Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
M2D

Fifth Wheel and Boat Towing

We need to talk to the truck dealers but also thought we would ask here.

We own a boat and have traditionally towed it with a truck. We are looking to buy a I ton diesel to tow a fifth wheel. When DH builds his truck on the web site it does not allow a fifth wheel setup along with a boat tow setup.

Do any of you have your trucks set up to tow a fiver and then sometimes tow a boat instead? I do not mean towing the boat on the back of the fifth wheel.

Once more thanks a lot,

M2D

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #2

Any new truck with a "tow package" should include a receiver hitch plus 4 and 7 pin electrical and will be able to tow your boat. Have fun.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
When DH builds his truck on the web site it does not allow a fifth wheel setup along with a boat tow setup.
You are misunderstanding something. The "boat tow setup" is standard. It includes a receiver hitch and trailer wiring plug under the back bumper.

You can add the fifth-wheel hitch setup to a 3500 one-ton dually as an option, but that does not delete the receiver hitch and trailer wiring plug under the back bumper.

The fifth-wheel setup is a bargain. It does NOT include the actual hitch, but includes all the under-bed hardware required for you to add the actual hitch. The setup is designed for a Reese Elite hitch, but others make hitches that will plug into the Ram optional fifth-wheel hitch setup, including B&W Companion Hitch and SuperGlide automatic sliding hitch, in case you order a short-bed truck instead of the normal 8' long bed.

So order the optional fifth-wheel hitch setup on the truck, and it will include the receiver hitch and wiring required to handle your boat.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
M2D

Thank you, when DH would click on the fifth wheel set up the bumper tow would delete itself and vice versa while using the "build your truck" setup.

My DH is using Smokywren's wish list to build one of his online trucks so thanks for that as well!

M2D
Old 07-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
Thank you, when DH would click on the fifth wheel set up the bumper tow would delete itself and vice versa while using the "build your truck" setup.
I cannot duplicate that condition when building a 3500 DRW (or SRW either) on the RamTrucks website. The bumper tow setup is standard and there is no mention of changing it when I select the 5er prep option.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
M2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I cannot duplicate that condition when building a 3500 DRW on the RamTrucks website. The bumper tow setup is standard and there is no mention of changing it when I select the 5er prep option.
I think DH is looking at the Chevy and Ford sites. he is now out towing our utility trailer to the composting site in town.

Thank you,

M2D
Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
M2D

Thank you very much for all of your help. I did price out a Ford as you specified. It is a (relatively) reasonable price for what you get. I have owned 3 new Fords including 1 truck. They were all comfortable, but all rusted out in 8 years. I am balancing that against my gene pool and figure that won't be an issue.

I think there is value in Chevy/GMC's "Driver Assist" package as I get older and contemplate my wife driving this big rig. She drives a Prius now.

In specing out the GMC, I can add the 5th wheel setup, specified by them as -
Fifth Wheel Hitch Package (24K Capacity, Standard Legs)
Hitch Trailering Package, 24K Capacity, Fifth Wheel with Standard Legs and 7-Way Electrical Extension by Curt Manufacturing. This welded structural steel Hitch Trailering Package features a standard receiver to fit most ball mount assemblies to your towing needs.

Oops - Now I just answered my own question - this package includes the Hitch Trailering Package, which is also specified separately.

Sorry to bother you, but I thought you would be interested in what problem I was trying to solve. Again, thank you very much for all of your help. We both appreciate very much your experience and knowledge and you willingness to put up with and help us newbys..

Mark

Tags
tow, towing