Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Fifth wheel hitch

Can someone tell me what brand fifth wheel to buy to put in my Dodge ram pickup . To pull fifth wheel camper.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

While i think of it. What brand of Refrigerator that is good to look for in a used fifth wheel camper?

Old 12-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #3

Stats will help.

35'-40'? You will probably want a 3500 (1 ton/ maybe dual RW). 3/4 ton payload will be insufficient for many 5ers. that length.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylighthouse View Post
Can someone tell me what brand fifth wheel to buy to put in my Dodge ram pickup . To pull fifth wheel camper.

You're a little short on info. What year, model and engine do you have? My C3500 DRW will pull most any 5er I care to hook up to. But if yours is a 1500 gasser with the smallest engine, any 5er except the smallest might be too much.

BTW, there are numerous resources on line where you can lookup your exact make, model and year and find its towing capabilities.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

I'd say get one within 85% of max capacity.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
I'd say get one within 85% of max capacity.
If by "max capacity" you mean "tow rating", then I would advise to ignore the tow rating and go by the available payload capacity.

Tow rating is based on GCWR minus the weight of a tow vehicle with absolutely nothing in it but a skinny driver, and with no options other than those options required to obtain that tow rating.

For example, my tow rating was over 13,000 pounds. But because of hitch weight and options and cargo (passenger(s), tools, jack, jack base, etc.) I'm overloaded over the GVWR of my tow vehicle when my 5er grosses only 8,000 pounds. So much for the tow rating.

My GVWR on my '99.5 F-250 was only 8,800, and pin weight of 1,185 leaves only 7615 f0r max wet and loaded truck weight before I tie onto the 5er. However, my pin weight of my wet and loaded 5er was a coupla hundred pounds more than 1,185, So I was usually slightly overloaded when towing my 5er cross-country.

So using 85% of 8,800 tow rating, I should be able to tow a trailer that grosses over 11,000 pounds without being overloaded. But no can do. My 5er overloads my tow vehicle (TV) when the 5er grosses only 7,900 to 8,000 pounds.

So here's the drill if you don't want to be overloaded when wet and loaded on the road.

1. Load the TV with everyone and everything that will be in it when towing. Include tools, jack, 5er hitch installed, campfire wood, everything.

2. Drive to a truck stop that has a certified automated truck (CAT) scale.

3. Fill up with gas.

4. Weigh the wet and loaded TV with everyone and everything in it.

5. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded TV from the GVWR of the TV. The answer is the max hitch weight (kingpin or "pin" weight for a 5er) you can have without being overloaded.

6. Divide that max hitch weight by 0.17. The answer is the max GVWR of any smaller 5er you want to consider, assuming the 5er has normal, average pin weight for that type trailer. If you want to be positive you don't have too much trailer for that TV, then divide the available hitch weight by 0.20.

Example: Your wet and loaded TV weighs 7,400 pounds. GVWR of the TV is 10,000 pounds, leaving 1,600 pounds for max hitch weight. That calculation considered the weight of your installed 5er hitch. Next, divide that 1,600 pounds max hitch weight by 17% (0.17) to get the max GVWR of any 5er you want to consider. 1,600 divided by 0.17 = 9,411. So don't even look at 5ers with GVWR more than about 9,000 pounds.

Lightweight "half-ton towable" 5ers have around 17% pin weight. Normal 5ers are heavier and have closer to 20% pin weight. Bigger "luxury" 5ers often have about 20% to 24% pin weight. So the estimates of wet and loaded pin weight is not an exact science. Confirm your estimates by weighing the wet and loaded rig on a CAT scale when you first hit the road ith your wet and loaded 5er.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
If by "max capacity" you mean "tow rating", then I would advise to ignore the tow rating and go by the available payload capacity.

Tow rating is based on GCWR minus the weight of a tow vehicle with absolutely nothing in it but a skinny driver, and with no options other than those options required to obtain that tow rating.

For example, my tow rating was over 13,000 pounds. But because of hitch weight and options and cargo (passenger(s), tools, jack, jack base, etc.) I'm overloaded over the GVWR of my tow vehicle when my 5er grosses only 8,000 pounds. So much for the tow rating.

My GVWR on my '99.5 F-250 was only 8,800, and pin weight of 1,185 leaves only 7615 f0r max wet and loaded truck weight before I tie onto the 5er. However, my pin weight of my wet and loaded 5er was a coupla hundred pounds more than 1,185, So I was usually slightly overloaded when towing my 5er cross-country.

