Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
Fifth wheel lengths and towing them

I am a real rookie in the RV field. My questions may be elementary but I need advise in order to make a proper choice on what to purchase. I have pulled a fifth wheel that measured 36'-5" in length and it seemed extremely long when trying to jockey it into different places.

My question is, is there a big difference between the 36' + units and one that is 30'-33' in length. I know sometimes when comparing things like this a couple feet can seem like a lot and make great deal of difference. I am looking at units that are in that 30 to 33 foot range, although have not had an opportunity to pull one

Any advise in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ed Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No real difference. The longer trailers take a bit more space to turn and yo need to swing a bit wider.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
The length difference is almost always going to be behind the truck--king pins are generally the same place on fivers, unless you have an extended pin box. If you have a long bed truck, the extended pin box would not be needed.
We have found no problem in towing/backing our nominal 36' unit (37'1'' actual) but it does limit where you can get it in some parks. Of course, the shorter you are, it is sometimes easier to maneuver, especially if large rocks and trees are abundant. Mostly it just takes practice. But, have found myself giving up several times after trying for 20 minutes to back in. The more help you have yelling at you, the harder it gets...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
The more help you have yelling at you, the harder it gets...
Ain't that the truth though. Darling Wife has been trained to keep her mouth shut and use hand signals only. Works fine, but I still get out and look things over about half-way into the backing turn. Tow mirrors just don't allow me to see enough to be certain in a tight parking situation. I understand why pull-thru spaces are in high demand.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
There are some advantages to the longer trailers when it comes to backing. Try to back a 10ft trailer then one at 36ft and you will soon find that the longer trailer is slower to react to the steering wheel.The short one will quickly get you into trouble because it quickly jacknifed.
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
further away from the kingpin the trailer tires are, the longer the reaction time when backing up. If ya ever get the opportunity, try backing up a tractor trailer and you'll see.

John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote