Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Fifteen people die in overloaded pickup.

Fifteen illegal immigrants died in this wreck near Goliad, Texas this week. Using an average weight of 150 lbs per individual the ton pickup had a load of around 3,000 lbs. The veteran DPS officer stated; “overloading a pickup can change its handling and make it much more dangerous to stop or turn, even at legal speeds: Putting 20 people in there, that is just crazy.”

Maybe those of you that load their pickups near or over their GVWR should learn from this?

tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Lots of over loaded tow vehicles....The Salesman said ..."Your Vehicle can pull anything on this lot"...

They have said it to me...Tried to sell me a trailer at least 3,000 dry weight over my max capacity...Said that he would sell me a hitch and brake controller at cost and it would be fine...Has sold lots of folks big trailers with small tow vehicles...

Big debate on the Airstream forum...One camp insists that that all of to weight and balance figures are "Just Made Up"...The other camp..(Mine)...says they are important...

One of the guys on my side a GM engineer with decades....gave his explanation....The other side Told him...That he is full of S***.....

My side said there are liability issues...If there is a crash and you are overloaded....You can be sued and even found Criminally Negligent ...up to and including vehicular homicide..The other side says pretty much....I'd like to see them try.....I can do anything that I want to...

Foxhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The people who transport illegals into the US think of them as cargo, They see only dollars, not people, "Who cares if a few illegals die, there's plenty more where those came from after all". At least that is how they thing.

How do I think... I'm afraid if I typed that the moderators (And for good reason too) would moderate this message..

(Offically: Carting illegals into the country is, well, Illegal, and I spent the vast majority of my working life assisting law enforcement as a police dispatcer,, There are many illegals of one kind or another who owe their retirement from a life of crime to my efforts I'm happy to say.. IN short, I helped folks sleep bettery, YOU cause Mr. Bad Guy is in the slammer.. Mr. Bad Guy can sleep sound in the knowledge that "The Man" is not going to put "The Arm" on him and toss his sorry anatomy in the slammer. (He's there already).. See, I help folks sleep better.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote