Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2006, 04:52 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Today when I picked up the new truck, I was offered a extended warranty for $1600. It was for five years and 75,000 miles. It seems a little high to me as I got three yeabrs or 36,000 miles anyway. I did have a ABS brake controller go out on a GMC with around 45,000 miles and it cost me $900.
Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2006, 04:52 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Today when I picked up the new truck, I was offered a extended warranty for $1600. It was for five years and 75,000 miles. It seems a little high to me as I got three yeabrs or 36,000 miles anyway. I did have a ABS brake controller go out on a GMC with around 45,000 miles and it cost me $900.
Tom

Old 06-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #3

My truck came with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty and a 100,000 mile or 5 years on the engine and drive train. Never used either one. Had two sensors go out on the engine after 100K. Have 158K now. Still good.

I did buy an extended warranty for the wife's Durango having no faith in Gas Engines. I think it was real close to want was offered to you in dollars and time frame. Have not had any problems yet with the Hemi AWD Durango. (34K) It likes Gas and lots of it. 3:96 gears.

Dave
Old 06-26-2006, 05:24 PM   #4

NEVER buy an extended warranty until the new original factory warranty is close to expiring, either mileage wise or time wise...

You can buy later practically the same warranty for the same prices and NOT cheat yourself out of the first 36,000 or 3 years which runs concurently with your original factory warranty anyway..True SOME EW's will still say, "100,000 miles" on them but the time period will increase rather than lose 3 years off of it..

That's what I've done with the last two vehicles I have bought...(good thing too)
Old 06-27-2006, 06:08 AM   #5

My qualification to avoid extended warranties is this: I must be able to avoid financing or financial hardship to replace major parts. I have never been able to afford this qualificatin with regard to a vehicle.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:56 PM   #6

My experience has been that most repairs are under what an extended warranty costs anyways. If you read the "financial experts" advice (Clark Howard, etc) they say never, never buy extended warranty--it is the exception rather than the rule that it pays for itself.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally I always get the extend Manufactures warrenty. Mine cost me $0 this time for a 6yr85k from DC. If I had paid for it it would have cost $1800, it does have a $50 deductable and I have used it 2 times already. Once for a caliber to be replaced and once of the Upper & Lower Ball joints. Well lets see, Ball joints installed cost $800 so I figure I made out and I got a rental for $0 because they kept my truck for 3 days over the 4th of July.
Get it I say, it's just insurance and covers the rest of the truck Bumper to Bumper.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:01 AM   #8

If you go for an extended warrenty please have the fine print explaned to you. I purchased a 2000 ford in 2002 (used) for the wife. Purchased a 7 year/75000 mile extended warrenty for $1600. Thought it would extend out to 2009 (2002+7=2009). Doesn't work that way. Extended warranties start from year of vehicle so what I got was a warrenty that extended to year 2007. When I asked why I had to pay for a warrenty for a vehicle that I had not owned for the first 2 years thats when I was told that the warrenty starts in manufatured year of the vehicle (2000). So be aware of that fact if you wait to purchase. I got my monies worth though. In April we had transmission problems to the tune of $2450. Due to the warrenty I only had to pay $50

1998 Dodge 3500 5.9 V-8 Magum
rayt1 is offline   Reply With Quote