Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #15

Teacher my man.... With 4 kids! Budget at best $25k at 72month!! Thanks for info though - I'd have no problem with v10 e350 but wifey put a stop to that!!
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #16

Coastal Campers
Have your wife drive a one ton van and the pickup. We are on our 5th van over the years, and find the seating position more comfortable, view forward and backward better, easier to park and maneuver since the wheels are close to the corners. Plenty of room for the family and stuff, and tow anything up to 10,000 lbs well. Also priced much more favorably than a truck.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #17

Thanks will-- I showed my wife a 350 XLT and told her my in laws wouldn't have to drive separate --- but she's not down with the all white billboard of a van!! If I could find a black or tan one then I'd have a chance
Old 12-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Kampers View Post
Thanks will-- I showed my wife a 350 XLT and told her my in laws wouldn't have to drive separate --- but she's not down with the all white billboard of a van!! If I could find a black or tan one then I'd have a chance
They're out there. But when buying used, you may have to compromise on the exact specs of your van. For example, you must have a "one ton" van, E-350 or GM 3500, to have enough payload capacity for both your family and the hitch weight of a decent-sized TT. So you're probably going to have to settle on a 15-passenger van, then remove a bunch of seats to get it down to 8-pax seating. Both tan and black are available, but white is much more popular because it is easier to cool in the summertime. I did a Bing search for a Chevy 3500 van and here's one that's a strong possibility for your needs and wants:

2008 Chevrolet Express Passenger LS 3500 3dr Extended Passenger Van In Raleigh NC - Cardinal Auto Sales

Yeah, when looking for a used one-ton passenger van in some color other than white or school-bus yellow, you may have to go a long way from home to find it. But they're out there. The one above with only 62,000 miles is listed for $14,500, so you can add the cost of a one-way plane ticket to go get it, and still have lots left over in your $25k budget for traveling and motel expenses.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #19

I can def. make that work!! Trailer tongue weight a bit too much maybe but I'll have to look into it -- I'm the type that will drive anywhere to save $$ and keep my family safe for years to come
Old 12-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #20

We also have 4 kids. Wanted a truck with the most room available. Went with the MegaCab. Worked great for us. Plenty of room for kids "busy" stuff. Be sure whatever you get has a DVD player. They are lifesavers. Or should I say sanity savers.
becken6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
They're out there. But when buying used, you may have to compromise on the exact specs of your van. For example, you must have a "one ton" van, E-350 or GM 3500, to have enough payload capacity for both your family and the hitch weight of a decent-sized TT. So you're probably going to have to settle on a 15-passenger van, then remove a bunch of seats to get it down to 8-pax seating. Both tan and black are available, but white is much more popular because it is easier to cool in the summertime. I did a Bing search for a Chevy 3500 van and here's one that's a strong possibility for your needs and wants:

2008 Chevrolet Express Passenger LS 3500 3dr Extended Passenger Van In Raleigh NC - Cardinal Auto Sales

Yeah, when looking for a used one-ton passenger van in some color other than white or school-bus yellow, you may have to go a long way from home to find it. But they're out there. The one above with only 62,000 miles is listed for $14,500, so you can add the cost of a one-way plane ticket to go get it, and still have lots left over in your $25k budget for traveling and motel expenses.
That's what I would be looking for. I'm not much of a van guy but with the number of kids you have a crew cab truck is just a stretch. The other option is a bunkhouse class C
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I can def. make that work!! Trailer tongue weight a bit too much maybe ...
You said your trailer is a 37' 7500lb passport. If that 7,500 is the GVWR of the trailer, then no problem. Simply load the trailer lightly to attempt to keep the weight below about 7,000 pounds.

But if that 7,500 pounds is the dry weight of the trailer, then it's probably too much for a GM 3500 van.

If you trade for a lighter-weight RV trailer, look for a bunkhouse TT with beds for four kids and wet and loaded weight of less than 7,000 pounds. Then the 350/3500 van will have no problem carrying the 900 to 1,000 pounds hitch weight of the trailer, and the 6.0L gas engine in that Chevy 3500 previously linked to will have no problem dragging that trailer over the hills and valleys.

However, check the tongue weight (TW) capacity of the receiver hitch to be sure it is rated for at least 1,000 pounds TW. If not, it may need to be replaced with one that has at least 1,000 pounds TW rating with a weight-distributing hitch.

Here's the floorplan of the Keystone Bullet 243BHS (bunkhouse with slide) with GVWR of 6,500 pounds.

It sounds like they had your family in mind when they designed that trailer.

Bullet
Old 12-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #23

I'd be looking for a 2500 Suburban with an 8.1L engine as first choice for SUV. If you have to have an Excursion then get the V10 and save your self all the 6.0 trouble.
Really, I think if I were in your position I'd be looking hard at a 3500 van. The GM van will have a 6.0 gas engine which is a very reliable engine. Or, you can find a van with the Duramax; that would make a great tow vehicle for you in my opinion. You may have to get creative. Get it painted if you don't like white. Or, get a vinyl wrap applied; full body or just some graphics. The van should be cheap enough that the "decorating" won't break the budget.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

6Kampers, if your '09 Suburban is the 1500 (half ton) version, then you know all about being overloaded when dragging that trailer. If it is the 2500 version, then the 7,500 pound TT may not overload the SUV, but you probably don't have any wiggle room. The 3500 passenger van will probably have a similar tow rating as the 2500 'Burb with the same engine and axle ratio.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by becken6 View Post
We also have 4 kids. Wanted a truck with the most room available. Went with the MegaCab. Worked great for us. Plenty of room for kids "busy" stuff. Be sure whatever you get has a DVD player. They are lifesavers. Or should I say sanity savers.

Hey Becken ..... Is your M.Cab diesel or Hemi?!? Found a deAl for two Hemis (84k miles and 122k) both around $15k but 5.9L is 25k all day!?!? I'd have no problem with Hemi but again would be pushing it according to gcvw and tow cap. Although EVERY Dodge site states a 1500 is a 2500 badged as 1/2 ton for insurance?!!?
Old 12-15-2016, 11:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Hey Becken ..... Is your M.Cab diesel or Hemi?!? Found a deAl for two Hemis (84k miles and 122k) both around $15k but 5.9L is 25k all day!?!? I'd have no problem with Hemi but again would be pushing it according to gcvw and tow cap. Although EVERY Dodge site states a 1500 is a 2500 badged as 1/2 ton for insurance?!!?
I have the MC in 2500 and 6.4 Hemi. I don't tow anything yet and when I bought it in 2015 had no plans to tow. The 6.4 will be good for our first TT purchase then I'll step up to a diesel 3500 MC for the 5er. ALso, you should have a payload of approx 3000 lbs and a combined of 23K or so with the Hemi so your trailer should be well within capacities of the truck unless you get a MC with the 5.7 Hemi.

I have a customer who has the 2500 MC Diesel and has four kids that are late single digits and early teens. They tow their Jayco TT all over the west in their truck and said it works great. With your family I would have a 5 year old in the middle front and middle back seat with the little ones at the doors in the back seat. Keep in mind that the rear seat in the MC is bigger and a bit different configuration than that standard crew cab. With 4 small kids I think the ability to have the bed of the truck with a Cap over the bed to be invaluable to store firewood, bikes, strollers, etc, etc. IMO, so much better than a Van or Excursion.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #27

Thanks everyone -- I'm just too scared of a 6.0 & affording potential repairs (not maintenance)

I've narrowed it down to a few local trucks and 1 Excursion....

2006 mega cab 5.4 Hemi ($15k, 122000miles)
2008 F350 CC v10 ($16k, 130,000)
2006 Mega Cab 5.9 Cummings ($21k, 177000)
2005 Excursion v10 ($14k, 110,000) *** 3" lift I hope to take off

I am a teacher, but own a lawn care company with a 07 F150 SC, paid off.... As much as I like no payment, I LOVE my suburban -- so I'm leaning towards trading up in truck !!! I'll manage the 3-5 trips a year where I pull with 1 kid sitting middle shotgun!?!

Anyone with input on vehicles ?? Each will do the job, it just comes down to $$$$$ -- the Excursion I found has 160k for $18k but nothing done to Make her right!!!!! So I'd be forking $2000 right away for coolers and EGR delete......

Thanks
Old 12-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #28

I have a diesel. 5.9. Bought it with 26,000 miles on it. Just turned 157,000 and still running strong. About 35,0000 of that is pulling the 5th wheel. It's been a really good truck. We plan one big trip each year with the whole family (which is getting harder as kids grow up). Each trip is usually between 4,000 and 5,000 miles. So we have a lot of hours of 6 people in cab. Yes there are tight times but it has worked well. I remove the center floor console so my daughter can sit comfortably in the front, in the middle. She has a portable DVR in the front and the 3 boys have a stock DVR in the back.
I'm sure there are other rigs that would work for you. But for us the MegaCab has been perfect.
As for $ I paid $26K in 2009. I see guys selling them with the mileage I have for close to that. Hemi is a good/capable engine. Depends how often pulling, type of terrain pulling on and how big of a trailer you have.
Out of the 4 vehicles you have listed I would take the MegaCab w/5.9 (yes I'm probably a little biased), then the hemi. Just my two cents.
becken6 is offline   Reply With Quote