Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler up View Post
Just called and Dealership service department says can start towing Diesel truck with no prep or miles...

I like the comments here about getting at least 500 miles in first
What brand vehicle?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Just called and Dealership service department says can start towing Diesel truck with no prep or miles...

I like the comments here about getting at least 500 miles in first
Dealerships sell trucks, the more you abuse them, the better. Common sense is not so common anymore. It doesn't matter a bit about brand or type of vehicle, just take it easy on whatever you have till the parts are mated.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #17

Great then more Fords for me. Why can't I find a good 6.0l for less then 20k. Bought my 2005 in 2007 for 20k.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Just got back from dealership, just looking around and doing some research.

Looking for 6 seat belts with high payload. Will use for towing 20 weekends per year. Also expect to have this truck for 15 years.

How many miles have to be on a new gas & diesel truck before towing?
Our 2005 diesel suggested 1000 km/600 miles.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #19

When I bought my Ford diesel V-8 new in 1996 I ran it 300 or so miles and then hooked it up to my travel trailer for a cross-country trip. That old F250 is still doing yeoman's service 20 years later. It was bought and used only for towing a trailer. It hasn't let me down yet, despite Cummins' claims a V-8 has too many parts for its own good :-O

I wonder how they get around that in their own V-8 designs.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #20

I've never heard cummins make that claim.

96 is different than the 2000's where there are many reports of diesel problems in fords. You'll often hear the term bulletproofing which must be done to get them to last. The mechanic at powerstrokehelp was asked which year is best and he went over them all and outlined the problems. He said prior to the 6.7l in 2011(they are under warranty so he hasn't gotten any yet but is hearing reports of catastrophic turbo failures) that the diesels were built to fail at around 120k-150k miles. I work with a former ford mechanic who specialized in diesel fuel delivery systems and said he believes it.

However i'm not a "guy" for any one brand. That's stupid. When I buy something I do a ton of research and pick what I think is best. On just about anything. When I bought my current truck for towing I looked at everything, narrowed it down to a heavy duty and looked at ford, ram, chevy and nissan and did all the research I could.
I then talked to owners(in person and forums) who have towed with more than one of those trucks made in the last 5 years and asked them which vehicle they prefered towing with. In the cases where someone towed with a Ram and either a ford or chevy 100% of the time they picked Ram as the best towing experience.
Even after I buy something I continue to second guess my choices(you should see how bad I am with cell phones) and keep doing more research. Even after a year i'm still confident I made the right decision. If I wasn't i'd have no problem selling it and getting a different truck.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Just got back from dealership, just looking around and doing some research.

Looking for 6 seat belts with high payload. Will use for towing 20 weekends per year. Also expect to have this truck for 15 years.

How many miles have to be on a new gas & diesel truck before towing?
Ford, do not know on the gas. Diesel was awhile ago but think it was 500 miles.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:37 PM   #22

I have bought on price alone for the past 45 years and no vehicle has let me down.
I owned Mopars, worst Fords, bad GMs and they all were great performers. Could not afford a GM till the 6.5l diesels were so bad that my truck was discounted by the value of the engine. 9 years of trouble free driving with a few cheap modifications. My 2005 Ford has been a great performer with plenty of power and fuel mileage with few needed modifications. The next one will be in a while so when the Ford will need replacement I will shop for possible problematic cheap unit again.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:54 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a Ford F-350 6.0 and have towed with it, literally, all over the US. Some upgrades have made it a great truck. It was my first diesel pickup. I can't say I wish I had a different brand, but I do like a lot of things about the Dodge as well. Couple good friends are diesel mechanics and both have told me all the trucks can and do have problems. I would suggest going for a spin and getting what you like to drive the best, regardless of brand. I towed the same trailer with a gas GMC before the Ford and the GMC got 7-8 mpg and the diesel gets 11-12. We still have the GMC as our second car. I have no regrets with the diesel over our gas truck.

My opinions may be highly distorted and closer than they appear.
nickdarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
When we purchased ours RAM did not make a truck with a GCVW sufficient to haul our trailer and GM required a medium duty application. The 450 has run faultlessly and performed well. Sold the 5er but keeping the truck!
Old 06-20-2016, 05:22 AM   #25

Thanks all for sharing! I went with the diesel
Old 06-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
So are the engines, transmissions, etc., of class 8 tractors, but there is no similar warning for those machines. Those rigs are bought to pull big weight from the get-go.
The difference is that the Ram is not a class 8 truck. Why would anyone expect the recommendations to be the same. A class 8 is built with expectations that it will be worked hard. The big three build them for at best medium duty. If anyone wants to be king of the hill and have all the bragging rights then get a class 8 for towing and be the envy of fellow campers.
I have a friend who tows his Mobile Suites with a Volvo class 8. He is the one that has the true capacity to tow his rig. The rest of us add all types of after market stuff to make our medium duty trucks capable of towing the loads we subject them to. Not smart and not good for our rigs.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Medium duty, but not to be worked hard as a medium duty, even from day one? Sorry, that doesn't make much sense.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
The difference is that the Ram is not a class 8 truck. Why would anyone expect the recommendations to be the same. A class 8 is built with expectations that it will be worked hard. The big three build them for at best medium duty. If anyone wants to be king of the hill and have all the bragging rights then get a class 8 for towing and be the envy of fellow campers.
I have a friend who tows his Mobile Suites with a Volvo class 8. He is the one that has the true capacity to tow his rig. The rest of us add all types of after market stuff to make our medium duty trucks capable of towing the loads we subject them to. Not smart and not good for our rigs.
The biggest reasons you will see a break in period in the owners guide is to seat in the brake pads. Ford, GM, and Ram all use the same diesels in their pickup trucks and chassis cabs. When a chassis cab is outfitted you don't see the body builder drive the truck first to beak it in. They add their outfit that can weigh tons and the customer uses it from day one. I see nothing wrong with allowing things to seat in when new. But I don't find it necessary either.

Tags
diesel, gas