Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #1

Explorer/Mountaineer towing

So lets assume that properly equipped, a Mountaineer can pull 7500lbs. What is a safe length? There are plenty of trailers under 5000lbs dry, but they all seem to be pretty long, at least for the bunkhouses we've seen. (I'm helping a friend do some research)

Thanks
Jhawk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #2

back in the early 90's, I towed a 27 ft dutchman with a S-10 V6 blazer. I never had a problem but I knew I had a load behind me.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #3

We have a 2009 Explorer 4.0L, 4x4, towing package it is rated at 5400 lbs I believe. We traded our pop up in for a Trail Lite 7270s. A 27' bunk house that dry weighed about 4120 lbs. I know we were close to the max with the setup and were mindful of what we packed. With the standard wd and sway control it was a white knuckle drive. We towed twice before we bought a Hensley hitch which helped dramatically. I was however still not confident in the Explorers ability to hold that TT still so we ended up Buying a new Silverado crew cab. In other words I don't find the Explorer to be adequate for large TT as there is too much surface area for wind to push against.
scottyJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I would keep a trailer down to about 24 to 25' max length with an Exploder...or the twin Mutineer.

There is just not enough truck and suspension to handle anything larger.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawk44 View Post
So lets assume that properly equipped, a Mountaineer can pull 7500lbs.
Bad assumption. You didn't give a model year, so I'll pick 2010. 2010 Explorer/Mountaineer factory tow ratings depend on engine, drivetrain (4x2, 4x4, or AWD), axle ratio (3.55 or 3.73), with or without auxiliary AC, and hitch (Class II or Class III/IV).

If "properly equipped" means 4.0L engine with 3.73 axle ratio, and class III/IV hitch, then the GCWR is 10,000 pounds and the "tow rating" varies from 5,000 to 5,375. (Deduct 500 pounds if it has rear AC). With V8 engine and 4x4 or AWD, the GCWR is 12,000 pounds, and the tow rating goes up to a hair over 7,000 pounds (7,040 or 7,115). And again, deduct 500 pounds if it has rear AC. So nowhere near 7,500.

But tow rating is misleading. It assumes absolutely nothing is in the SUV expect a skinny driver. No passengers, pets, tools, spares, luggage, nothing.

To get a better estimate of the real world tow rating, you need the weight of the wet and loaded SUV, including driver, passengers, pets, tools, spares, luggage, everything that might be in the SUV when towing. For the 4.0L engine, subtract the weight of the wet and loaded SUV from 10,000 pounds, and the answer is the max trailer weight you can tow without exceeding the GCWR of the SUV. For the V8 engine, subtract the weight of the wet and loaded SUV from 12,000 pounds, and the answer is the max trailer weight you can tow without exceeding the GCWR of the SUV.

So that tells you how much the SUV will pull without exceeding the GCWR. But no mention yet of how much hitch weight you can haul. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded SUV from the GVWR of the SUV and the answer is the max hitch weight you can have without being overloaded. Hitch weight is usually the limiter for an SUV. Divide the max hitch weight you can have by 0.15, and the answer is the max weight of any TT you can tow without being overloaded. Guaranteed, it's a lot less than 7,000 pounds.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #6

I towed a 25' roo hybrid bunkhouse for a couple of years with a 2005 v8 tow pkg ford explorer.
I never felt confident in the combo. Too small and too light of a tv imo.
fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Explorer/Mountaineer towing - suicidal. Get good life insurance.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
It all depends on the driver. One can drive with overload and be safe and an other will be an accident waiting to happen. Load info for me are limits put on by manufacture to protect the powertrain for the bumest drivers.
Any TV can pull a freight train if done properly.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Thanks for your over dramatic worthless input Wandering1. Next time try to add to the conversation, not detract from it.

For the rest of you that have responded, thank you so very much for your input. My friend is planning to either go with a short/light trailer that is suitable for their TV, or wait until they can get a truck with higher tow rating.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #10

David's RV Tips is one reference that contains the formula/chart for how long a trailer should be according to the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. The length from rear axle to trailer ball has a large impact on towing safety.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #11

Thanks, Ray. I've seen it and it is super helpful. I think for me what put my mind at ease before I bought mine, at test pull. I had the dealership install a brake controller even though I hadn't purchased a camper yet. Then I asked them to let me pull a camper about the same size as the one I was planning to buy.

Took it out on the highway about 10 miles or so on a windy day.

Tags
towing