So using 85% of 8,800 tow rating, I should be able to tow a trailer that grosses over 11,000 pounds without being overloaded. But no can do. My 5er overloads my tow vehicle (TV) when the 5er grosses only 7,900 to 8,000 pounds.

So here's the drill if you don't want to be overloaded when wet and loaded on the road.

1. Load the TV with everyone and everything that will be in it when towing. Include tools, jack, 5er hitch installed, campfire wood, everything.

2. Drive to a truck stop that has a certified automated truck (CAT) scale.

3. Fill up with gas.

4. Weigh the wet and loaded TV with everyone and everything in it.

5. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded TV from the GVWR of the TV. The answer is the max hitch weight (kingpin or "pin" weight for a 5er) you can have without being overloaded.

6. Divide that max hitch weight by 0.17. The answer is the max GVWR of any smaller 5er you want to consider, assuming the 5er has normal, average pin weight for that type trailer. If you want to be positive you don't have too much trailer for that TV, then divide the available hitch weight by 0.20.

Example: Your wet and loaded TV weighs 7,400 pounds. GVWR of the TV is 10,000 pounds, leaving 1,600 pounds for max hitch weight. That calculation considered the weight of your installed 5er hitch. Next, divide that 1,600 pounds max hitch weight by 17% (0.17) to get the max GVWR of any 5er you want to consider. 1,600 divided by 0.17 = 9,411. So don't even look at 5ers with GVWR more than about 9,000 pounds.

Lightweight "half-ton towable" 5ers have around 17% pin weight. Normal 5ers are heavier and have closer to 20% pin weight. Bigger "luxury" 5ers often have about 20% to 24% pin weight. So the estimates of wet and loaded pin weight is not an exact science. Confirm your estimates by weighing the wet and loaded rig on a CAT scale when you first hit the road ith your wet and loaded 5er.
huh, he asked about a 5th wheel hitch, not a truck.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 12-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To provide the best info on the hitch, we really need to know what truck and trailer the OP will be using.

Ken
Old 12-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #9

That is why I stated what I did. Don't load hitch over 85% and he will be good. Now his truck and 5th wheel he didn't share with us.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #10

1500, 2500, 3500... more

engine... v8, v10, GAS, Diesel

short bed, long bed....

No useful information provided...

cheaper hitch.. Max load hitch...

then there is the Trailer... super lite... or Max heavy...
20 feet, 45 feet
2,3 axle...
Old 12-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
huh, he asked about a 5th wheel hitch, not a truck.
Yeah, I misread it. I saw "max capacity" and was thinking gross weight of the trailer the hitch would tow. 5er hitch specs usually include the max trailer weight you can tow with that hitch, as well as the max pin weight the hitch can handle. You don't want to exceed either limit.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #12

"huh, he asked about a 5th wheel hitch, not a truck"

OP please fill in your info so we can help with your questions. Also re read your posts before posting to see if You can answer your own question.

I will assume you have a newer RAM 2500 or larger capacity truck. If you do not have the factory 5th wheel prep buy the parts from Chrysler and install them, not a hard job. If you have the prep that's great.

This is the hitch to buy, best non air ride hitch on the market by far. B&W RVK3600 it has 25K towing and 6,250# pin ratings. Simple solid design with NO confusion if you are hitched.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
This is the hitch to buy, best non air ride hitch on the market by far. B&W RVK3600 ...
May be true, but only if your tow vehicle (TV) has an 8' bed. But if your TV has a 6.5' or 5.5' bed, then you probably need a slider hitch, and preferably an automatic slider. In that case. the PullRite SuperGlide hitch is the best.
Traditional Series SuperGlide - For Short Bed Trucks | PullRite Hitches

For a manual slider, the Reese Elite 18k slider can't be beat. If you have the factory 5er prep kit in your Ram bed, the Elite is the factory optional 5er hitch. But it's probably a lot less expensive if you order it from ETrailer.com instead from a Ram dealer. Here's the Elite 18k Slider for a 2012 Ram 2500 from ETrailer.com:
Reese Elite Series Pre-Assembled 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Slider, Wiring Harness - Single Jaw - 18,000 lbs Reese Fifth Wheel RP30144
Old 12-29-2015, 06:36 AM   #14

Fifth wheel

i have a 3500 Dodge duly with a6.7 Desel
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
You're a little short on info. What year, model and engine do you have? My C3500 DRW will pull most any 5er I care to hook up to. But if yours is a 1500 gasser with the smallest engine, any 5er except the smallest might be too much.

BTW, there are numerous resources on line where you can lookup your exact make, model and year and find its towing capabilities.