Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
The biggest reasons you will see a break in period in the owners guide is to seat in the brake pads. Ford, GM, and Ram all use the same diesels in their pickup trucks and chassis cabs. When a chassis cab is outfitted you don't see the body builder drive the truck first to beak it in. They add their outfit that can weigh tons and the customer uses it from day one. I see nothing wrong with allowing things to seat in when new. But I don't find it necessary either.
Here you are again incorrectly stating why there is a break in period on the Ram trucks.

As I have stated in the past on this thread it is and I quote again.

I have an 08 Ram with the 6.7L Cummins engine in the truck. My manual stated not to tow any vehicle within the first 500 miles to allow the differential gearing to be broken in correctly and the gas engine. In the Diesel Supplemental book that was issue with the truck; the book stated that the Cummins engine needs no break in period. So for me this is only for the differential gearing in the truck, which all truck manufactures state in some form or another for their pick-up trucks. End quote.

And being a Retired engineer I can totally understand this procedure. I also flushed the front and back differentials after 500 miles to eliminate the break in debris from the differentials.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I have an 08 Ram ...
And not everyone else does. I posted what my owner's manual said, and it is different. It's a different model year, different components. Really.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
And not everyone else does. I posted what my owner's manual said, and it is different. It's a different model year, different components. Really.
There's no sense arguing over this. If there are owners who want to to immediately tow heavy loads then go ahead. It's your truck. If you want to break it in over 1K miles then do that. If you believe that this longer process allows all the components to better mate to one another then follow that line of thinking.
The one thing we should all not do is try to compare our medium duty rigs to Class 8 rigs. They are not the same!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Each Cummins engine is dynoed before leaving the factory to ensure it is meeting the torque specification. By the time the test is completed the engine is considered to be 'broken in'.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
Never once, has anyone said, I hate having too much truck with all this power making it so easy to pull this giant load over the mountains, and I WISH I had a gas engine that would be mashed all the way to the floor and only going 30 mph up this hill and why are all those Yugo's passing me.

If you ever try pulling a trailer of any sort with a diesel engine with exhaust brakes, you will remove the word gas out of your vocabulary forever.

I would avoid a Ford. There is just too much bad history with thier engines. (This is where Ford owners unite to fight back) I have many friends who have thrown their Ford diesels as far down off a cliff as possible and the ones remaining that are still running all say they wished they had what I have.
I just love the guys that bash Ford or other trucks other than their own whenever they can. Can you provide detailed stats of your statements? Where did you hear that Ford diesel engines are full of bad history?
I am on my second F350 with a 6.7 diesel, and have had no issues what so ever in both trucks.

Please back up your statements with facts.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Please back up your statements with facts.
And not anecdotal evidence? Ok.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #35

Well, I rolled the dice-and I'm the one that pays if it goes badly. Bought a 17400# HitchHiker at the old factory in Chanute Kansas and also a new F350 Dually diesel. I had to be back in Texas and the thought of paying $2.00 a mile for someone else to tow it didn't fly. I had a new hitch installed at B&W and drove 150 miles around Chanute then hooked it up. I drove 2 lanes through the little towns almost all the way to east Texas using a light throttle and allowing extra stopping distance. On the short section of turnpike I had to take I found an elevated off ramp about every 25 miles then eased down the other side and back on the road. Time will tell, but was my decision-I will live with it.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 06-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You bought a Ford.....you'll be fine. Just take it easy for awhile like you are doing.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #37

Thumbs up on the Ford diesel. You should have noticed during your test drive of the gas truck that it had barely enough power to move itself where the diesel truck moves and accelerates like a truck should.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford had some issues with the Navistar 6 liter engine in it's early life. By the last year 2006 Ford claimed the engine had the least amount of complaints of any of their engines.

Our neighbor is a Ford heavy duty mechanic. I spoke to him about the 6 liter problems. He advised me that I would be unlikely to have any issues. Most of the issues he dealt with were due to chipping. His advice was to continue to drive it and not worry.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #39

I can't remember his name but the guy at powerstrokehelp.com has been a ps guru for 15 years and was the guy who could bulletproof the earlier versions. He claims that every major failure he has inspected on the 6.7 was a result of chipping.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 06-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #40

Thought this was a diesel vs gas debate? If I didn't need the power of a diesel I would not own one. Costs more, cost more to maintain. Like the power though.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:53 AM   #41

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Why dont you ask Ford and get the facts instead of personal opinions?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Why dont you ask Ford and get the facts instead of personal opinions?

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas