Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 AM   #1

I'm new here so I'm not sure where to post this but here it goes. I have an f150 v6 and would like to add more pulling power to help increase mileage when pulling my trailer. I get 16 on highway and 9 when pulling. What can I do? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
fslopez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 AM   #2

I'm new here so I'm not sure where to post this but here it goes. I have an f150 v6 and would like to add more pulling power to help increase mileage when pulling my trailer. I get 16 on highway and 9 when pulling. What can I do? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:35 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Fslopez2, welcome to iRV2.

You were real close in selecting the right forum, but I moved your post here for better exposure.

You will have some friendly folks here along shortly to help.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2.

Do you know which axle ratio you have in the truck, engine size, transmission type and what is the trailer you are towing.

Don't expect a lot of of a V-6. But generally the Ford sixes have always had a fair amount of low end torque which is what you need for towing.

A friend had a v-6 Ford truck and it had a 3.55 axle ratio which was great for highway, but not much for towing.

Like to hear back from you.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:50 AM   #5

Thanks guys for the welcome! My rear end is 3:55 V6 automatic tranny on a 2001 f150 and I have a 2007 Rockwood Mini Lite 18'. According to my owners manual I should have no problem but i am running over 25oo rpms unless i'm going downhill. I tried a superchip but they do not work on my truck.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:38 AM   #6
CD

fslopez2
Welcome aboard. IMHO the 1/2 ton and/or V6 don't make a good TV. Over the years I have towed with a car, 1/2T.PU, (3)3/4T, and now a 1ton dually. The 1/2T had a straight 6, the last 3/4T had an older CTD. It and the present 1T was the best of the bunch.
Now for your problem. You could add a gear splitter. That would probably be like a 410 rear end but a bit pricey. Your TT is not too big for a 1/2t but a 3/4T would be noticably better and a bigger engine will give better milage. I don't know how fast you drive, but if you stay under 60mph (55 is better) you will improve milage conciderably.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #7

My best guess solution is dump what you have and buy a V8. And not the smallest one either. NO, you do not need a diesel or some other monster motor, but get the 5.3/5.4L V8 and you will be amazed at how much better it pulls, and how much better the fuel economy is towing. And it will not be that bad empty if you keep your right foot off the floor boards.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #8

Fuel is required to make horsepower in any engine. Want more HP? Introduce more fuel or figure out how to utilize a higher percentage of your present fuel consumption.
Some people have done that. wait for me performance appears to be one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #9

If I recall correctly the ford V-6 makes more HP than the old 300 inline 6, but doesn't make as much low end torque...

Though you could add intake and exhaust and maybe find some kind of programmer, IMHO you wouldn't be likely to see a huge improvement.

16 empty is pretty typical of most gas 4x4 full size trucks, and about what my last truck got (F150 w/5.0). 9 seems a bit poor towing something that small. I wouldn't be surprised if a truck with a bigger engine might actually get better towing.

Although a diesel would be overkill for what you are towing, my current truck gets 20+ empty on the highway and usually around 11-12 towing the 5th wheel.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As others here have suggested, a new truck with a larger engine is probably the best bet. Been there and done that - I towed a 3000 lb TT with an S-10 with a 2.8L V6 and the same TT with an Astro Van with a 4.3L V6 - the difference was night and day. The S10s mileage dropped in half when towing, the Astro dropped from 20 solo to around 15 towing. I then went to a bigger 4,100 lb TT and the Astro was not exactly up to the task - got a Tahoe with a 5.7L V8 - did not know the TT was back there - mileage was 17 solo and 15 towing. I now have a 5600lb TT and tow it with a 3/4T PU with a 6.0L V8 get 14 solo and 11 towing. I probably could have gotten by with a lesser truck - but I like haveing power to spare when towing.

Your only other way to increase your towing MPG is to change the rear end - or as someone else suggested - add a gear splitter underdrive to give you more effective power when towing. You will probably still suffer in the towing MPG department.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:02 AM   #11

two things come to mind when owner feel like they need more power . First gear ratio, if you dont have 4.10 rear end gears and your running 3.55 your going to notice a HUGE gain in pulling power . the second thing is Ford was never known for haveing good exhaust systems , the factory muffler is very quiet and restrictive , maybe think about a good cat back exhaust . and the last option is a upgrade truck , you really dont gain much with programers on gas car and trucks ,maybe 15~ 20 hp MAX with good fuel.