length thing has certainly thrown me a curve ball.

Does trailer design help you get a longer trailer (low profile, aerodynamic, etc)?

...I though buying a TT was going to be such a great idea...now I'm looking at potentially a new tow vehicle :S
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
CD

sceace
I am going to put it in a different perspective. Have you ever carried a 4X8 sheat of plywood out in the open when the wind is blowing? ( not hard) The plywood is hard to control isn't it. A TT with a small TV is much the same. If you are willing to tow at 35/40mph, you may get by. If you want to travel with the other traffic it will be a whole other story. You need the longer wheel base, more weight and more rubber on the road, stiffer suspension, etc.for control.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceace View Post
Here is my TV:
2008 Yukon Denali
The manual says I have:
-7900 lbs tow capacity
That's somebody's wet dream. That tow vehicle (TV) can tow a 7,900 pound TT only if it has no options and there is absolutely nothing in the TV but a skinny driver.

Quote:
-GCWR 14000 lbs
That's one of the numbers you need. The other is the GVWR of the TV. Plus you also need the wet and loaded weight of the TV.

Load the TV with everything that will be in it when towing: people, pets, tools, jack(s), stuff, and the shank/ball mount of your weight-distributing hitch. Go to a truckstop that has a CAT scale and fill up with gas. Then weigh the wet and loaded TV - including driver and passengers.

Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded TV from the GCWR and the answer is the most GVWR of any trailer you want to consider.

Use the GVWR of the trailer as the wet and loaded weight of the trailer. Trying to estimate the amount of stuff you will haul in the trailer is an exercise in futility. You'll underestimate every time. So use the GVWR of the trailer and hope you have enough common sense to not overload the trailer.

Quote:
The sticker on my TV says:
-GVWR 7100lbs
That's the other number you need to be concerned about. Most SUVs cannot haul nearly the weight of the trailer in the tow rating because they run out of payload capacity for hitch weight. So use that CAT scale ticket you got above and subtract the weight of the wet and loaded TV from the GVWR of the TV. The answer is the max hitch weight you can have without being overloaded. Divide that max hitch weight by 12 percent to determine the GVWR of any properly-loaded trailer you can tow without being overloaded over the GVWR of the TV.

Quote:
I've narrowed it down to the following four trailers (for now)
-Rockwood 2702SS
That's the lightest of the 4, with a GVWR of 6594. So wet and loaded trailer will weigh about 6,600 pounds with about 800 pounds hitch weight. Can you tow that much trailer or haul that much hitch weight without exceeding the GCWR or GVWR of the TV?

Quote:
Should I buy any of these?
Nobody can give you an intellgent answer until after you weigh the wet and loaded TV.

But even if trailer weight is not a problem, because of trailer length you should probably limit trailer box length (not including hitch length) to the more common 24' instead of the 28' to 30' you're considering. Or else get a bigger tow vehicle to match the trailer size.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #11

OFF THE SUBJECT---

Smokey,
How is the EB 150 doing for you so far?

Joe
Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How is the EB 150 doing for you so far?
It's a wonderful grocery getter. I haven't towed with it except the 20 miles to bring the new Joey196S home from the RV store, but that few miles with an empty RV trailer indicates it's going to be a wonderful tow vehicle also.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #13

Does it have the 'max' towing or the normal towing package? Been some discussion about the differences.
Sounds like the best of both worlds--quite a change from Sierra Blanca, eh?
Joe
Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Does it have the 'max' towing or the normal towing package?
Normal. Max requires 3.73 axle ratio, and I wanted longer legs for unloaded MPG. So I have the 3.15 axle rated to tow 8,000 pounds instead of 11,000 pounds of the max tow pkg. And I had to add the tow mirrors because they are available from the factory only as part of the max tow pkg.

Quote:
Sounds like the best of both worlds--quite a change from Sierra Blanca, eh?
Huge change in amenities, but mostly because of going from XLT too Lariat Plus. Darling Wife loves the way the Sync BlueTooth works with her IPhone.

So far, the SuperCrew seems too be as roomy as the CrewCab. The stock ride of the SuperCrew is no better than the diesel with Bilstein shocks, except maybe a bit quieter tires.

So far the unloaded MPG is disappointing - about 15 MPG - about the same as Sierra Blanca. And the 20 miles of towing the small TT indicates it won't get nearly as good MPG towing as the diesel did. But those are first impressions. We haven't been out of town with it yet.