Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"I'm not sure if you noticed, but this turned into a Ram vs Ford thread. Please try to stay on topic. "

NOT my fault! I have been banished for the last two weeks.
I was the first to comment that. But it went on so I just wanted to end with they all are awfull.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:52 PM   #58

I asked the owner of an independent diesel maintenance company that works on our company box trucks about which 1 ton p/u. He suggested that I find a Ford interior with a cummins diesel and allison transmission.

Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
I asked the owner of an independent diesel maintenance company that works on our company box trucks about which 1 ton p/u. He suggested that I find a Ford interior with a cummins diesel and allison transmission.

Really? I had a 2011 Lariat and hated the interior. The leather seemed very cheap and flimsy plastic was everywhere. Thinking about it, the leather on that truck looked worse when I got rid of it with ~20,000 miles than the leather in my wife's 2007 Hummer H2 with 70,000 miles. And this was in 2013. The Ford was always garaged too.

Granted, there are some things I hate about the interior of my 2015 Ram. They put chrome in some of the worst places, like around the center console and drink holders. I'm not sure if I'm just the perfect height or something, but it seems like almost every time I drive that truck I'm blinded by the sun reflecting off of this chrome. I really need to paint it or something. Terrible!!!

Anyway, just my experience.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"I'm not sure if you noticed, but this turned into a Ram vs Ford thread. Please try to stay on topic. "

NOT my fault! I have been banished for the last two weeks.
Did you learn anything from your timeout?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #61

F 350 Diesel Vs. gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawHD View Post
Did you learn anything from your timeout?

Yes. He did.

Fiat is the best truck.

B&W is the only hitch ever made.

Andersen was never made (see above) and when it was dreamed up by internet posters who use it successfully, they were just dreaming.

The Allison transmission is inferior to all others.

Anyone whose disagrees with the above points is wrong... Because he has personally talked with the folks who engineered and built each of them.

Every post needs to show "stock pictures" of his Fiat with or without his 5th wheel.

He learned.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #62

^
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #63

Break-in mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler up View Post
Just got back from dealership, just looking around and doing some research.

Looking for 6 seat belts with high payload. Will use for towing 20 weekends per year. Also expect to have this truck for 15 years.

How many miles have to be on a new gas & diesel truck before towing?
Why not look around and buy a diesel that is a couple years old with around 30,000 miles on it? The depreciation is already applied and 30,000 miles on a diesel is nothing if it was maintained. Also, the previous owner may have made some improvements for longevity and performance and mileage. Plus when you carry something in the bed for the first time you won't constantly be worried about cargo shifts and scratches because there will be a few scratches to ease your anxiety. Personally, I am a fan of Ford Powerstrokes for pickups but my motor home is Cummins ISB powered and I love it. You can run across some great deals on used Ford F-250 and F-350 with the 6.0 Powerstroke and they make amazing power with decent mileage but stay away......run and hide. Eventually the EGR system and EGR cooler will cause you the need for a total rebuild with EGR delete kits and new cylinder head studs instead of bolts to clamp down the heads properly. I have driven the 2016 Ford F-450 and on a 500 mile round trip towing an equipment trailer and I was shocked at the crappy fuel economy. To summarize....go diesel....but a used one. Have fun.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #64

One thing that occurred to me as the family and I were traveling the 10 hours each way to vacation... what do gas rigs do for fuel while traveling with a big 5er? I did see one gasser with a 35 foot 5er struggle getting into and out of the small gas pumps?
chertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:27 AM   #65
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
One thing that occurred to me as the family and I were traveling the 10 hours each way to vacation... what do gas rigs do for fuel while traveling with a big 5er? I did see one gasser with a 35 foot 5er struggle getting into and out of the small gas pumps?
If you have a short bed/small tank truck, 35 foot 5er, you quickly learn to 'cope'. I found with our last gasser truck that you planned your next stop as you were pulling out of the current gas station and you bought more gas about as soon as you found another station that 'worked', need it or not.

That was reason #2 for my decision to go with my current LB diesel truck
Old 07-12-2016, 06:47 AM   #66

My buddie's diesel has a 25G tank. My gasser has a 35G. He gets 12 mpg towing, I get 10 mpg towing. I go further between fuelling stops. Both pulling a TT.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
Cross your fingers,
for a wide open gas station...
Pilot Flying J with RV lanes.
Cuss a lot....

Had a V-10 pulling a 36 footer.

Tags
diesel, gas