Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 9
I researched both ME and MA. ME charges $10 bucks for there transponder yet Mass is free?? Mass has different violation fees yet Maine does not address them in the Q&A section. You would think they would be all the same since each state that I use it in just sends the bill to the state that I register with. That is why I still doing the research. Thanks, K&G.

Ken & Georgia
1995 5.9 Reg.cab CTD Dodge. TDR member.
2016 Prime Time 34.5' Spartan 3010 toy box TT.
puddlejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #16
Senior Member
Commercial Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,398
Each state in the EZPass system seems to have their own rules on the transponder. I had NY for a year but then I discovered I could switch to Mass and have no annual fee.

There may be other states that have no fee or low fee but the tolls you pay are all the same.
I live in Ohio. I have Class-C RV but do not tow. You do need to pay attention to vehicle class when first signing up.

If traveling to states that have their own system simply put the transponder in the special RF shield bag. Depending on costs and travel plans you may want to join more than one system.

Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read my tire blog RVTireSafety.NET to learn more about RV tires, valves & wheels. Read THIS post on why Tires Fail
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
Senior Member
powderman's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: N. E. Ohio & Lady Lake Fl.
Posts: 865
I live in Ohio but got my transponders from Mass. As stated above there is no charge. They bill $20 when you start and take addional funds as needed to maintain a positive balance. I use one transponder when just in truck, and second one when towing. Also as of today you need a. Sunpass for Fla. but the government is suppose to require one unit to work in all States soon. I don't use toll roads much, but when I do it is convienent.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #18
Senior Member
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,611
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

If traveling to states that have their own system simply put the transponder in the special RF shield bag.
These are digital systems; there is no reason to remove the transponder when you are in a state with its own system. We have both Texas and EZPass transponders on our MH and don't ever remove them. There's no interaction between the transponders of the different systems.

You do have to remove the transponders from your toad so you don't get multiple charges from the one on the MH and the one on the toad.
Joel Weiss--WiFiRanger RV Ambassador
RVParkReviews administrator
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #19
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 9

I went to the RI ezpass and they wanted $20 bucks for there transponder! I decided to just register the free one with MA. I got one unit but registered both my truck and tt. they only had two choices for the tt. I think it was (standard) and (special) can't remember. I picked standard, hope that was the right one. I'll find out come this Sep. as I travel through the New England states. Thanks again for your helping comments. K&G

Ken & Georgia
1995 5.9 Reg.cab CTD Dodge. TDR member.
2016 Prime Time 34.5' Spartan 3010 toy box TT.
puddlejumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.