Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Blended diesel, that is diesel with bio diesel mixed in it will cost a little less. Biodiesel has less "power" in it than 100% petroleum diesel and possibly less MPG. Most regular stations sell blended diesel and it won't hurt your diesel. This info is from a friend that sells diesel wholesale. 76 and Chevron are good ones but I just go to ones that sell lots of diesel.
In "my" book, biodiesel is junk... On our trip out west we got 'stuck' into using it a few times. The mileage dropped almost 2mpg ... And where we were it was no cheaper in price. grrrrrrrr Not going to fight about research numbers somebody finds on google. These were actual numbers in "our" truck . Might vary in yours....
Monkey

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #16
IC2

On our current trip I have paid diesel fuel prices from a low of 2.05/gallon(West Virginia) to $2.68 (PA) and all at smaller stations. Loves, T/A, Pilot Flying J have all gotten greedy with their pricing from .10 to .30 more per gallon. It really irks me to see a sticker on a pump (the only Love's I have used thus far) that said it had 5-20% bio crud - it must have been 20% or more as I lost almost 3 mpg on that tank. Why do these companies charge more - simple - they can and do and our trucker friends have to pay the tariff which of course reflects in cost of transportation and is paseds on to the consumers - all of us in the cost of goods and services (Economics 101 which I recall all too well)

Old 09-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #17

Having been in the trucking business for too many years I can tell you the fleets do not usually pay the posted price. They buy millions of gallons annually and negotiate prices based on how much they buy. And if they are involved in interstate commerce they must file documents with each state they transit so they pay fuel taxes to each of those states no matter where they fueled up last. It is a huge buracracy requiring otr drivers to maintain detailed logs, etc. Currently most fleets have moved to electronic gps based reporting which cts down on the paperwork.
Be thankful that diesel powered rv's don't have to deal with this stuff.........yet☺
Stevie3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #18

I prefer to stay away from the big truck stops. We try to stay off the interstates much of the time and I have found that there are many fueling stations that cater to the local diesel traffic. Truck pumps to the side on in the rear easy in easy out and better pricing than along the interstates. Of course I don't wait till I need fuel but me or the DW need to dump our tanks, too much coffee.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #19
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie3508 View Post
Having been in the trucking business for too many years I can tell you the fleets do not usually pay the posted price. They buy millions of gallons annually and negotiate prices based on how much they buy. And if they are involved in interstate commerce they must file documents with each state they transit so they pay fuel taxes to each of those states no matter where they fueled up last. It is a huge buracracy requiring otr drivers to maintain detailed logs, etc. Currently most fleets have moved to electronic gps based reporting which cts down on the paperwork.
Be thankful that diesel powered rv's don't have to deal with this stuff.........yet☺
Not all carriers are fleet. Unfortunately there are a heckuva of a lot of independents with a couple tractors and a few trailers which barely survive on LTL that get stuck with the high end pricing.

Many if not most truck stops mean noise, confusion, cruddy physical plant conditions, lot lizards, personal danger and high pricing in the retail stores as well as the gouging pump prices.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:42 PM   #20

Diesel $1.95 today in Dallas at Walmart/Murphy Gas. I have the Pilot/Flying J credit card to get 9 a gallon discount but I`ve never seen even one time when Gas Buddy showed that as a low price even if I subtracted the 9. For me, Pilot J is a last resort on the interstate.
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags;Andersen Ultimate Alum. 5erhitch w/Curt 4" offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6000# Dexters;CRE3000 w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 RearCam;King Dish Tailgater
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #21

Ditto on that...

'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel