Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Evaluating sales figures relative to the "goodness" of a vehicle is about as valid as evaluating sales figures relative to the "goodness" of a hamburger. If sales are the deciding factor, then the Big Mac is the best burger you'll ever find - and most of us would agree that's not the case.

There are many other factors involved such as fleet agreements, commercial pricing schemes, number and location of dealerships, etc. that impact sales figures. None of these have anything to do with how good a particular truck is.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's the 2013 sales figures . . .

The Hottest Selling Cars Of 2013

Ford truck - 1st
Chevy truck - 2nd
Camry - 3rd
Accord - 4th
Ram - 5th
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Here's the 2013 sales figures . . .

The Hottest Selling Cars Of 2013

Ford truck - 1st
Chevy truck - 2nd
Camry - 3rd
Accord - 4th
Ram - 5th
Darn, I could have had a Camry to tow with!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #18

"Once again, the Ford F-Series, which includes the F-150, F-250 and F-350, has blown the competition away, with over 763,000 units sold in 2013. No other vehicle came anywhere close to that number" http://autos.aol.com/gallery/best-se...6363&kgal_back

That says a lot right there.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Darn, I could have had a Camry to tow with!
The thread had a discussion about sales figures . . . hence the reference to sales figures.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #20

More sales numbers talk - with these kind of numbers it is an interesting business. On one hand each truck builder does not want to upset the apple cart. But in this cut throat business they can not sit idle.
How does Ford stay on top? How can Ram gain market share? How can Chevy/GMC pass Ford?

Chevy - much better truck in 2011, but so is the Ford and the Ram. Ram improves in 2013, Ford improves in 2014. All three battle in 1/2 ton gas and heavy duty diesel. Kinda a two front battle.

Makes the Camry / Accord battle seem little.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
More sales numbers talk - with these kind of numbers it is an interesting business. On one hand each truck builder does not want to upset the apple cart. But in this cut throat business they can not sit idle.
How does Ford stay on top? How can Ram gain market share? How can Chevy/GMC pass Ford?

Chevy - much better truck in 2011, but so is the Ford and the Ram. Ram improves in 2013, Ford improves in 2014. All three battle in 1/2 ton gas and heavy duty diesel. Kinda a two front battle.

Makes the Camry / Accord battle seem little.
With all three battling it out, there is no doubt that there are continual improvements and much better trucks than just a few years ago. No matter what brand you go with, the owners are pretty much the winners. With the exception of the sticker prices now.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
The competition is so fast and furious I am not sure how the new engines are being tested.
Here's your answer GM recall ( Engine fire problem) GM 4.3L & 5.3L recall (Jan 10th)

That is why I have 2014 Tundra on order...Yes, it too uses a bunch of aluminum, but has a solid track record.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I get a little queasy every time I see a F-150 pulling a big trailer that would fit much better on a F-350 Custom.. But then I see that alot.

The problem (And when I say this I do not mean to Pick on Ford.. It applies to dang near EVERY truck maker out there)

The problem is this: Advertisers like to brag about how much their client's trucks can tow and/or haul.. So they do things like hook up an F-150 or Chevy 10 or Toyota or Nissan or ______ to the space shuttle, or a 747 or a train car or a big trailer full of heavy stuff and tow it VERY SLOWLY across the screen or up and down a hill.

Those trucks are operating way beyond their ratings in the ads.. But for a short distance, at low speed, YES you can exceed the ratings.

And on a closed course with professionals you can do it safely.

But please consider a bigger truck.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #24

For many of the years Ford claims the best selling truck they actually got beat by GM. They count the Chevy and GMC sales figures separately. I forget how many years GM sold more trucks but it was quite a few of those years. Ford has an incredible marketing campaign. Somehow, despite all the problems with the 6.0 and 6.4 people continued to buy those trucks.

I too am not pleased with the way the industry is going. I don't need a 400 hp, 800 ft/lb engine in my truck. My '05 Duramax has more than enough power. I'd gladly take less HP in the new trucks for improved fuel economy and lower purchase price. I also have no use what-so-ever for all the electronic niceties and gizmos in the new trucks. It's getting so you can't get away from some of that stuff even in a strip down work truck.
I'll be keeping my '05 as long as possible and then, I don't know, you can almost buy a Kenworth for what they get for a new pick-up these days.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4UPL View Post
For many of the years Ford claims the best selling truck they actually got beat by GM. They count the Chevy and GMC sales figures separately. I forget how many years GM sold more trucks but it was quite a few of those years. Ford has an incredible marketing campaign. Somehow, despite all the problems with the 6.0 and 6.4 people continued to buy those trucks.

I too am not pleased with the way the industry is going. I don't need a 400 hp, 800 ft/lb engine in my truck. My '05 Duramax has more than enough power. I'd gladly take less HP in the new trucks for improved fuel economy and lower purchase price. I also have no use what-so-ever for all the electronic niceties and gizmos in the new trucks. It's getting so you can't get away from some of that stuff even in a strip down work truck.
I'll be keeping my '05 as long as possible and then, I don't know, you can almost buy a Kenworth for what they get for a new pick-up these days.
I agree with you. Many years of selling those problem laden trucks and people still buy the fool out of them. Also, the new ford trucks are ridiculous in price. A fairly well equipped diesel ford is almost $10,000 more than a comparable ram and about $6000 more than a chevy. I don't understand it.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
I agree with you. Many years of selling those problem laden trucks and people still buy the fool out of them. Also, the new ford trucks are ridiculous in price. A fairly well equipped diesel ford is almost $10,000 more than a comparable ram and about $6000 more than a chevy. I don't understand it.
Chad
Not in my neck of the woods. I've been pricing a new truck (class 4 chassis cab) out of curiosity for a few years now, and all 2 (GM bailed on that market a loooong time ago) are within maybe $5k in price. Differences in "Build" apps on their respective websites, coupled with forced "options" make a direct comparison difficult. Dodge usually is the least expensive, but at almost $50k for a 4x2, I'd still call all of them ridiculous in price. What's stupid is I can pull up numerous units at out of state dealers, especially Texas, where I could get a new 4x4 truck for $10k less than what either's build-n-price says I can get a 4x2. Tells me I'm getting screwed because of where I live.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4UPL View Post
For many of the years Ford claims the best selling truck they actually got beat by GM. They count the Chevy and GMC sales figures separately. ...snip ...
Not true . . . if you add ALL of the GM-produced trucks, even those that aren't Silverado and Sierras, like Escalades and others, they won't add up to the Ford F-series total.

Sure, Ford will seize the marketing opportunity, but it's not Ford who reports the final numbers. C'mon, if it was that easy, Government Motors . . . err, General Motors . . . would just say they did it!
Old 01-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
What does it matter who sold the most trucks? What in blazes does that have to do with their suitability as a tow vehicle for travel trailers and 5th wheels (the subject of this forum)? The majority of them are mall cruisers anyway.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote